Sprint triathlon training

Oh I’m sure I’ll overtake you with my 19 stones in that fortnight!

I’ve got some sprint distance events coming up. What do you all do for pacing?

As it’s roughly an hour - is it threshold HR/power for each leg? In the past I’ve noticed that my run HR is about 5 beats lower than threshold - is that down to lack of effort or nutrition or just gone too hard in the swim/bike?

1 Like

When I’ve raced sprints I’ve just gone balls out hard as you can. No pacing strategy whatsoever and hold on for as long as you can

5 Likes

Last Tri I had a 5k run of 18:45 and my 5k PB around that time was 18:00.

Plan is a drink and a gel on the bike. I’ve put a gel in t2 in the past but I end up just running round holding it.

1 Like

Swim: Fast as you can until it feels like you might wet yourself.
T1: Nearly fall over because you’re so dizzy
Bike: Blurred vision so you can’t see, so head down like a proper time triallist and pedal like it’s your local evening 10
T2: Nearly collapse ‘cos your legs don’t work
Run: They’ve now somehow recovered, so run like it’s a Saturday morning at Bushy Park :+1:t3:

4 Likes

Ride at the limit of :face_vomiting: all the way :+1:

When you did Southport were you close to your FTP on the bike, and 5k PB on your run?

I don’t have a visible power unit on my bike so it’s by feel. Then when I get home I look at the data and wonder if I should have pushed it more.

1 Like

I’d agree it’s basically as hard as you can go mentality

As it happens that worked out to be about threshold pace for swim and run, a bit harder on the bike due to gunning the hills.

1 Like

92% on the bike (wanted 98%, but after a panic attack in the swim - no warm up, cold water, post-Covid people - I just couldn’t get any power down)

Run was 3:46/km And I’d done zero speed work.
I’d ran a solo 5km TT in 19:42 in the snow in February.
I then ran a solo 1:26 HM in March.
All other runs were IM pace or slower.

So I have no idea how that run pace would’ve compared to
my 5km PB at the time :man_shrugging:t4:
I remember being so far in front (3 minutes) of anyone that nobody was behind me at all. And the guy in first place (3 minutes ahead of me!) was so far ahead of me that I didn’t really try much :man_facepalming:t4:
Also, it was 400m short, so I never got a chance to open up the legs for a final sprint, I was waiting for it, then, OH! There’s the finish line.