Road Bike - Front Brake Lever – Left or Right?

I’ve gone to this technique now!
Without using the front.
I find I can scrub off less speed, in a more controlled manner, and go downhill quicker :tada:

Which got me thinking about swapping cables round … but then changing gear would be harder coming out :woman_shrugging:t4:

Hmm …

3 Likes

Thanks again everyone for an interesting debate. :sunglasses:

I spotted another one, albeit outside my budget, with a left front brake.

At which point it dawned on me, would the left front be more common on disc brakes?

As my current bike is circa 2005, with a 9-speed, I’ve got a lot to learn about modern bikes. :roll_eyes:

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

It takes between 10 and 30 minutes to swap brakes, and it’s almost all rewrapping the bar type to your standard that makes the difference. Even if you’d not got a clue, a couple of hours and some careful youtube watching and you’ll have it sorted.

EDIT - If you’re someone who uses sticky bar tape, or unfortunate enough to buy a bike with sticky bartape, all that goes out the window, and just buy some new handlebars too.

5 Likes

Even with disc brakes?
How do you swap them?

Do you not have to bleed them first?

4 Likes

Yeah, you’re right, add another 10 hours and a load of messy oil all over your kitchen floor if you’re on hydraulic.

3 Likes

@JibberJim - Even with no experience of doing this, that was how I imagined it would end up. :wink:

Which is why I would be supporting my LBS and giving them the job if required.

Although, based on the replies above, I would at least give a left lever front brake a go first.

4 Likes

It’s quite flat where you live isn’t it? I would definitely give it a go.

@Cobbie - As you well know, Harrow Hill was not the best prep for Kirkstone Pass & Shap Fell. :wink:

But, my main concern would be during the getting out of London part, to look for half decent hills.

Which echoes @FatPom’s point about instincts in the emergency stops required in London traffic. :astonished:

3 Likes

Nope, just swap the hydraulic hoses over; very simple if they’re external. Very little leakage as there are valves. There was a YT video of it on GCN channel.

5 Likes

Here you go…

2 Likes

Yeah it’s definitely not a hard job.

2 Likes

If the de-facto global standard for motorbikes is front brake lever on the right, why should bicycles be any different?

3 Likes

is the answer no motor?

1 Like

I have to say, having ridden BMX, MTB, Road, TT etc in this country, all right hand front brake, it made riding scooters when travelling earlier in my life a lot more straightforward.

I guess I didn’t even think about it likely being in conflict with what others would have experienced with a push bike. Does beg the question why the rest of the world went against that accepted “norm”, altho I guess push bikes probably came first!

New (to me) Bike – Part 1
After the informative debate on this thread, I bought a second-hand bike from Ebay. :sunglasses:

My old Trek was £599 new (I think) in 2005, but more recently has lived on the turbo for years.

As I now have an exercise bike for indoor training, this new bike would be for riding outdoors.

Which meant a ‘practise’ ride outside, further than to my car MOT place, seemed like a good idea.

I hadn’t got around to servicing my old road bike, so took my ‘Clydesdale’ MTB out instead.
(Compared to my old racing MTB, this weighs in at over 14kg!)

It also is fitted with flat pedals, so trainers, not carbon soled shoes.

Still, a lovely early Sunday morning and I retraced the start of my old training route.

Got as far as the first set of lights, reached down for my drinks bottle…

… and realised it was still in the fridge. :man_facepalming:

Back home I went, shaking my head, and started again. :roll_eyes:

Observations:
The standard of driving around here has not improved since the last time I regularly rode outside.
The standard of the road surfaces is even worse, which quickly resulted in sore wrists.
(As you don’t get this vibration problem on the turbo. :wink: )

Stopped for one photo, which looked better to the naked eye.

As I could see the Wembley arch behind the bike, which has disappeared in the photo above.

Overall, it was nice to be riding outside again, so I put an offer in on Ebay after I got home.

As a sign that I have a LOT of old kit, my trainer broke when I removed it after the ride. :roll_eyes:

End of part 1…

5 Likes

New (to me) Bike – Part 2
I bought the bike on Tuesday, but only pick it up from E14 / Isle of Dogs this morning.

I could see the Cutty Sark on the other side of the river.

Getting it in the car was a LOT easier than the back breaking effort required for the exercise bike.

And here it is…

A Jul.22 Planet X Pro Carbon, SRAM Force, Fulcrum Airbeat 550 wheels. :sunglasses:

With the front brake on the wrong side. :wink:

@Jorgan – That video link you posted about swapping hydraulic brakes was very helpful.

Unfortunately, I checked before buying and there is only one, not two, joins here. :frowning:

So, I plan to see how it goes with left hand front braking before making a final decision.

But if I do swap the brakes over, I’d ask the bike shop to put an extra join when they do.
(Just in case any future owner wants to swap it back.)

Technology has certainly moved on a bit since 2005.

I just need to add my pedals and then spend some time getting the seat height right.

Master Plan – Be fit enough to retrace my old 100km training route by this time next year.

Thanks again to everyone who chipped into this thread.

Unfortunately, I now have chores to do, so I’ve got to go. :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

Nice bike :heart_eyes::+1:t3::white_check_mark:

3 Likes