Race day urination

It felt weird the first time, but I now find it pretty easy. If I can, I try and get one out running the bike into T2 as that way its again longer before the socks get drenched!

The issue with Copenhagen was they had bike catchers immediately after the dismount line, so it was a no go!

It’s hard on any bike course that doesn’t have much in the way of long steady descents; not sure what it’ll be like in Hamburg. The descent off the massive road bridge could be ideal early on lap 2!

Austria was chocked-full of opportunities, as was Roth you may be surprised to hear (pretty undulating course!). Frankfurt also had a few long non-technical descents, tailor made for such activities!

The 113 is a nightmare if you need one on the fly. Only real opportunity is to be physically & mentally ready as you approach one of the off ramps over the A419

“ Symptoms include:

• slurred speech
  • extreme shivering or muscle pain
  • passing no urine in a day
  • severe breathlessness
  • “I feel like I might die”
  • skin mottled or discoloured”

Is the cause poor nutrition in an Ironman or Sepsis?

Hard to tell…

I assume you haven’t gotten into that sort of state? Why are you so worried? As long as you ‘race’ to your ability, take on food & drink; real food, not just gels…then you should be okay.

Doing an Ironman just on liquid fuel doesn’t seem like a good idea for most people…imho. Especially the further down the field you go. It’s why people end-up portaloo hopping on the run.

In the past I have linked to some very informative documents on hydration and salt levels. I’ll see if I can locate them once again.

1 Like

I had an awful T1 on Sunday partly because my hands were so cold but also because it was pretty crowded so went to a portaloo for wee. Previously when less crowded and near a drain I have just gone where I stood, easier to hide when raining too. I’ve previously done that and still had decent transition times. Could never go whilst running and it’s hard to find a hill long enough IMO. I have done it at the end of an IM swim once but did practice that.

I’ve stopped using Xendurance fuel5 because it makes me wee so much.

Isn’t that meant for MiGs?

MiGs? (Can’t post link to xendurance.eu)

Thought was what you meant. Where would you pee in that thing?

They have bags with funnels in the top to stick your thingy in.