Sub 9 Hour Journey

Is Roth very technical? Make sure you give it a good test. How strong is you rear brake? :wink:

2 Likes

There is a fast descent with a tight hairpin, so yes! I found it very interesting in the wet with cold hands.

Just before Obermassing iirc @Matthew_Spooner

ETA - correction it has 3 hairpins looking at the map; itā€™s 14 years since I did it!

1 Like

Iā€™ve riden at least 6 laps of the course in past 18 months, so know it well. Itā€™s not technical, however, if you are brave, you can carry huge speed through some of the corners, if you are not brave, you lose a lot of time slowing down an accellerating. In the wet it becomes harder to judge, corners you can take easily at 50kph in the dry are much slower in the wet,

The section @jorgan mentions is certainly for the brave riders, normally I am very fast, the corners are constant radius, smooth road and no adverse camber, however, having just stacked it on a similar descent, I may be a little more cautious than usual

The front brake mount will be fine, braking force is into the fork, so not pulling on the bolt. a standard M3 bolt is perfect size for the hole, just a couple of light taps with the hammer, and Epoxy resin will bond it in pretty well

3 Likes

Iā€™ve ridden it twice in 35 degrees as a training ride, then twice on the day in 12 degrees and incessant wind/rain! I actually preferred race day I think.

1 Like

Just did a 9k on treadmillā€¦ wow, shoulder absolutely perfect, no pain from ribs, running so easily at 4:15/km.

7 Likes

I did it September 2 years ago on the date that the race was postpone to, before it was cancelled. Pissing down and 12 degrees and windy, it was grim, had to ride hard to keep warm

1 Like

Yeah it was like that in 2008; I wore a gilet, and was very glad of it.

Crikey so much for the idiots telling you to pull out :kissing_heart:, amazing recovery and lining up to be a good day.

Good luck!

8 Likes

ā€¦ Iā€™ve not actually done it yet. There has been a lot of bravado on my part, but every night I canā€™t sleep well becuase of shoulder and ribs, Iā€™ve questioned myself. I will make a final decision on Sunday Morning, however, itā€™s looking very positive.

6 Likes

Excellent day today, nice little spin round the lake. Avg HR 145 BPM, felt totally normal, speed was low as I got stopped at every single set of lights. Power was above race pace, HR a little below race pace. Only minor concern was I got cramp in my shoulder (not near the injury) when I got off the bike. I think I am using different muscles to support shoulder.

Was on road bike today, as I am waiting for epoxy to cure on TT bike

8 Likes

No rib pain, no shoulder pain. Easy swim this morning and suddenly my pace is back

6 Likes

At last you put up some times I can relate to. :+1: :rofl:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve put on 2kg since my injury, 3 day Business trip, friendā€™s 40th and reduced exercise all contributed. Normally in last 2 weeks I would have strictly been off the beer and wine, but since I was injured I felt justified in eating and drinking too much. Howeverā€¦ I am lighter than Blumenfeld, and it doesnā€™t slow him down :slight_smile:

11 Likes

18 Likes

Iā€™m getting really excited now. I donā€™t ever recall being this excited about a race. Crashing last week is behind me, of course it will impact my performance on Sunday, but that doesnā€™t matter anymore.

8 Likes

Probably the excitement of not thinking it was on for at all a few days ago and realising it was. Enjoy your day :+1:

2 Likes

Over the past 10 days I have gone from:

Iā€™ll do this, but Iā€™ll have to swim one arm
OK I can swim 2 arms, but slowly
Thank god I can still ride my TT bike
I can also run
These bruised ribs hurt, but I can still do this
Shoulder is getting better, maybe it wonā€™t be too bad
These bruised ribs are much worse than shoulder, but I can still do this
2 hours training wipes me out, how can I do 10+ hours in a race
Take a rest day
Take a rest day
Take a rest day
This feels OK, but Iā€™m in trouble if its non wetsuit
This feels good
Where did that swim come from? Iā€™d much rather swim in a wetsuit, but if not, Iā€™ll be OK

I wonā€™t tempt fate anymore, 10 hours is still a long time to race and my body is far from fully recovered. I guess I am not going to know until about 90k into the bike. However, I have come a long way since sitting at the side of the road, trying not to pass out, with a clearly dislocated shoulder

15 Likes

Matt, good luck tomorrow and have a great race. Enjoy Solarer Berg :partying_face: and just generally have a smashing day.

1 Like

Matt have a great day and it might just work out OK :+1:

Go get it Matt

1 Like