Outlaw X

Yeah, think he may be racing something ITU?

Nice job for George :+1:, Tim 3mins back in 2nd.

3 Likes

3:38…?!

Jesus, is it a fast course?

Couple of local fast boys playing at this one, Alex Dalton should get a huge pb, but they won’t get anywhere near the super humans.

Looks a good race.

750m swim today.

1 Like

Cheers, just been talking to a guy who did it, good swimmer, said his toes were numb at the first buoy.

Quite a few DNS.

1 Like

it was.

on Saturday water at 6:30am was 13.1C with air temp of 6C so I shortened all sprint swim lengths to 400m (kids events were halved)

on Sunday, water temp had dropped to 12.2C but air was “warmer” at 11C so Gauntlet swim reduced to 1000m, all standard distance to 800m with kids events again halved.

4 Likes

Straight into 12 degrees

Running bomb…!

What a ledg

8 Likes

George ‘low profile’ Goodwin :wink::joy:

No sneaking around now.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting that, I hadn’t seen it.
No I guess there won’t be as much sneaking around now, at least not in UK events. He likes to keep his feet on the ground, how about a ‘lower profile’? I doubt he’ll be making any Joe Skipper or Sam Long type videos.
I have to say that the event was excellent and the Outlaw Team should be proud of what they achieved over the weekend. This was better run than almost every other IM event I’ve been to, run close by Vitoria Gasteiz before it was taken over by IM.

4 Likes

Good to hear the event was a success.

It is a tough one regarding the videos.
Sponsors want visibility and athletes with social media followers but they also want intelligent people that can promote their products properly and win races.

I only follow 4-5 athletes on social myself and am not influenced at all by their kit and nutrition.

Just keep winning races though, you can’t really do any more than that!

2 Likes

so was the Gauntlet sw1m basically just one lap including the river section, rather than 2 laps?

yes the event was superbly run, and is a smashing venue, highly recommended. where was everyone FFS??

I didn’t find the sw1m stupidly cold, tho I was all gimped up (as usual).
I have raced late Sept for about 8 odd yrs now, at the Brutal and Triathlon X Half, and only once has the sw1m been shortened due to bad weather (Brutal last yr, too windy) every other year it was fine, so OSB were just plain unlucky we had that cold Northerly at the weekend.
So the 1900m sw1m was shortened to 750m, given it was forecast to ‘feel like’ 5 or 6 degrees on Sun am, which was a correct decision IMHO.
As it turned out, it was a wee bit warmer, and the wind was ok early on and slightly sheltered down in Transition anyway, and pre-race it was actually okayish temp-wise if you were moderately wrapped up. As by definition of a covid-friendly race, we weren’t huddled or sheltering in a transition tent.

RANT: But the daft officious BTF rules did not allow us to wear any sw1m gloves, in some ridiculous belief that they might provide some performance advantage . Has anyone ever found any (non-webbed obvs) sw1m gloves that give you any advantage whatsoever? No. They are horrible to sw1m in, no feel, and no-one would choose to do so, other than that it helps you feel your fingers in T1 and at the start of the bike. One bloke I spoke to couldn’t feel his hands for the first 10 mins into the bike. For this safety benefit only, even if there was any slight performance advantage, then (non-webbed) sw1m gloves should have been allowed in this instance. I made this point at Celtman, and showed them the type of gloves in use e.g. B70 thermal ones I use which are very thin, and they relented in future years and dropped their Norseman-aping gloves ban.

I don’t think OSB will take too kindly to winner George Goodwin comparing it to a local go kart race compared to an MDot race :rofl:, tho I can see what he was driving at! The Outlaw and other OSB series events are right up there with anything in Triathlon. This was undoubtedly the premier Triathlon event of the UK (shortened) season.

From 220:
"Goodwin has also benefitted from the Professional Triathletes Organisation backing both Outlaw X and Helvellyn with pro prize money as it continues to support its members during a year of cancelled events. Ranked 40 in the PTO rankings, he can now eye another payday in December having scraped into the last automatic qualifying place for the $1,000,000 PTO world championship race in Daytona, Florida.

“What they’ve done is mad,” he said. “This is a grassroots event and if you think about it in terms of other sports, it’s like the F1 season being cancelled and Lewis Hamilton turning up to your local go-kart race – and them paying him to do it. To see it in triathlon is pretty cool.”"

2 Likes

no - it was a 1000m straight out to a buoy at 500m, turn, and back to the swim exit in the usual spot. by setting the buoy at 500m it was easier for Swim Safety to manage and removed after the Gauntlet swim to leave the next at 400m (all buoys were set at 100m apart) to give an 800m swim for standard distances.

1 Like

some do, some don’t, offer advantage. the problem is if you offer gloves to all competitors it becomes impossible for TOs to check every one to see if they are webbed or not, so it’s easier to not allow on practical grounds. capiche??

d’oh yeah it would have been too long. in my experience the river section is colder anyway, so peeps avoided that

I’ve never seen any performance enhancing non webbed sw1m gloves. all the ones I’ve seen are just for warmth benefits, at the cost of feel (and are definitely slower!)

we took the water temp in both the lake and river as I know the river is usually cooler - unusually the lake was colder! OK - only by 0.1C but even so it was a bit of a surprise.

1 Like

Anyone registered for this year? Sounds like a good event.