Panini Classroom Challenge (sticker books)

Convince me this isn’t ultimately a thinly veiled marketing exercise to get school children into their sticker albums every year. I can’t believe the ESFA and schools support it.

One school in the country gets a “fantastic” £2k prize. Panini hand out thousands of sticker books in the process…

4 Likes

Disappointed. I thought this was some sandwich based challenge. Not stickers. :pensive:

16 Likes

Same, came here for a discussion about a mozzarella, tomato and pesto panni, leaving disappointed.

5 Likes

been dying a death over the years, kids collect FIFA points now, not stickers! Add there’s competition with “trading cards” , basically top trumps for football and I guess they need something. El Nino’s primary school spent half the morning confiscating them and even stopped kids bringing them in at one point.

2 Likes

I remember during Gulf War 1 there was a panni sticker book for that. Who has a Tornado and wants to trade for a Chieftain tank.

Very odd

5 Likes

Trade you shiny Saddam Hussain for Chemical Ali?

10 Likes

Yeah I guess there are a lot of other options now too; but it all boils down to a marketing exercise in primary schools. This should not be happening full stop, as these things are addictive.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure I heard Luke Littler say on an interview a day or two after winning the PDC Darts competition the other week that he was going to buy some FIFA points with his 200k winnings.

To be fair he is still a kid.

6 Likes

I’ve never heard of it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Adds to potential bullying also, stealing stickers, bullied because you dont have Pique (cool reference to Mexico 86 Panini stickers there :wink:)

2 Likes

Absolutely loved these as a kid.

Amazed they are still going.

2 Likes

The terminology evolution (and inconsistency) was also interesting to me too.

In my school they were “shineys”. Yet in some of the other middle and high schools in the same town they were “foils”.

Stickers were ultimately replaced by tazos, and then pogs. Bet my mum still has a bag of the latter somewhere. I know she still has the completed folder of looney tunes tazos. People have that set listed on eBay for >£100 :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Was the same where I grew up.

They were definitely shineys.

Pogs and tazos, blimey, not thought about those in a long time!

1 Like

I was perfect age for pokemon first editions. Never ever predicted they would remain trendy. Age 11-12 I just assumed it would die off completely when we started losing interest.

ETA:
just seen a first edition charizard shiny sells for >£100,000 now

2 Likes

Back in the day (a very distant distant day). I used to go and play at a mate’s house after primary school. Every day we would walk over to the Newsagent’s. He would give me 50p given to him by his Dad, I would buy 5 packs of stickers, he would then nick another 10 whilst I am paying…
Worked well for the couple of weeks until he got caught, school informed, parents involved and I was no longer allowed to go down and play.
I can confirm that I no longer hang out with such shady individuals, but alas can also say the 1985 album was the closest I came to completing one, so maybe crime does pay :thinking:

6 Likes

my brother and i beat our mum into submission and she allowed us a pack of World Cup Soccer Stars Mexico 70 stickers per week…

no one else for miles around could afford them (and i am not sure how we did), so there was little opportunity to trade…

We were still buying them when they were about to be removed from sale and so my mum bought a whole box…and still rationed us to a pack a week…and we still didn’t complete the set…

2 Likes

It’s Bakugan now…