Speed/pace measurements

I’m looking for a list of commonly used measurements of speed (or pace) in fitness/sports for an app that I’m creating. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

• miles per hour
  • kilometres per hour
  • meters per second
  • min/mile
  • min/km
  • min/100m

I think this has got most of the bases covered, but are there any that you’re aware of that I’ve missed? I think the most difficult one is swimming as I think the Americans tend to use yards instead of meters due to the length of their pools, and I’ve seen swimmers refer to pace in 50m/yards or 200m/yards pace too.

I could just include all combinations I can think of, but that would just make the lists long and messy so ideally I want to only include the most common ones.

Knots for any water/air sports (sailing, surfing, gliding) ?

Furlongs per fortnight for the geeks who just love strange units ?

2 Likes

VAM, which stands for ‘velocità ascensionale media’ or, in English, average climbing speed. VAM is a measurement of your climbing rate expressed as how many vertical meters you will climb in one hour

(Copied of web site definition)

If its swimming and IMJ then metres per hour might be more appropriate

9 Likes

Mins/100yds for US swimmers
Strokes per minute (SPM)
Strokes per length (SPL)

I’d like to see my workouts in Parsecs/Kessel Run.

5 Likes

min/MarsBar
hour/Guinness etc. etc.

Big Mac Meals per Marathon

Maximum permissible 1628m/hr or expelled from group :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

watts per jiffy bag

2 Likes

I just found out that a jiffy is an actual measure of time now, something like the time it takes a photon to travel a fermi.

Or “not very long at all” in standard units.

List of useful units here:

2 Likes

Speed (in meters) per watt is said to be the most useful metric for making the most of running power meters but no platform I’ve come across (including the Stryd ap) provide this.
I’d be interested in any ap that calculated that for me.

1 Like

Why bother with anything other than kph and min\k :thinking:

4 Likes

For when people insist on using MPH, because that’s what their cars do :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::triumph:

I usually just think of that as numbers, 30, 60, 70 and the measurement is irrelevant, it could be light years!

Usually think of distance to a place more it time actually than miles these days.

Jeff

Gels.

x is two Ironmans away from y, how many gels do you need to consume to get there?

1 Like

Buoys per hour for OW.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions all, sorry it took me so long to respond. Turns out getting an app in the play store took waaaaayyy longer than I thought it would, but I got it there in the end. I’d welcome any feedback anyone has as it’s my first ever app.

play.google. com /store/apps/details?id=com.hamapps.apps.speeddistancetimecalculator&hl=en_GB

It’s not triathlon-specific; it’s just a general calculator. If there’s a triathlon-specific app that would be helpful, please let me know. :slightly_smiling_face: