Road Bike - Front Brake Lever – Left or Right?

Whilst ‘just looking’ on Ebay, I found a bike with the front brake on the left lever.

Whereas, every bicycle, or motorcycle, I’ve ever ridden uses the right lever for this.

What is the collective TT wisdom:

• Left hand front braking is the Devil’s work.
  • Adapting to left hand front braking is easy.
  • Switching the cables around is easier.
  • Something else entirely.

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

As I’ve said before, from moto racing and riding, it’s just inherent that the front brake is on the right.
I’ve had hire bikes in Europe with them the other way around, you get used it but I’d rather not.
I like my dominant had to have the most modulation. Much easier to recover from a rear lock up than a front one

1 Like

It’s a GB vs the rest of (most of) the world divide I’m afraid. All my bikes have left hand front brake and front derailleur, this comes from my South African days and it was the same in France.

I ask for all new bikes to swapped over and it still catches Mr out every time he does anything on my bikes. It isn’t that easy to swap over your cycling style to be honest. It’s not like driving LH v RH drive cars. The fundamental, “emergency”, instinct is to pull the brakes as you’ve always done - a car still has the pedals in the same order, just the steering wheel and centre console swap. Bikes sold in the UK legally have to be RH front brake, so 90% of bike shops are swapping for sale here. Then I come along and ask for it to be swapped back - it’s not the most complex job.

2 Likes

Yup, when we went to Lanza a few people hired bikes and they were all configured different to how we have it in the UK with left hand front brake. Confused a few.

3 Likes

I think I have one of each on my bikes, doesn’t really bother me.

1 Like

Always set mine up (or changed it) to left hand front brake…you can brake with left hand and shift with right. Handy coming in/out of corners!

6 Likes

This, bloody foreigners :joy:

I also had a hire bike last year and it was wrong, I was terrified but luckily it was such a boring course brakes were hardly required.

They’ll be wanting steering wheels on the wrong side of the car next :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. :sunglasses:

@jeffb – In which case, it is just a matter of time before Al picks up on this.
(Or tubs vs. clinchers.) :wink:

6 Likes

Being a lifelong Campag user, I never understood that comment until i used Shimano, then I got it. :smile:

2 Likes

My Grandmother, right up to the day she died, could never grasp that Al Murray was playing a character here.

More worrying was that she completely agreed with him and thought he would make a good politician.

9 Likes

Depending if the frame is set up for one way or the other it can make for messy cable routing if you go against their intention. The front’s usually OK but the rear can need an extra big loop as it’s coming out of the wrong side of the head tube.

3 Likes

I have had a few rear-wheel airborne moments on my new Canyon road bike, because the left brake stops the front wheel. Still haven’t got used to it and probably never will.

3 Likes

Unless you’re on eTap, where you’d only be able to change up with your right lever :rofl:

1 Like

Bring British, and only ever having ridden British bikes, I’m obviously right lever for the front. I have ridden some hire bikes in Lanza - can’t recall if I just adapted or if they had some setup the British way :thinking:

This topic has made me think about what the pros do however. Do the riders just state their preference, or do all British riders just learn the European way? The former would make swapping bikes a bit of an extra complication, so I’m guessing the latter?

4 Likes

I would have expected the pros have their bikes set up however they want but as you say swapping bikes could be a problem. In the middle of a race, tired, under pressure, swap bikes barrelling towards a turn and squeezing the wrong one is going to go sideways and right quick.

3 Likes

I can genuinely never remember and am rather surprised that anyone might be bothered by it.

As someone who likes hills and is very scared of crashing, I tend to put both on together

4 Likes

Im the same, not really aware of what does what. Dont think I am a good enough rider to need to know. Need to slow down? Grab both brakes

5 Likes

Never had a problem with it when hiring abroad but I do like to feather the rear when braking as opposed to yanking it on - that would be weird using your right hand

4 Likes

Glad it’s not just me. I ride a right rear now in Aus and don’t know the difference. Think until recently I had a commuter that was left rear too without knowing.

1 Like

That’s not normal for Oz though

1 Like