POT HUNTERS

I know it has no effect on me but makes me so pi$$ed when I see people who are experienced athletes taking part in come and tris and decimating the field and still take the come and tri trophy home.

Any athlete/race in particular?

Are these races not for first time athletes ā€¦?!
Surely the trophy / prizes should be for athletes new to the sport?
If someone wants to do a sprint/ super sprint?! Fair enough but they should forgo the prizeā€¦

One of my local races in Scotland, the guy is kitted out with a TT bike, HUUB AMEMOI trisuit and I look at him and think he really should be in the sprint. There is a series of races and he has won the last 2 come and tri events

Rant thread :see_no_evil::rofl:

5 Likes

To be fair, the context and level of competition is almost always mentioned when the ā€œlook at me, I won a triathlonā€ post goes up on ā€˜the socialsā€™, along with the thanks to sponsors etc. :wink:

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Lionel Sandman just raced his ā€œlocalā€ triathlon, Tecumsch Tri. As someone said you really feel for the person who came second

1 Like

Soā€¦is this like Olympic medal cyclists turning up to your local evening 10TT and taking that out?
Or the GB Tri squad turning up to a local evening 5km and taking that out?
Or a Test Match cricketer turning up to play in the West Country local league?

Iā€™m just wondering where the lines are drawn for this one

Iā€™d say cyclist and tri examples are fine, everyone is perfectly entitled to have some fun at a local event. The difference is if it specifically targeted at beginners.

Might be a slightly different point regarding the cricketer as completely changing a team sport, whereas my 5k wouldnt be affected by Alex Yee etc.

I guess he chose that one because you can run almost all of the swimā€¦

Rant thread! Awesome.

I think Chriswim got it there. The Come And Tri events are for new starters - so just leave them be. Pick on someone your own size.

I had a similar question on here a while ago when I contemplated going in to the local sprint tri dressed up and on my wifeā€™s commuter with basket and all. Was going to put a flower pot at the front and some ā€œhiddenā€ ITU tri bars. At 300w thatā€™d still be moving at quite some pace.

I eventually decided not to, out of respect of the ones who turn up at a sprint event and consider it a major achievement to get through. Why discourage the ones who have taken that big step up, signed up for a triathlon and actually gone to the start line?

I might still do it some day but itā€™d be at least a half IM, if not a full IM. Thatā€™d be a challenge to me myself and I, and not just to piss all over newcomers to the sport.

Soā€¦ Posers: Fā€™off and challenge yourself instead.

(If youā€™re doing it for charity itā€™s a different thing)

3 Likes

Exactly. Which is what I donā€™t get?
The pointy end guy maybe wanted some race specific prep and the ā€œCome and Try a Triā€ events are dirt cheap in that respect.
Why pay Ā£55 to prep for a quick T1 and T2, when you can pay Ā£10 and seal the deal?
Maybe if we could see this personā€™s Instagram etc, lauding his ā€œachievementā€ my ā€œhead would be turnedā€

Sounds a little douchey to me.

Tri is a bit of a funny composite sport, so you do get people who swam with swimming clubs as kids and are decent runners and cyclists, but have never done all three elements together in a triathlon. Theyā€™re always going to have a massive advantage over the more typical couch-to-tri crowd, or even the people with a background in just one of the disciplines. I think I finished in the top 3 in my AG in my first triathlon (Human Race Eton sprint).

I donā€™t see any issue with doing a ā€œcome and triā€ type event for your first race, but it does seem a bit odd to do a whole series of them if the first race reveals that you have some talent for the sport. Itā€™s not like cycling where you have to work your way up through the categories,