Running in winter, how cold for tights?

I’d hate to have Jim’s heating bill if thats required amount of clothing for a run at the moment

2 Likes

The house stays pretty cold, I have no problem being warm when there’s not wind or water chill.

2 Likes

We’ve got ice. I couldn’t feel my thighs after a ramp test in the garage. My head was mildly warm.

I like the Oz system. No Vaccine = no kindie or school admittance and no child allowance.

If it’s below 10 degrees, cover the knees. That’s what I do for cycling. Have to look after the knees, they take a whole lot of a beating during their life, and if your knees pack up. So do you.

Below freezing for me, and still then probably not.
maybe because I can’t find any tights that are comfy. I’ve had 3 pairs that all slide own my arse crack when I run and constantly pulling them up is annoying.

Had some cheap ones, some skins and a mid-range pair.

Anyone else have this problem?

My OMM ones are very comfy and don’t slip but I very rarely use them. I’m pretty impervious to my legs being cold but upper body is different.

Not had that problem- but isn’t that what the waist pull cord thing is for?

In winter, the only time I won’t wear tights is with a ball gown.

3 Likes

It is a problem with some running tights yes, just use thermal tights under running shorts and it’s not the slightest problem. Narrow waist compared to thick legs is I think when it happens the stretch pulling down from your thigh/calf doesn’t keep them up. A lighter more pure thermal knit under trousers doesn’t have the same problem as running tights.

That’s me too.

Wear them more often than not in winter!

Ive been using some old ski socks that stop just below the knee. May prefer them to tights when it’s not raining.

I wear running trousers (like tracksuit bottoms I suppose) or tights in winter. They help me get out the door. Yet to discover the equivalent clothing to help me get out of bed at 5am in the first place though…

I’m often too hot and end up filling my jacket pockets with my hat and gloves at some point.

The tights slipping thing…I’ve had that with some. Drives me mad pulling them up time and again then as I got hotter and sweatier they tend to stick to me better. Really unpleasant thought that! Sorry.

Tights for single figures most of the time here.
Depends how long the run is versus how long I think it’ll take to wrench the tights on.
Plus a jacket. And a cap.
Then gloves.
Can easily stash the gloves in my jacket pockets.

Helly Hansen base layers…but those £7 Decathlon Kipsta football ones look good online.
A bit fitted, but nobody will see it.

Sometimes whack a t-shirt over my LS jersey if it’s cold.

Has to be very chilly, or high moisture in the air, for me to wear a Buff

Depends on the distance for me. If anything that I’ll definitely be running then shorts. Although a few years ago I went out in shorts in -16C and my leg hair froze I realised that was too cold. But for most runs when under about 10C I’ll have a long sleeve top, hat and gloves.

In lapped ultras where I’ll walk a lot I’ll have running trousers available to change into as soon as my pace drops / overnight - even in races in summer it can get cold at night so I’ve worn running trousers in June before. I’d prefer to be slightly warm than cold during a long ultra

3 Likes

Caved in and popped my running tight cherry today. It is freezing outside!!

Went with the tri short under the tights combo. Not that I needed to worry, it’s so cold most of my junk has retreated and is Now internal.

Actually grabbed the tights out of my wife’s kit draw. Let’s just not tell her they fit me!

5 Likes

I ran with my regular shorts on, it felt fine mostly, first 1km was fresh.

1 Like

Yeah I was quite toasty. Not out for long either

I had DeFeet woollen gloves on but it was my hands that copped it today.

Longs day today, it’s -2 and feels like -7.

2 Likes