Post season recovery

:joy:

3 Likes

What, its looks really useful, check this out:

Drink some water and buy our overpriced Radox. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Nah, I wonā€™t be looking at that :rofl:!

2 Likes

In the ā€œoff seasonā€ I look for fun events, This year I had an Ultra run in early October, if my foot recovers, I have a Marathon at the end of October, and a 100mile Ultra at the end of November. I donā€™t do any specific training for Ultraā€™s just rely on my base fitness and make sure I eat enough. Last weekend, I did Cyclotour de Lac Leman, rather than treat it as a solo race, I helped 15 of my cycling club buddies to complete the 180km ride in under 5 hours (I did a solo pull for the last 80km)

I eat chocolate, I drink beer with real alcohol in it. Iā€™ll put on maybe 2kg, who cares, itā€™ll go in January.

I hate not training, however, I have rest days if I donā€™t feel like training. Psycologically it makes a massive difference knowing that I donā€™t have to train.

Building bikes is my other passion, Iā€™ll get on with some of those bike projects that I have postponed since the spring.

I race on Zwift as part of a team, along with @jeffb and @mw22. Its full on once a week, but great to be part of a team, not just riding/racing solo. As an added benefit, my FTP will actually increase due to Zwft racing

The off season doesnā€™t mean not training, it means just pulling back 5-10% and having a bit of fun. Iā€™m still building a base, Iā€™ll probably be stronger in Jan next year than I was in Jan this year.

5 Likes

Similar here, except a lower level and Iā€™ve been a bit out of structured training in the last 18 months. I do struggle to lose weight though, but donā€™t really put much on either, I suspect my blood glucose isnā€™t helping on that.

Iā€™ll try and do some fell races and trail races, not quite to ultra distance though. Maybe 1-2.5 hours.

Yeah, the Zwift adds a bit of fun to it all really, enjoyed the TTTā€™s we did last year and depending on how the Tuesdayā€™s go Iā€™ll use them as hard sessions knowing I wonā€™t be able to do it every week. Group races donā€™t really suit me though.

Anything else is generally just a plod or to get out for some fresh air.

For the first time in years, Iā€™m committed to an off-season.

A combination of age, busy at work, a long running season, persistent niggles and a possible loss of enthusiasm has contributed to this decision.

The IT band is possibly the most worrying, as had this c. 12 years ago and it took months to get over.

The itinerary over the next few weeks will be rowing, strength work and the odd spin class.

4 Likes

Probably a good idea if youā€™ve had a long year, and also baby related sleep deprivation!

1 Like