Sub-11 Ironman Thread

Game on for Roth… T-25!

Survive the swim, then resist the urge to do anything silly for the rest of the day.

Swim has always been my nemesis… i was flailing around in the water for 1hr50 during non-wetsuit at Vichy two years ago! Never again!. Managed 1hr20 at Lanza last year, en route to a 11hr55 finish.

Target has always been any number beginning with 10 - that will be an awesome day out. Form suggests I might be on for sub 10:30… but the more you chase a time, the greater the risk of it blowing up catastrophically in your face. I want to get this one right.

Target day: 1hr20 / 5hr20 / 3hr40
Dream day: 1hr15 / 5hr10 / 3hr25

Training has been reasonably consistent, not hitting everything, but more often than not, the sessions that matter. I’ve enjoyed having lots of little targets and confidence is boosted by setting PB’s across distances, both on the run and the bike. Remaining philosophical, if the big day doesn’t pan out, then at least I’ll have these results to fall back on!

3 Likes

No navigation needed on the swim, which is a bonus. There are a few hills on the course though, and it can be quite windy in my experience. It’s the atmosphere & the smooth roads that make it fast. No doubt the new run course is more interesting than the ‘classic’ one which was nearly all canal!

There’s no denying there’s some fairly big packs at Barcelona but I do think the rolling start eased that a bit, in years gone by you’d see the age group packs.

But, after spending a lot of the first 25 miles going past people (swim and T1 took me about 74 minutes) it definitely got a lot quieter and after 50 miles I was actually fairly isolated for long periods, although an odd pack would go past you.

@Poet is Italy another one the Mrs might consider? nice part of the coast and supposed to be a fast flat course as well.

Jeff

Just gonna have to sit there on the refresh button for Barca 2020 innit.
Nice 18 month lead in :rofl:
I can do a spring marathon and everything

1 Like

Would also have an eye on this thread :face_with_monocle: few more months to avoid the karma mind

1 Like

I managed my first sub 11 on attempt 3.

Challenge Roth, 10h25m

Signed up 12 months ago (got a ticket at the post race handout), and did a 6 month endurance based “enjoy yourself” unstructured period that actually left me mentally very refreshed. Then 6 months of normal base, build, but had to miss the breakthrough part due to work and life commitments.

For the last 6 months I managed just under 9 hours per week on average, and most were 7-11 hours with very few big weeks (probably only 1 or 2). This was very much a plan based on minimal impact on my family life (and a busy job), so lots of early morning sessions, and no long rides to speak of.

On the race I wanted sub 11, against a PB of 11h45m at Outlaw (similar course in many ways), which included a puncture that lost me ~15-20 minutes and caused me to over run to try and compensate.

At Roth, the swim was a frenzy. Very biffy. Hard to get a rhythm going. I came out on my target time, but 5 minutes slower than what I am capable of in an ideal world.

The bike was fun, but also frustrating at the same time. The course was busy, but the marshals do a fantastic job of draft monitoring. I found myself on lap one doing overtake surges, then having to sit up or free pedal for a while to maintain a legal gap, then surge again to overtake. It was everything you are NOT meant to do in an Ironman. The second lap I decided that I would have to sit in more and stop the surging, and preserve my legs and effort for the run. I shipped 5 minutes on the second lap with this strategy, but I think I saved my race by having fantastically fresh legs for the run.

The run includes a huge stretch on the canal, then into town, out into a forest, back into town. About 2/3rds of your running is on hard pack, which isn’t the fastest surface, but is a little kinder on the feet.

I wasn’t over running at first, so told myself to watch my HR and keep it below 140. This proved easy, and was netting me 7:45 mile pace. My mind was doing backflips. I knew I needed under 4 hours to get my sub 11 target, but I was feeling so fresh that I wanted to push for 3:30 and a 10:30 target. This was clearly a dangerous call to make, because the second half can really find you out, and did at Outlaw 2 years previously where I went from a 3:30 to a 4:00 in the last 15km (snuck under 4 hours by 3 whole seconds on that instance).

But when your legs are fresh, and your body is still taking in sugars, why not…? So I went for it. I kept fuelling until 12km to go when my body said “I’ve had enough sugar now, knock it off “, and held my 7:45 pace for the entire canal section. The last 15km are tougher. Bits are cobbled, there are hills, and running down them was harder than running up as by now the quads were aware they were being pushed.

I am not sure what my pace fell to, but I think about 8:00 on average for this section, maybe 8:20, which i think was a similar effort (and my HR stayed steady).

With 4km to go I knew I had a sub 10:30 in the bag, and the demons left me. I started to feel elated, a feeling I have never had at the end of an Ironman before. I was with a small cluster getting to the stadium, and I wanted to enjoy that moment so I slowed up enough to get a 10m gap, and I loved the finisher chute. My mate who finished ahead of me was waiting at the last corner on the finish straight, and I got to see him, shout my thanks, and give him a high five. I then let out a roar across the line, went to sit down, and had a little cry.

So not a 9:30 or similar time that may be deemed fast on slowtwitch, just a sub 10:30, but for me, with the <9 hours I squeeze in around family, work, travel, and even sometimes having friends, it was amazing. I am delighted. Absolutely over the moon.

Shout out to the transition volunteers who really help get you out quickly and without stress. They do everything for you, and it just makes the entire transition process so calm.

I have Wales in September, which is the race I did when ill, with a sub 13 time. Despite that I enjoyed it so much I have been back the last two years to support friends. This year at Wales I have no targets. I don’t care what my time is. I want to go round with a smile on my face… and maybe try and kick the ass of that run!

11 Likes

Brilliant well done sounds like a great race and a very good day for you
I hope to get in for next year but have tried for a couple of years and not made it

Great report and well done!
That’s an awesome run and fantastic time off your limited training.

Sounds like a great race there Hewligan! And that’s the kind of story that brings music to my ears.

What were your splits in the end?

That’s fantastic. Well done @Hewligan. Great report.

Well done @Hewligan!

My best race ever was exactly that.
Did Wales the same year as Nice. Had no targets other than to enjoy myself, went round smiling and feeling great for everything other than the last 10km and came in with a sub 11. Go for it.

1 Like

My splits were 1h24m26s, 5h29m04s, 3h24:15, and then the balance of minutes from the combined transitions to a total of 10h25m43s.

4 Likes

You know where you need to put in the work then :wink:

Well done on a great result and nice write up.

With those splits, a sub 10 is achievable without increasing your training load. As Jorgan says, you know where to focus

:rofl:Exactly what i was thinking!!!

I was thinking with a 5:05 bike split and less tardiness in transitions, sub 10 will be easy

1 Like

:wink::rofl:

Or I could just run a sub 3 hour marathon…

You guys are cruel! But it is true, I need to drop my swim times and improve my bike with more focus on long, steady rides. Not sure I want to do that yet, as I may take a year off IM next year (but normally I feel that way after a race and then change my mind)

1 Like

I’m echoing the MAMIL approach to Triathlon here :wink:

I’m jealous of your run time, BTW.

How were the Next%?
Good choice for the IM Mara for an age grouper?