Sub 9 Hour Journey

Swim number 2 - further and faster

11 Likes

Was he called Tyler? :rofl:

1 Like

Why Mr Spooner? :man_facepalming:t3::joy:

3 Likes

Because I like to provide some entertainment to Tritalk community. I am probably channelling Lionel and Skipper rather than Chrissie.

Swim this morning felt really good, I was going to do 1500m, but I was really enjoying the swim so I decided to do my regular 2000m route. For a bit of safety, I followed the shore, which added about 100m. It was probably a bit of a mistake as I was feeling the last 500m.

Parkrun, staight after swim, went well, it was actually my fastest Swim/runā€¦ I generally struggle to run after a swim, but today felt fine, probably because my swim pace was slower.

9 Likes

maybe the injury is providing more motivation and energy to get this sub-9 done which is why youā€™re seeing good results?? just take it easy and donā€™t aggravate anything and keep that motivation for race day

1 Like

I have no aspiration, even in secret, to go sub 9. I am sure i can do a decent time, however, pushing for sub 9 wouldnt end well. I think i will enjoy racing without the pressure of any goal. The last time i raced without pressure was Hamburg

6 Likes

Recovery is going very well. Pretty much a day off yesterday (I did Kayak for 45mins as safety boat for the annual fun triathlon I organise)

I now have full mobility in my shoulder, itā€™s a bit stiff, but no longer painful, most importantly it seems to be stable, no clicking and collarbone is staying in place. Road rash is healing well, bruised ribs getting better, but still sore, especially first thing in the morning.

Most important thing this week is sleep. I will do a little exercise every day, targetting 1 - 1.5 hours low intensity

13 Likes

Sounds like it couldnā€™t be going any better

Great news

1 Like

Stop sandbagging - itā€™s back on :exclamation: :see_no_evil:

10 Likes

If I had another 2 weeks, I would probably agree. Even injury free, my swim was always going to make this a huge challenge. Being optimistic, I have added 10 mins onto the swim, and I canā€™t see myself doing as well on the bike or run. Lets just see what happens on the day

I am not going to Roth to take it easy, I will try to get a good time. However, I am not going to chase a specific time on the bike. I would rather be a little conservative and see if I have something left at the end

I am very tempted to use my IM Finland Place on 14 August to have a go at sub 9. I was planning on not bothering with Finland, but if Roth does well, I may change my mind

12 Likes

Itā€™s amazing what a difference a week can make. This all sounds really positive Matt. Looks like youā€™ll be able to give Roth a really good attempt.

4 Likes

How you feeling @Matthew_Spooner ?

Is Roth 3rd July or 10th July?

Getting very real now Matt. Looks like itā€™s going to be quite a hot day with some wind towards the end of the bike.

@Poet shoulder will be absolutely fine, it is now pretty much pain free and I have full range of movement, although strength is limited. Bruised rib is still painful, and will be the limiting factor on the swim, itā€™s also getting better, but slower than shoulder. Road rash is healing well

@Annas yes, looking much warmer, and it will be warming up all day, peak temp of 29 degrees at 1800, so will be a very hot run, hopefully a bit of a breeze along the canal. It will be a cross wind on the whole bike course

Training has been really, really light, and I am making sure I get lots of sleep and eating sensibly.

Bike is all fixed, I bought a brand new Set of Swiss Side Hadron 2 wheels (these are a new version of Hadron 2 with better hub and spokes). I got a great deal from Swiss Side, and sold my old wheels for a couple of hundred Ā£ less than the new ones. New Tyres, GP5000S. Changed Bottom Bracket, which was getting a bit grindy, also changed damaged shifter. So bike is looking amazing

16 Likes

Good to hear Matt. I assume youā€™ve scrubbed the new tyres in? Canā€™t be too careful.

Not yet, only fitted on Tuesday, and they are holding air. I need to go out on the bike today, I have adjusted the position to take pressure off my soulder, and need to test that as well.

4 Likes

Good to hear. Is it a long drive for you (assume you are driving?). that can make a shoulder sore also.

Its about 4h30m, so not too bad. Planning to leave around 12 on Friday

2 Likes

This could be one of those ironic situations where injury has prevented you from over training in the weeks leading up to the event, and you actually go in fresher :sweat_smile:

You know what Iā€™m saying :wink:

13 Likes

someone doesnt want me to race in Roth. Just went to adjust front brake, and one of the brake mounts is dustā€¦ litterally dust. I have just glassed in a new nut, since I used proper resin rather than Araldite, Iā€™ll have to wait 24 hours for it to set

This is what happens when TT bike is on the Turbo Trainer

5 Likes