Running / riding in the heat

That’s probably a bit warmer than you are used to if it is later in the day?

How long would you expect adaption to take place? I’d have expected you’d tolerate it more by now?

1 Like

Hamburg fell about 4-5C short?

It was 40 in '15; hottest day on record at the time. I think it was surpassed summer of '18 maybe?

Hamburg was 35 in the shade when we did it in '19. Child’s play :sweat_smile:. But at least the bike wasn’t over long right :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Think there is probably a temperature above which it’s just very hard to lose heat fast enough. Don’t know if that’s the same for everyone, or if some people can cool better :man_shrugging:

My guess is I’ve probs adapted as much as I’m going to now, but I’m not sure. The heat has been climbing month on month since we have been here. Feb was 20s, Apr was 30s, now the past couple of weeks low 40s :hot_face:

@Jorgan how was the bike the year that Hamburg was hotter than Hades itself? I’m definitely finding running more of a challenge, heat seems to build up more.

2 Likes

Frankfurt was a hot wind, probably ike Kona. Last 20-30 km you could see lots of people soft pedalling and sitting up; groups starting to form. Dreading the marathon ahead. I remember catching David Dellow who was obviously having a bad day.

My run was a 5:31 train wreck.

3 Likes

Hamburg definitely didn’t feel as hot on the bike, but the wind and flat course just made it relentless. Made worse by an extra 6km!

Those two events have kinda put me off Ironman tbh. With an 8 from 8 record, I was starting to feel I was due a DNF. So a good time for a break.

1 Like

Does the Outlaw count ?

Heat?
You lot are all cry babies.
It’s not even warm

2 Likes

Vichy. Even the 70.3 was hideous.

2 Likes

Impressive for a 10:00:01 total!

1 Like

I think it was a bit overcast at the start of the Hamburg bike, and the breeze around the docks cooled it a bit.

The run though :hot_face:

2 Likes

Wrong German Ironman :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hamburg was the best IM run course in my experience; largely shaded and huge support/atmosphere. Better than the classic Roth marathon. In fact easily better than most 140.6 run courses.

3 Likes

Yes, it was a good run route. Frankfurt was good for support as well.

The hottest I’ve done was Nice at 35ish degrees. I’m not sure I was moving fast enough to sweat :frowning_face:

2 Likes

35-36 becomes a bit of a switch point, as start gaining heat via conduction to skim so rely on evaporation to lose. So then tiny amounts of extra humidity start having big effects too at those temps, especially if no wind.

2 Likes

45 degrees in the shade and the lake had become maltan lava. I think it counts :grimacing:

5 Likes

Hmm … I rode from Derby, the bike course, then back home that day, it was fine :person_shrugging:t3:

Does bad form increase fatigue or only affect speed?

Had a run yesterday where HR actually behaved itself. Only 7km at 5m05 pace, but the HR didn’t go through the roof despite the heat - it was 39C with a warm breeze.

was aiming to keep it in 135-140 range, couldn’t quite manage that, but better than the 160-170+ I was seeing on some of the hotter runs previously & didn’t have the same massive urge to stop. Hoping this is acclimatisation and not just a one off fluke :crossed_fingers:

really looking forward to coming back to UK in 3 weeks and seeing if the warm weather, beer-free training camp has helped my parkrun :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

It’ll be winter by then, you’ll need gloves and a hat :joy:

5 Likes