Paid to exercise

Yeah, but what about all the households that don’t have mortgages. Are there any figures on that? it must be a lot. My point really, is that the demographic here is not particularly representative; especially exercise wise :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This always reminds me of a conversation I had with a younger girl at work.
She thought you had to be killed at work to get death in service benefit, it was a bank so shot in a raid or something like that. She was over the moon when I explained it to her.

6 Likes

I think i have something with work. TBH i can’t really remember. But kind of along Jim’s thinking, it’s statistically unlikely that something will happen. A bird in hand and all that. Maybe thats flawed, maybe it’s not. But insuracne isn’t big business for no reason, and that reason definitely not philanthropy! I pay a ton on pet insurance, which i’m not sure is the right thing to do. Chucking money in an account would probably be more wise. Though the chances of the cats doing something stupid is probably reasonably high!!

I did think about some sort of cover when mini GB #2 came along, but never followed up on it. I hate dealing with annoying sales people, so i just didn’t bother.

i paid for my first dog and didn’t get cover for a condition that i didn’t know was pre existing…

I didn’t get cover for my second and was landed with a multiple 000 bill when it had to go to a special clinic for two weeks of intensive care. Just doing a rough calculation, the insurance would probably have cost about the same across its life…

i accepted the fact that if i could not pay for the home at any stage then i /we would down size…

3 Likes

ha - you should be so lucky - 34 for me and nothing less. (I’m an ex rugby prop forward)

1 Like

me and Mrs FB have never had life insurance cover. we just didn’t see the point of paying out good money so one of us collected a shitload of insurance if the other died. we lived together, worked together, played together, had no kids and the chances were/are that if one of us went in an accident then 2 of us would go as we spend so much time together. we have savings and assets which cover our lifestyle so don’t need a whole lot more from an insurance policy

2 Likes

For me, the main benefit of pet insurance is for smoothing out the cost of vet bills over the life of the pet. The insurers are in the business to make money, so in the long run you’re probably not going to get more back from them than you put in. You might have a pet that lives a long and happy life with no major medical conditions and it’ll cost you more by having insurance. Equally, you might have a pet that has serious medical conditions at a young age and you’ll see the benefit of the insurance straight away.

One of our dogs had a suspected back problem and the vet suggested that an MRI scan would clarify what was going on. The cost of the scan was estimated at £2-3k, depending on whether it involved an overnight stay, and if it could have potentially indicated that a £5k op was necessary. As it was covered by the insurance, we went for the scan and it showed that there was nothing wrong. If we hadn’t been insured we would probably have waited to see if the dog got better by herself and not gone for the scan.

for sure, and you are paying for the comfort in knowing that should there be a problem, you can take appropriate action…