Swimming for Hammers and Spoons

they are very simple, yet so easy to mess up, so frustrating! trick is to be looking at the cross on wall 5 strokes out, you should understand stroke length and be adjusting so that the final stroke into the wall gives most propulsion, don’t breathe for 2 or 3 strokes into wall flip by using a push on the water by the hands both by hips using the momentum from being fast into the wall (I use palms down and push down to initiate) plant both feet on wall toes up (backstroke position) with hands still behind you, if you can land one foot slightly higher than the other even better, and using the speed and momentum from into the wall and the flip you push off and initiate corkscrew whilst holding a good streamline. Once horizontal in water start fast dolphin kicks (for sprinters, distance swimmers maybe just one good kick) to keep momentum. Don’t breathe for at least 2 strokes off the wall.

6 Likes

This is the bit I struggle with, that’s 5 strokes without breathing (more if you consider the time actually turning) which I can do at a steady pace but as soon as the effort goes up I get more and more out of breath each length until something has to give.

8 Likes

:thinking: :laughing:

17 Likes

Oh shit yes :rofl:

6 Likes

Most swimmers do, its why when coaching the kids I am quite firm about it, usually in the form of games, every time you breathe into wall today we do one burpee at end but it comes with practice!

1 Like

On the plus side, one foot is definitely higher than the other, on a chair at the side of the pool.

4 Likes

This was 4 weeks ago, which I realise means I’ve been attempting to learn a fair bit longer than 5 weeks (oh time flies). But the swim coach was chuffed I was making the effort.

3 Likes

that’s really good, the basics are nailed, its about judging your pace into the wall now so you do not initiate it too short occasionally.

1 Like

That’s what I struggle with. I tend to slow down before the wall in case I mess up and clatter into the wall which invariably means I mess up as I’ve lost momentum.

Yeah, the 2 different pools I swim in have lines at different points so that takes some adjusting too. I also struggle at the shallow end as I can sink to the bottom before I’ve got the turn sorted. I have to be really square with the wall otherwise it goes belly up & can be difficult if I’m doing drills as I get distracted & then the line comes by surprise.

The worst is the lack of oxygen when it goes wrong and you end up at the bottom so it’s mentally tough not to try and get a breath as late as possible before the turn. I’ve just realised I can hold on to more air which stops the sinking a bit, before I had to exhale hard from the nose to stop water goin in.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t do that as I end up on the surface on my back.

Drown? I’m taking air as soon as I get to the surface as I’m suffocating by that point.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, but that broke me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

Reading that, I think we can take out “flip turns” as one of the reasons I’m faster in the pool.

Mine are a hot mess

1 Like

When I land on the wall, I’ve rotated about 90° so that when I pushed off it’s only another 90° to go.

I’m the same as the others and I can’t manage to hold my breath going in and out, I try to 1 going in, and 1 going out!

we also do another drill , so a progression where she’s on the wall flips and plants feet we do one where they grip the gully, kick with head up, we say head down, the head goes between arms , still kicking, then “GO” and they flip push off and sprint back to half way steps!

2 Likes

Happy to entertain :grin:, I’m sure the blooper real is even better.

3 Likes

So, joined Better with a swim membership. No corporate discount unfortunately. And no local pools, only the one by the office.

26mins for 1500 (1:44)last summer, how do I get to 30mins for 1900(1:32)?

I’ve got 2 sessions per week. 40mins and 30mins swim time so far. :grin:

On the plus side, I’m allowed to use all my swim toys prohibited in every local pool, finally. :diving_mask:

Oh and I can’t spend any money.

2 Likes

Is that Olympic pool?

1 Like

Yes

I might be able to get over to Charlton Lido occasionally on a Monday where there’s a “swim doctor” session in the evening.

I’m thinking these two sets of far:

1 Vo2 + Base (catch&pull focus)

WU Scull/FS 100

6x100 @1:35 Paddles/PB

2x200 @1:40 Paddles/PB

WD 200 kick/fins

2 Sprints + Threshold (high stroke rate focus)

200 IM with fins

Drill 100 Scull/FS

Main

10x50 off 1:00 @45s

5x100 off 2:00 @1:45

WD

200 kick/fins

Wear fins and paddles. Should do a 25 easily :clap:t3::joy:

2 Likes