Running in winter, how cold for tights?

About 15 deg is when I move from shorts to tights, 10 to shorts over tights. Forgot the shorts today in 5 deg, and by God I was wishing for windproof jocks.

I am the bloke who does most sessions on the rollers in tights and a long sleeve, and keeps a beanie and fleece on until I get a sweat on, so perhaps my opinion is not the best to be listening to!

3 Likes

Like many others, never!

If youā€™re ditching shorts, itā€™s too cold to run outside.

Also, for some men, shorts over the top of tights should be compulsory. :rocket:

1 Like

Oh man, you should chat to my in-laws, or indeed one of my wifeā€™s mates from school (with a lazy 8:15 PB). They wouldnā€™t be able to get outside and run six months of the year!

Under 5C to start considering along with maybe long sleeve top but if nice weather would still wear t-shirt and shorts. If on the moors in the rain and wind would consider between 5-10C. Cycling I tend to wear my running tights over my bib shorts once itā€™s around 10.
Used to regularly run with a buff, but tend to leave that as well now.

I often start with a buff on then take it off and wrap it round my wrist if I get warm.

Theyā€™re so versatile.

2 Likes

You start in the buff?? Knew you northeners were hard as :wink:

5 Likes

And then wrap it round our wrists. Donā€™t want it dangling in puddles.

2 Likes

-10 today in the snow. Trail shoes, ski socks, merino tights, shorts over tights. merino base layer, wind proof gillet, buff and running gloves. Nice and toasty

4 Likes

Similarly nice run today in long tights in snowstorm and settled snow generally between 3 and 6 inches deep about 1300ft up.

Noticed if I donā€™t wear in cold weather I get knee issuesā€¦donā€™t think the 56 year old knees like being cold!

Ps gear included innovate trail shoes (over fell shoes today) dhb socks leggings 2 hellys buffalo mittens helly balaclava helly hat race buff and omm windproof waterproof top. Also new 15 l Montagne rucksack and loads of spare gear. Felt like Arctic Expedition saw no one or no car only out about 2 hours heaven.

3 Likes

try 57 year old kneesā€¦

I put my tights on late August and take them off early Juneā€¦

3 Likes

I can hardly wait !

I wear thin tights if it gets frosty. I generally run hot - it would have to be properly Baltic to wear anything warmer than a long-sleeved base layer on my top half - but I reckon my legs work better without the warmth being continuously whipped away from the skin.

Iā€™ll be going out shortly in baselayer, 3 more layers of merino, windproof jacket, neck buff, head buff, hat, tights, with 3/4ā€™s over the top, might add a couple more layers to the top.

3 Likes

I was just about to head out and saw that it was -6 and a skating rink out there. Zwift time for me and a run if it defrosts later.

1 Like

Jesus Christ!!

do I detect an element of sarcasm here? :wink:

NO! That is what I wore, well actually I couldnā€™t find a hat so it was double buff on the head one twisted as a hat, and I wore the rainproof jacket not just the windproof one. Oh and I only added one extra layer above the wool although that was quite a heavy layer.

It was 0.0 on the outdoor thermometer, although I didnā€™t see a single bit of ice on the ground

1 Like

fuck me - Iā€™d be sweating like a glassblowerā€™s arse before stepping out of the door wearing that lot!

even in sub-zero temps my running gear would max out as shorts, long sleeved baselayer, windproof front gilet, windproof gloves and a thin hat or buff. might be cold to start out but Iā€™d soon warm up and be quite toasty.

2 Likes

On the hills yesterday - compression shorts, compression tights, socks, trail shoes, base layer, long sleeved layer, buff, hat, gloves, over mittsā€¦and i was still coldā€¦

should have worn my waterproof socksā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t own that many running clothes, let alone wearing them at once!

4 Likes