Sarah Place, running pace

After I finish up IM training this year Im getting off the bike and swim until the new year.

Might be doing a 5K plan to sort out that anomaly. Then focus on marathon until Brighton gets cancelled :rofl:

1 Like

Screw that.

Just transfer your Barça IM to Copenhagen and we’ll run-walk the final 20 together!

1 Like

I haven’t got access to my junior and senior results these days…

But these are my 40+ and 50+ PBs. All standalone except for the 50+ marathon which was at a long course weekend…

5k 17:48/19:03
10k 36:02/37:30
1/2m 1.24:07/1.27:16
M 2.59:00/3.23:51

8 Likes

And @itom150 - the 10km was specifically trained for that distance and included a full taper.
I was pescatarian and teetotal at the time, which helped weight management no end!
Pescatarian as I love fish and by shunning meat you get rid of; bacon, sausages, burgers, steaks and all the stuff that’s a bit fatty and bad for you (but also really tasty!)

HM was properly targeted and trained for, too.
First race back after five years off, first race in Nike 4% and I was only targeting 1:25! First 5km was all downhill and I beat my previous six months 5km PB, so just hung on for another 16km :scream::rofl: found someone I used to run against from Derby around 10km in, so we had a chat for 8km, then I found more energy to drop him for the final 3km and I sped up massively (false flat, too)

Mile and 5km were on a dual carriageway cycle footpath from Sep-Mar, so always freezing and dark, but following the Team GB Luffbra athletes who came up to race it always got me pacing it well.
Never specifically trained for those.

Nor a marathon really, they’ve always been pre/post season afterthoughts.
No doubt I’d have gone sub3 on the canal path one, but I was doing 9:00 run, 1:00 walk as it was my first mini-ultra race.
I’d barely trained for Outlaw 2019 and ran a 3:22.
Mind you, first half was in 1:27, so that’s possible my pacing wasn’t optimal :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m literally at the cafe eating bacon sandwich reading this. Haha

4 Likes

Likewise, I’ve just read it after a full English, a scone and a slice of cake and coffee. Wondering why I haven’t dropped much weight pre-Helvellyn :thinking:

4 Likes

Well, we’ve just had a KFC at Southport, so…:man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

My PBs:

5km 18.06 aged 42
10km 37.55 aged 43
Half marathon 1 h 22 aged 34
Marathon 3 h 05 aged 34

I’m 46 now and in the last 12 months ran:

5km 18.10
10km 38.xx
Half mara 1h 24
Have not tried another mara since 2007 :ambulance:

Perhaps I’m being too optimistic but believe there is still scope for PBs across all distances given a solid block of training, no injuries,and the right day.

Currently am experimenting with running frequently but slowly. Half marathon PB was run on the back of lots of zone 2 stuff, with a few TriTalk v1 30 minute treadmill challenges thrown in :face_vomiting:

9 Likes

If it’s any consolation I ran 16 mile this morning, fairly easy, sub-4:00/km then ate a massive quiche followed by a chocolate cake, then my wife couldn’t eat her scone after having an equally big quiche so I ate that too.

I also had some ice cream a couple hours later and now I can’t decide what I want for tea😂

8 Likes

Two phrases not often linked together :open_mouth:

5 Likes

I think im in probably the best shape ive been in. Im as light as ive ever been at 76 kg for 191 cm (despite my tendency to look at most family servings of food and assume its mine :joy:) and also have finally manage to sustain some pretty high mileage weeks (regularly breaking 80 miles pw) without any real injury.

Todays session was just a focus of keep a nice steady effort, keep HR in zone 2 but make sure not take it too easy so was still keeping the legs moving but was pleased to see the average pace dip below 4:00/km on an undulating course with 50/50 road and decent trail (though a bit muddy today)

I’ve got a marathon on 4th October and I’d love to break 2:30. Im not sure ive got it in me, and quite frankly 3:33/km for a couple hours terrifies me. But I felt pretty similar about doing 2:37 and the only way to find out was to go out at the pace and hope I don’t shit the bed! I figure if everything goes to plan (including the marathon going ahead) ill try a similar tactic and if I fall off I’ve still got a 7 minute buffer to get a new PB from 2:37:02:)

9 Likes