Politics

You need 10% deposit and tax is the killer (especially if you also have a flat) so you need at least 150k cash to buy a modest property in London.

So (honest question) how do most of the 8m+ people manage? Social Housing/Local Authority housing?

Tbh itā€™s not much different around here, or anywhere nice when you compare wages to house prices. I canā€™t help thinking these help-to-buy schemes are creating the next bubble. If you buy new/off-plan you seem to pay a hefty premium over something similar 20 years old (with a bigger garden!).

Around here, If you compare a 4-5 bed detached house built around 2000 to a brand new one, youā€™re talking 6 figures difference. Itā€™s nuts.

1 Like

Didnt have alcohol in April when I went to Shite Tart Lane, you must remember that day, the first team to score and win ā€¦ yes sure you remember :wink: . It was dry for away fans :frowning: At the LS its 5.20 for pint of Amstel, or 5.20 for a bottle of Heineken (you can only get bottles at food kiosks!!!) or a fiver on the concourse island just outside the turnstiles for pint of ale or IPA. Its LS owned and controlled though, club makes very little on food and drink.

How can charging Ā£5 a pint not be making mucho profit?

Haha, fair.
My OS experiences are all non football related. The prices at the mlb games were outrageous. Just assumed it was fairly consistent.

Pricing at NWHL is a big upside. Including the length of opening (3hrs before the game, a couple after). Makes it more of a day out. And the pie and pint deal for Ā£5 in the first hour is pretty unbeatable.

Accept its different as a visiting fan however. Got chatting with an Everton ST holder in Geneva holiday Inn pre-Etape. Heā€™s been there too. He said he thought it was great but the experience he described was very different from whatā€™s available in the home section (micro brewery real bar, actual ā€œpubsā€ with free our spirit mixers, wine, etc)

1 Like

rentals from people, much like myself that bought 20 years + ago. We own a flat also which would probably be the limit for even many above average earners. If i hadnā€™t got on the ladder in '99 i donā€™t know where weā€™d be, certainly not where we are. My house has doubled in value and some since 2012, although last year or 2 has stabilised or dropped a little! modest 3 bed semi at least 650-700k in many of the burbs 10 miles + out. Thatā€™s a 70k deposit and 35k tax for first time buyer and a mortgage of 600 minimum is looking at 25 year at close to 2.5k a month! Youā€™d need to be earning over 120k p.a. salary to get that kind of mortgage

London Stadium take much of the profit, club get a % cut after the first Ā£X in profit or something.

A pint in Burkina Faso is Ā£2.86 (2128CFA)
I used the price of a 330ml bottle and scaled that up to 568ml.

A pint in Northampton is a fiver.
Iā€™ve been to a few places in London where itā€™s Ā£4, butā€¦the Beavertown Tap is about a fiver. As are a few pubs in Homerton.

Soā€¦after a quick play with the OGL dataā€¦

The average income of first time buyer(s) in London, over the past five years, is Ā£79k.
They put down a Ā£126k deposit on a purchase price of Ā£409k

For people moving homes, their average income is Ā£121k and an average purchase price of Ā£670k, with a Ā£269k deposit.

For all purchase types in London, we are looking at a recorded income of Ā£98k, purchase price of Ā£524k and a deposit of Ā£189k.

That puts home owning Londoners in the top 5% (using some assumptions about ā€œhouseholdsā€, in the same way the IFS do)

In fact, you only need a weekly household income of Ā£1,100 after tax, to be in the top 2% of UK households.

So before casting aspersions about ā€œThe Top %ā€ probably best to check where you are in it

1 Like

I paid Ā£6 or something for a chicken burger the weekend for my son inside the turnstiles. a 500ml bottle of coke is Ā£3! I bought him a smallish pizza the previous game for Ā£8 on the island. The island stands are better choice and value generally but still a bit of a rip off

I got a manila envelope from HMRC this week :roll_eyes: Yes, as suspected they miscalculated my income tax when I started getting my Forces pension last year, and I owe them. I realised this when they changed my tax code mid year and started taking a lot more out of my pension; kept schtum as I assumed theyā€™d under taxed me. Ho-hum.

Where did you get that from? That seems very, very low for a household income surely!?

Nearly Ā£4.5k a month after tax isnā€™t what Iā€™d describe as very very low; ask people who work in retail.

He said ā€˜weeklyā€™ income btw.

1 Like

My mistake, i missed that, obviously thinking monthly! (and i meant very low to be in the top 2%)

So from this thread Iā€™m hearing the Triathlon demographic is largely fed up of discussing Brexit and the current goings on in Westminster, and a sure-fire vote winner for said target voters would be massively lowering tax on a pint.

Iā€™m with this. :fist:

4 Likes

The tax break on pints would be funded by a levy on posts to IMJ.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I quite agree with this. Ā£650-700k is a massive place. Ā£700k is also only Ā£25k SDLT. For ref, my mate just agreed a sale for his 1 bed for Ā£305k, which is only Ā£5k more than he paid well over 2yrs ago so prices have been static for quite some time. Thatā€™s z3 on the northern line.

For that, youā€™d need a Ā£30k deposit, fair enough, but stamp duty is much less punitive now that it was. I bought at a similar price and it was Ā£9k, his was Ā£5k. Ā£30k might seem like a lot, but I came from a ā€œpoorā€ background with no parental support at all through uni or anything (full student loans on means testing, etc). I saved through part time jobs through school to get me through uni, and then saved from the moment i got my first grad job (nothing like big banking money). When I bought I was eating soup and a bread roll each evening to scrape enough money together to pay legal fees.

Itā€™s all about choices. I wanted to buy, and so made sacrifices to enable me to save.

The above is not meant to be me saying how great I am, Iā€™m just saying itā€™s possible to get on the ladder without bank of mum and dad, or other support.

Yep, hence a TT training camp would be a good option, as we can have an evening pint without worrying about racing the next day :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

IFS - ā€œWhere Do You Fit In?ā€ Tool.

All of this data is available open source.

1 Like

If weā€™re still allowed into Spain then! :rofl:

Cheers - interesting stat to see where i fit.

Is this like FTP where we all boast at how rich we are?! :rofl: (fyi - my FTP is as shocking as as my WDYFI!!! ) :smile: )

2 Likes