Running in winter, how cold for tights?

I was cooking on my run this morning. 0 FL -5 on the forecast.

Shorts, merino base, windproof gilet and my OMM waterproof/windproof jacket on top. Buff on head and neck. Neoprene cycling gloves.

The moment we hit an uphill i stripped both buffs and my gloves off as i was sweating! Could’ve easily lost the gilet as well! It’s hard though, because you just never know!

I went out yesterday morning and it was 1C, LS base layer, t-shirt, LS runnig top that is like a roubiax material but not especially thick, tri shorts, thights, beanie and thin inov8 running gloves. The hat is as much to keep my giant barnet in check. Bare legs would have gotten cold and gone bright red and start itching when I get a shower and warm.

2 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

OK, they were stockings but it was dark when I grabbed them

4 Likes

Just trying to decide if there is a single piece of run wear in my drawer I won’t be wearing when I go out later.

thick socks
thick tights
scrundies
long sleeved T
thermal long sleeved top
yellow gilet
run gloves or ski gloves - haven’t decided
snood around neck
woolly hat

3 Likes

Cover the legs when your body tells you. Simple, when the trouser python turns into a frozen prawn, time to cover the legs, it’s too cold.

3 Likes

and quite possibly too late

2 Likes

Boxers, Thermal tights and Running 3/4’s
Baselayer 3 * 200 weight merino tops, 2 longsleeve, 1 short sleeve, running t-shirt and rain jacket.
buff for neck (and face for first few minutes)
buff for ears
big fluffy hat
wool liner gloves and thick wool gloves.

Today for my run I had my Ron Hill (kind of ) fleece long sleeved top and over the top of that, a very light race t shirt. DeFeet woollen gloves, very light beanie, my regular shorts and regular More Mile socks and Peg 37s.

i felt fine but hands suffered a bit, especially my left hand, as I wear my watch on the outside of my left sleeve and it seems to affect circulation a bit.

2 Likes

Supposed to be between -3° and -8° here all week at 5am which is when I go out for a run. Safe to say that I will definitely be wearing tights with shorts on top of them.

Well that was cold. This must be why there are so few top pros from Vladivostok.

3 Likes

Usual winter gear this evening, (socks,tights,shorts,long sleeve base,warm+ decathlon jacket, beanie, gloves) but added a huge body warmer for the first ten minutes. Dropped it back home with the beanie when the word ‘heat’ came back into meaning and jogged the rest.

Really should’ve worn a buff to warm the air, I’ll be coughing all night now most likely.

1 Like

Defo thights weather today :cold_face::rofl:

3 Likes

Running in winter?
My kits been out ready and waiting to be used for two days now :see_no_evil::rofl:
Might go out in the morning…

…or have a lie in, full breakfast, then a quick spin on Zwift in the evening

5 Likes

Wore the buff today :+1::mask:

Doing a lap round the block in the body warmer then dropping it off home is definitely a winner too.

1 Like

Went to Scadbury today as paths still too icy…it was unusable in parts and el niño was pushing his bike half the lap. Bloody freezing dressed to run but not running

5 Likes

That looks lovely.

2 Likes

Lovely loop, about 4km long, quite hilly and El Niño gets to play on his MTB as I run. Blessed with national trust woodland here with Petts Wood and Hawkwood estate also.

Still in shorts (ignore the upper body base layers, and long sleeve tops)…

… but fuck me it’s cold!

4 Likes

This seems like the best thread for this: When I read the news report, I thought, “what a bunch of idiots” then I realised what I was doing yesterday… I was ran up a 1600m mountain, -10 degrees, deep snow, wearing what I suspect the BBC would describe as tracksuit and running shoes. I was absolutely boiling, however, if something had gone wrong or I had fallen, I would have been screwed

2 Likes