Orthotics

Wasn’t sure whether this should go in gear or general, hmmmm.

Any other TriTalkers wear orthotics?

I’ve worn them for about 30 years and did try the without option a few times sadly gives me great pains in the ankles… in fact the whole reason I was fitted with them back in 1989.

I have had the full length handmade versions for years - they suit me and my foot as I am always susceptible to sessamoiditus and thus need the extra cushioning around my toes and ball of big toe. The 3/4 ones are no good for me.

My previous supplier has retired and I am struggling to find anyone who understands a) that we don’t all want 3/4 pairs, and b) that the full length have to be semi-solid and not too flimsy due to the fact that they are being rammed in and out of shoes all the time, not to mention shoes with a narrow hole due to our tri laces. As an example 3 pairs running shoes minimum, road, trail, fell, not to mention training, cycling, off road cycling etc etc.

Anyone else use them, if so how many pairs do you have, handmade or off the shelf, how long do yours last.

ps please don’t let me be the only flappy flat footed tri 'round here!

Never heard of that before! Sorry, no help to you.

I had a full length custom set made here: www centralhealth org uk / foot-clinic (why can’t we add URLs?)
I personally hated them and after my issues persisted despite the orthotics - I was referred elsewhere and after further analysis was told they made no difference to me - so gladly binned them.
But they did full custom molds etc so unique for me if thats what you are after.

1 Like

What if rather than extra padding under the sesamoid bones there is a lack of the hard orthotic material?

(As an aside I once had to email a picture of them to a friend’s physio as he couldn’t figue out her pain from spinning and didn’t believe the bones existed :man_shrugging: )

1 Like

That’s what caused it all - pronation using non-padded fell shoes (dreadful for some of us those Walshes) and 3/4 length orthotics. It took me about 2 full years to get rid of it, and even now I have to be careful and manage it all. I don’t wear fell shoes that much, mostly on the tops I have my trial shoes on. Can’t do too much road stuff as it bores me (and I’m much better at changing gear and ascending/descending etc than steady as you go effort).

I know someone who had the sessamoids removed (ouch) and I think it took him around 4-5 years to be able to run again. Might ask him how he’s getting on nowadays as at the time, he said twas the biggest mistake he’d ever made.

No sorry, I meant specifically a small area under the sesamoids not the 3/4 as I read you said they didn’t work for you.

1 Like

I have worn custom made orthotics for about 4-5 years. I was getting pain in my ankle, just below the bony sticky out bit. Went to a physio who said, quote “those are the flattest feet I have ever seen”, he then went and got a colleague to come and have a look as that’s how amazed he was. He referred me to the podiatrist. Wanted me to make an appointment with them on a day he was in so he could come and share the joy of pancake trotters with them. Poked his head round the down and chuckled “Think you can see what the problem is”. Twat.

Anyway. Mine are custom made from a foot imprint, they are made of foam and are full length. First pair I got had a vinyl like covering on top which was horrid when wearing no socks. Ones I have now have a sort of felt covering.

Mine cost £95 a pop and they last me about 2-3 pairs of trainers. I am big and heavy and so tend to go through trainers quickly. I usually get about 500kms out of a pair of trainers. They have offered me a longer lasting option which is a carbon casted one. These cost about £300 but are supposed to last longer. What puts me off about those is it sounds like there is not much give in them. When I first get new ones or if I haven’t run for a while I get blisters and/or pain on my arches until I have broken them in.

Some physios etc scoff at orthotics and think there is no need. For me they work, I have never had a return of that injury that first put me in them so I will always wear them.

2 Likes

Yeah they’re not popular but I think that’s because they used to be over prescribed. Also, that they don’t work the way it used to be thought that they do. It used to be thought that, for example, if you over pronate when standing that an orthotic would ‘prop’ that up by supporting the bones. But it turns it the change the muscle activation and that then affects foot motion. (I don’t have time for references but defo remember Benno Nigg had a good study showing this)

I had a couple of pairs made many years ago, mainly for walking boots. One pair was done using an air bladder system, the other set was done in Germany using some super fancy machine as you’d expect and were expensive!

They are great for walking, but I find them no good for running as they are too firm and I get blisters on my arch on longer runs (high arch foot). I guess they need to be quite firm to retain their contours.