Sub 9 Hour Journey

My favourite bit is the taper, up to day before the race :rofl: Still not missing Ironman training.

4 Likes

Its game on for Roth. I can swim crawl with both arms. I am a little bit restricted on the left, but can reach 95%, Power is reduced and cadence is reduced. biggest issue is bruised rib on my left, I had zero pain in shoulder. I took no pain killers. 1500m wasn’t hard, I could easily have managed 3000m, and IM distance swim won’t be an issue for me

I can only beath to my left, and sighting is painful, I didn’t swim very straight, but not disasterous either. I have no issues getting a wetsuit on and off

20 Likes

This is great news Matt.

1 Like

Great news. :+1:t3:

1 Like

Its way better than I could possibly have imagined. You can imagine how delighted I am at the moment

5 Likes

Also congrats on only doing 1500m. I can imagine the excitement and energy boost you just had :blush:

1 Like

I decided to turn around at 750m, not because I was tired, I felt fine, but I didnt know how my shoulder would feel after swimming. If shoulder is OK this evening, I will swim again tomorrow, at the moment I see no benefit in doing a long swim, regular short and easy swims is what I need.

1 Like

You are a crazy f&*ker but chapeau and good luck!

8 Likes

That’s pretty much my best IM pace :rofl:

3 Likes

I imagine the functionality will only improve with judicious use between now and race day. Excellent news Matt!

1 Like

Good news; with the bonus being it’s barely much slower than usual :wink: :rofl: :joy:

8 Likes

The Irony of that didn’t escape my attention. I adjust my stroke to compensate for an injury… and swim faster. My HR for that swim was just 97bpm

6 Likes

Good day yesterday, swim and TT bike all good. However, feeling pretty tired today. I know that a good time in Roth is possible, but biggest factor is now to recover as much as possible. I was a little concerned how shoulder would feel: i slept without any pain and it feels OK this morning.

My taper from now will just be low intensity, running, some spins on turbo and some short low intensity swims. Just to keep things moving

13 Likes

2wks to Roth?

9 days

3 Likes

ohh definitely taper time!

2 Likes

Hey Matt that’s great news

1 Like

Did a 13k run today. Its really strange, but I think run is going to be hardest on the shoulder. I will probably arrange a sling to see if it helps.

On the positive side, a 13km run in an hour felt really easy, I was easily able to hold HR below 130 bpm

8 Likes

Just seen this @Matthew_Spooner Hope that you’re healing up ok.

2 Likes

someone I know crashed out badly on the bike at IM Vichy many years ago. after being patched up on the head, and his arm put in a sling as he’d broken the collarbone, he carried on and finished - in some discomfort of course but he was determined to get there.

5 Likes