Sub 17 5km Thread

Blimey, just a slip of a lad. I wasn’t even a Dad at that age :crazy_face:

1 Like

I was normally defensive mid, sweeper or wing back. Basically run about all day and be a pain the a$$ ! haha

Very similar to me as well, strange that. I was always the least skillful person on the pitch by quite a way. Only person who could not trap the ball from kick form the goalie etc. However I was particularly good at not letting anyone else play the game, kind of like an anti-footballer. However unlike you guys I I was not that fit, so centre half for me despite being short worked for me as it didn’t involve much running!

Back to running. I get over 80% in the VP’s for 5k & 10k, but not marathon. Given I believe the 80/20 rule works for most things in life, I find getting over 80 for running surprisingly hard!

Yeah it’s certainly not easy. I think if i can maintain this sort of speed over the next few years then i should see my %ages go up a little with age.

Did a tough old track session last night:

11.24 (3.33/km), 5.32 (3.28/km), 5.34 (3.29/km), 2.44 (3.25/km), 2.44 (3.25/km), 2.43 (3.24/km), 2.40 (3.20/km)

10km of effort all between 3.20-3.33 pace. That was a taxing session! The track really does’t help things, as it’s pretty treachorous, but the speeds were a little lower than i perhaps expected. But then maybe these dirt sessions are still translating by the virtue of being harder (and slower) so that when i get on the tarmac, the legs are really ready to fire.

It’s left me pretty tired today, so whilst i could probably go for an easy plod, i’m going to tajke the day off and go for a climb at lunchtime instead. Need to try to get a longer run in this week, as i’ve been struggling to fit these in lately.

2 Likes

I’m kind of mentally flirting with this now. A return to club track seems to be rekindling some speed. I think maybe early July for one of the Battersea Park 5k’s (I land back at City airport 90mins before the start of this coming Monday’s, and the afternoon after another wedding is hardly going to be ideal!).

Official road 5k pb is only 17:56, but I’ve since gone 17:25 on the track (18m ago), so I think I should at least be able to chip away at the road best.

First session back at track 15 days ago was 8x8’s off 90s. All came in at 2:46-2:48 (except for rep 3 in 2:44).
Last week was 5x1k reps off 70s. All came in 3:24-3:27. Was pleased with this less than 24hrs after a stag do.
Last night was 4x(8,4,2) off 60s. Felt strong on the 8’s and those came in significantly faster than 2 weeks ago, all in the range of 2:36-2:38, except for a steadier start with rep 1 in 2:42.

Moving in the right direction at any rate. It’s a long time since I’ve regularly been to track, but I’ve never comfortably run under 2:40s before.

I bough the fly’s out last night for the “near 5ker”, It is run in the dark so I had to run wider than normal on the return to avoid hitting anyone! so even closer to a real 5k. Anyhow I came in at 16:30 which is a pb and is likely worth a sub 17 on a real course. (Though I am still not claiming it as an official pb). Finding a flat/non windy fast 5k in Auckland to back that statement up is fairly impossible!

3 Likes

NICE WORK :+1:t3::ok_hand:t4::muscle:t3:

I did wonder when i saw this on strava - 16.30 would’ve been sweet! Though i don’t think you’'d have the slightest of troubles of going under 17.

Now the NEXT% is on general release, probably should make this the Sub-16 thread no?

1 Like

I’ve not gone under 18 yet this season :see_no_evil::sob:
17:07 is my LTS PB.

Clutching at straws as an aging MAMIL

A chunk closer tonight. I’d not run a road 5k since August 2017 with a pb of 17.56. I did a track 5k in spikes that December in 17.25.

17.22 on the road this evening. Thought I might be able to sneak a road only pb with the benefit of the VFs, but to set an all time best was unexpected, given the big bike week I talked about in the Training thread (including by far my longest ride of the year yesterday - 150% of the distance of my previous longest of 2019).

4 Likes

Well done Stennard, saw it on Strava, brilliant running especially after a big ride.

Jeff

That’s good work :tipping_hand_man:t4::checkered_flag:
Solid running :ok_hand:t4::+1:t3:

Nice one. Bodes well for sub 17 later in the year eh? Maybe not that much later even…
Tbh I’d always thought sub 17 was beyond me at 45 (17.39 Parkrun pb) but with these shoes I’m thinking it might, just, be attainable…

1 Like

So, is running on a track as part of the road 5km PB “cheating”?

The parkrun I do is the 8th fastest one in the country, with ~800m on the track.
https://www.runbritain.com/news/parkrun-rankings--is-your-event-the-toughest-or-easiest-

There is then this series on an evening, which is local, and has 750m on the track:
https://www.saleharriersmanchester.com/index.php/events-fixtures/sale-sizzlers-5k-race-series

I like the look of the latter for a good pop out!

Sale Sizzlers are on a fast course (or so people say, I hate 5k races so have never done it!)

1 Like

Well parkrun doesnt really count anyway. It’s a separate category of its own on runbritainrankings, and I don’t even think it gets reported on powerof10. As for the latter, I guess it depends if it gets reported as a 5k on powerof10. A full track 5k is separately reported as 5000m.

I certainly differentiate my road and track bests, in a similar fashion to powerof10.

Yeah parkruns are on Po10

Ah yes, so they are. But they are a separate category to a “proper” 5k

haha, yep.

But for me this year, they’re my proper races! Exmouth parkrun is as fast as any local 5km and i don’t have to pay for the privilege!

Might try to get down there this Sat actually … my new Zoomfly’s (or whatever they are called) have just arrived at their UPS point … so a slight detour on my way home tonight!