Rowing and Sculling

Anyone else do sweep rowing or sculling? Certainly helps with fitness, strength and the mental aspect.

3 Likes

no - but use the Concept C2 (and skierg) quite regularly for general fitness. Have both at home.

ETA: never rowed on water - just never appealed - although Mrs FB did.

2 Likes

Same as FB use the c2 machines, can get in a good hard workout without being beat up afterwards. Would like to try on water sometime too.

2 Likes

Rowing was my main sport from 1991 to 2005. I trained and raced in everything from singles to 8s.

My last race was at Henley in 2005, but I only finally sold my single last year. It was my dream boat when I bought it and I kept telling myself that I would take up rowing again but never found the time. I loved the 8 years that I rowed on the Tideway, but it’s not a good place to try to learn to scull again after a long layoff :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Used a C2 a lot when i trained. Should really get one now.

Would love to have rowed on water. (The youngest in the household is learning to row with Leicester).

Am currently coaching a former German international rower (and Oxford President) as she transitions to triathlon…it is an interesting piece of coaching…

3 Likes

I would imagine that she’s used to suffering a lot in her training and racing and can dig very deep :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

very much so…she collapsed 400m from the finish of a recent half IM whilst second…

2 Likes

I’m racing all sorts of Masters races. Masters head of the river, Henley Masters, British masters. Bigger plans next year. It’s a different kind of pain and intensity. I recommend it, as once you have learnt to row, and get the power down, the fun/pain begins.
Always wanted to try the straight line kayak racing also (K1). Looks so smooth, fast and crazy knackering.
So many sports to try, not enough time in life.

9 Likes

i coached a woman to do that (not the technical stuff - it’s not my sport - but general conditioning). Got to top 3 in GB but they wouldn’t enter her for the worlds and so she walked.

2 Likes

Rowing is a funny sport because most people give it up in their 30s, either because family commitments mean they can’t spend all of their evenings and weekends training or because natural aging means you start to lose the top end and become uncompetitive.

I don’t know what it’s like now, but when I stopped “senior” rowing there was a big lack of depth in the younger masters categories until you were in your 40s, so you either dropped down through the squad to the lower boats or you had to find some old blokes who you could row with without dragging the average crew age down too far :roll_eyes:

I loved the social aspects of being part of a crew and a club. Some of my best, lifelong friends were made at rowing clubs. I was fortunate enough to meet Mrs W at a rowing club and we raced in the same crew many times

6 Likes

for the C2 guys out there - fucking amazing

4 Likes

That’s crazy fast.

Currently working with a guy who’s about 30 now and still rows at a decent level. He’s trying to break his 2000m pb of 6.09 to meet the GB olympic qualifying time. Seems like a lot of work.

1 Like

1029 watts average :flushed: :ok_hand:

1 Like

My wife has just taken up gig rowing - she’s only done two learn to row sessions so far but is loving it.
It seems quite different to what most of us would know of rowing and looks to be nearly all upper body based.

2 Likes

Master eJC rows…

1 Like

Yeah, I think the action for gig rowing is very different to normal competitive rowing. I don’t think they have a sliding seat so it will be pretty much all upper body.

I’ve seen people racing in Cornish gigs in the Great River Race and it looks like hard work. The race is 21 miles from Richmond to Greenwich and is for “traditional “ boats, so no sliding seats. I raced it in a 6 man Thames cutter skiff, so basically sculling but with a fixed bench seat. That’s not good on the arse :flushed:

1 Like