Run focussed Iron distance training

Some great info and ideas on the thread. Maybe worth taking heed. You started a thread asking for advice, got loads of good advice from really good IM runners and coaches then said “Don’t care I’m doing this plan”

2 Likes

If anyone wants to answer the question I asked, let me know :joy:

We posted almost the same thing at the same time!

1 Like

Here we go :rofl:

https://youtu.be/POMm6qDCVj8

6 Likes

“ Anyone got experience with run focussed plans? Examples?”

You are forgetting key points. Its a lot of hard aerobic running. The recovery from this is key so you need a lot of sleep and good quality food. You are also using the sympathetic nervous system more and this lowers the immune system and can lead to illness and also hamper recovery. There is only one surefire way to improve in the long term, consistency but it doesnt sell books or sound trendy.

1 Like

I’d be interested in how the immune system is impacted?

Consistency sure helps, lockdown has helped this year to be easily my most consistent :blush:

and i gave a generic example of a run focus. You want more tailored help it’s £100 per month :wink:

2 Likes

Just back from a steady 1 hour run. While plodding along, some random head-diarrhoea came out about the advantages of running easy and often:

• Habit: If you run almost every day, then the question becomes “when do I run tomorrow?” instead of “do I run tomorrow?”
  • Less likely to bottle out: Running hard is really tough. And when you know something is going to be mentally tough, it is tempting to bottle out when not feeling it.
  • Even an aerobic run can be tough. Eg. 1 hour at zone 2 just now required concentration to maintain HR in range when my mind started wandering off down rabbit holes.
  • Even as “easy” run can be tough. It’s still a run, it’s dark, it’s raining, no breakfast yet, you could be in bed etc.
  • So basically you’re still Rambo even if you run slow.
  • Specificity #1: At IM T2 your legs are going to be tired. If you run almost every day in training, your legs are going to be tired. So they’ll be used to it, er, right?.
  • Specificity #2: Best case, run IM pace might be similar to fresh Z2 pace?. Dialling that pace in seems intuitive.
  • Metabolic stuff #1: Something about increasing use fat as fuel, not going to pretend I fully get the science but it sounds good.
  • Metabolic stuff #2: show me a plump person who runs 6 day per week. OK actually please don’t. But, there’s a weight management angle.
  • Um that’s it. Just some random musings in favour of easy and often.
2 Likes

Google will help there, or I refer you to this

thank you

The bad spelling and poor grammar just add to it. “Its not your fault, you just had too many gels” :joy:

2 Likes

fit’s in nicely with old TT spelling though

2 Likes

Isn’t that a contradiction? :thinking:

While the question was on ‘plans’ the general underlying question, was really how do I improve my running times.

As others have stated, the approach your taking I would suggest is hampering improvement. I’d be interested to know what zone your running most of your runs in (LTHR% or MaxHR%) The weekly tough long run being the worst, and higher chance of injury. If you want to improve, like most things in life, there is no shortcut. You need to put the time in and increase the volume then start introducing harder sessions.

I knew someone would love my choice of phrase :wink:

no, you are still using largely the aerobic energy system up to VO2 max. It’s actually a really quick way to build mitochondria and the bodies ability to transfer oxygen to the muscles but you can’t get the consistency to make long term gains due to recovery times.

1 Like

:wink:

I asked because a recent meta study debunked commonly held beliefs on the effects of endurance training on immunity.

As I asked for above links to studies are helpful.

1 Like

Hey, difference of opinion is not a problem for me I think discussion is good. :+1:

I’d have to review my running to get those stats because I wasn’t much interested in HR then. Plus I haven’t done any maxHR tests.