POLL: Vaccination

I’m not an expert, however, mass vaccination has erradicated some diseases, like Polio and Smallpox. I do realise that Corona Viruses are more sophiosticated and may not be erradicaced completely, however, mass vaccination may help us to manage it

No, it’s eradicated one of those diseases, Polio is till out there, although perhaps you could say some strains have been - still it likely will soon. No other human diseases have been eradicated. That’s not to say vaccination is a bad thing obviously, but one eradication doesn’t sound quite as impressive as lots!

I’d take it if it gave me the freedom to leave my house apart from shopping and to take part in events again

1 Like

Measles was classed as eradicated in many countries until people stopped getting vaccinated and it came back.

2 Likes

Same & we’ve got to do it twice :grimacing:

As long it doesn’t have to be injected by a snake, I’ll be fine :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am pretty sure I will have it when offered. But I suspect I will be way down the queue. Early 40s, no health issues, work from home. Probably be one of the last

I’ll take it and all the tent mates at Dragon Back had better bloody do the same. :laughing:

2 Likes

Older adults in a care home and care home workers
All those who are 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
All those who are 75 years of age and over
All those who are 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals, excluding pregnant women and those under 18 years of age
All those who are 65 years of age and over
Adults aged 18 to 65 years in an at-risk group
All those aged 60 and over
All those aged 55 and over
All those aged 50 and over

This is the suggested order apparently. Im not even on the list at all

1 Like

I saw somewhere this morning that the Swiss medical regulator isn’t prepared to approve any of the 3 candidates without further information from the manufacturers.
Whether that’s just a forgone conclusion or not I don’t know. I’m yet to be convinced of either the safety or efficacy of these vaccines, I can’t believe anyone is, but I guess I’ll take one eventually but put me and my kids at the back of the line please.

we’re halfway down that list :slight_smile:

We’ve been informally told getting it next week, or possibly week after if there’s a delay. Agnosticism sounds typical, only healthcare workers I’ve seen giving it any thought are those working well off the front lines.

Don’t know how flexible would be around covid vaccine but yes wouldn’t be surprised. Contracts state something about taking reasonable measures to avoid infection. Flu vaccine isn’t “mandatory” in UK, but is as part of my Australia applications along with commitment to yearly BBV tests.

1 Like

Aussie vacs cost us an extra £1200 for Little One and she hasn’t even been yet.

No childcare allowance or kindie acceptance without vacs in Oz.

1 Like

Which vaccines did she need for Aus that wouldn’t have had in UK anyway?

Glad to read the tone on this thread. Sensible, non-plussed, quiet hope without belief that world will change overnight.

3 Likes

Hep C (3 shots with 3mth interval) and chicken pox. IIRC, I do recall the bill!

Ah OK. I’ve had Hep C but only through work.

Hidden downsides to covid, Could have just sent her to a pox party and let her catch it and save yourself a little bit. Not a cheap bill!

It certainly wasn’t cheap but gives peace of mind whether we go or not. I have a feeling one of those is now included for kids in UK but wasn’t when we did it.

BBC suggested it’s been ok’d quicker in the UK because it’s a new body authorising medicines etc., as a result of Brexit otherwise we’d have probably waited for their authorisation.

Possibly similar for Switzerland Matt.

I’m guessing care home workers will be similar to the front line of the NHS in that it’s probably in their contract.

I’m hoping it’s the beginning of the end, and that there will be a large amount of the at risk people vaccinated by Easter to allow some return to normality. I’m not particularly suggesting parkrun etc.

Hopefully we can be sensible as a population for another 3-4 months to keep it from getting out of hand again.

not likely if the idiot conspiracy theorists keep banging on with their idiocies. Thalidomide is trending on twitter comparing the vaccine with that but seemingly either forgetting or just ignoring that thalidomide is not a vaccine, and it was not fully trialled prior to first use,