Sub-3 Marathon Thread

Try this - it looks like it does what you’re after. I saw it a few days ago via a google search.

1 Like

I literally stumbled across this yesterday I was desperately trying to work out if the 2:43 would translate to 2:40 anywhere, (well London)…

It didn’t, but it may be what you are after

Marathon Pace Bands | Buy or Create for Free (findmymarathon.com)

2 Likes

Nope neither of these. It was a pretty basic website. You put your goal time in and it basically calculated you to run the first 5km 10 - 15 secs slower and then built it up with some buffer at the end plus running the last few km slow. It mentioned that his was advisable so your HR was kept low at the beginning to allow your stomach to process food and water before your HR got high and digestion basically stopped. I’m certain it was posted on this forum somewhere in the last few years.

That’s a really clever link for micromanagers with the split adjustments for the course and pacing strategy. Don’t think I’d like it, but can see some wanting to import that to a watch to use as a ghost runner.

1 Like

It was one here - a good thread. I am sure @TROSaracen posted something on it from memory.

I found it! I had bookmarked it. :nerd_face:

https://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/marathon-race-strategy/

4 Likes

RunnersConnect IMHO is generally the best running advice on the internet :+1: (other than this thread of course :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Found this quite interesting. I was running my 3.38 at Goodwood when Stephen came past me like I was stopped. He did even better in Paris.

2 Likes

Thanks @FatPom that made me review my stats and go down the rabbit hole…

According to Intervals.icu, in March my running was Pyramidal and in April Base (I think this was related to tapering). So far this month it’s Polarized. I only do 1 interval session a week and the rest is mostly base training. If I have a comp at the weekend that ticks off the threshold part.

There’s a good link to a video talking through the different clasifications Which is best: HIIT vs Threshold vs Polarized vs Base Training: the science - YouTube

I think I need to wedge in a decent run threshold session each week but that might come at the cost of a bike workout. Maybe I could alternate them each week :thinking: It’s tricky with triathlon training to get the important sessions in across the different sports + recovery!

1 Like

I’m definitely guilty of doing the 80 and ignoring the 20. I give parkrun a decent go but not hard enough or often enough really.

2 Likes

Do you think Kipchoge and his mates have a sub 2 thread?

It’s going in a real race very soon!

7 Likes

yeah I expect they discuss it in between beer and DIY

7 Likes

And terrifying critters of the animal kingdom :joy:

4 Likes

Kipchoges ok, he can outrun most of 'em. Land sharks etc

2 Likes

Kiptum sets new world record at Chicago - 2hrs 0 mins 35 seconds

Wow!

7 Likes

Isn’t it just boring, like the swim suits, that rendered swiming so uninteresting that they had to reset the records for a bit, and change the tech? If it’s not tech, then it’s more doping right? Which is even worse, it’s not interesting to me to have records which bear no relationship at all to the past. The slow improvements technology and random chance of better conditions was something, but radical improvements from technology or doping, boring…

1 Like

Very similar in the bike world as well, massive improvements in recent years with wind tunnels, skinsuits etc.

I get that technology moves us forward but we all know the trainers are making old records look very dated. But it’s hard to stifle innovation.

2 Likes

A take that I find interesting is that records set the doping agenda and fund it.

Race position should be enough. Delete the records and stop recording them.

Agree, the shoes make it hard to distinguish how good a performance is and ultimately watching someone run quicker is hardly more interesting if it’s not a great race

1 Like

I don’t disagree that the shoes are helping but it’s the same in every sport where technology helps

Kiptum, who was wearing Nike Dev 163 prototype shoes, said he had not initially targeted Kipchoge’s old record of 2:01:09. But that rapidly changed towards the end of the race, when he ran the 22nd mile in an astonishing 4min 18sec.

Running mile 22 at just over 4 minute mile pace is bloomin impressive no matter what shoes you have on

6 Likes