Serotta Tri Colorado bike build - 650c wheels wanted!

There’s lots of 650c wheels in this house including
Hed Jet 6
Zipp 303
Hed tri-spoke front

Don’t think I’ll get away with selling 'em though…

Ask on the time trialling forum, they have a lot of 650 kit that might be surplus sitting in a shed.

I may have a Campag Record 10 Speed Groupset coming up for sale

I would remain patient and watch eBay; there are no races this year :roll_eyes: You’ll definitely pick something decent up at some point.

2 Likes

This won’t work - completely different sizes. 650c are closer to 26" than 27.5"

Gah, that’s what I need!

Dug up this old photo. Salisbury tri 2006. Scott Waimea with 650c Zipps

2 Likes

Trouble I’m going to have is, the chainstays have mega tight clearances. I’m not even confident I’ll get 25mm tyres on there… Getting tyres though doesn’t seem too difficult - should be good on that front.

And cheers for the offer on the stem!! Mega tempting but I’ll think I’ll pass. I have a couple of other stems that should work well, and prob not wise to go down the panto route just for the sake of it…

Hmmm - sure you don’t want to sell?! Any of those clinchers? If so and you ever get round to it, mind posting a pic - mainly just trying to figure out what actually exists out there in clincher formm…

What’s the time trialling forum?? A totally separate forum??

Hmm did also think about this route as I have a 10 speed campag build that may become redundant. If I went that way, I’d prob go for the square taper flavour record for the aesthetics…

Unfortunately, about 10 years ago was probably the best time to pick-up 650c wheels on the S/H market. Starting to seriously thin-out now. 650c probably hit ‘peak’ in the late 90s.

The Jet’s are clincher, pics in - https://smaryka.blogspot.com/2009/07/speedy-p3c-and-hed-wheels-that-were.html actually those DEEP’s in the picture were sold to someone on original tritalk if I remember rightly, and were clincher too. They’re not my wheels to sell sadly (and aren’t on the P3 any more, but an Eyre as road bike or RS for hill climbs) and while Maryka has stopped hoarding a bit selling off one of her cervelo’s recently, I don’t think the wheels she actually uses will go.

TT forum is at http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/

Distinctly remember doing a race about 2002 ?Taunton with a guy riding a normal sized wheel on the back, and a 24 inch wheel on the front. It gave him a super-aggressive forward & low position. IIRC he tore up the field.

Why did 650s go out of fashion- maybe wrong but I assumed someone riding 650s is about an inch lower overall and therefore cuts a slightly smaller hole in the wind?

Industry standards I guess. I mean, why did they get rid of threaded BBs and then go off in numerous directions ffs. 700c rolls better, once up to speed; 650 lighter and accelerate faster. 650 makes sense for smaller riders to get aero.

1 Like

You NEED these bars!

@Jorgan Sorry couldn’t reply earlier as I hit a new user reply limit apparently.

Honestly, been scouring ebay for about 6 months. Not a fat lot. There’s some deep section chinese carbons on there now that I’m semi tempted by, but no brand hubs, no idea who built them etc etc, so for that price, not quite right I don’t think.

Happy to be patient though - am in no rush. I’m not a triathlete either :open_mouth: so no triathlons on my horizon ever. Sorry. I feel dirty, I’ve wondered over from another forum like a snake in the grass. Thought you guys would be more helpful though - which is proving to be the case!! Hence why I also want clinchers.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the vibe I’m after. Thanks for digging that out. Will check out that forum too

Lo-pro’s are still pretty sort after My back hurts just looking at them though.

@Jorgan yikes those bars.

I have the odd tyre or two…!?

I bought a “ bundle”off a tt guy who was giving up…

I was delighted to see some 28 mm gators, virtually new… oh what fun I had trying to fit them to an old narrow set of carbon clinchers…

I’m not the best mechanically… but this was no we’re near …
I then realised they are 650”s?!?

Really not sure what bike they would fit on…!?

There yours … gratis … if you can use them?!

1 Like

Hey Mungo2 (is there a 1?!) - super generous of you and much appreciated, but there is no way this frame is going to take 28s (chainstays way too narrow). I’ll struggle to get 25mm on, will likely have to go 23 tbh. Thanks again though

There’s two…!

Didn’t even know you could get them in 650?!

I need to thin out my tyre collection …!..

Yes I thought that , you won’t get 25”s on that, the clearances were tight back then