Swimming for Hammers and Spoons

sprints will need to be shorter than 50’s with longer rest , looking at 1:2 minimum, even 1:3 work:rest ratio

there are two areas to attack, I’d be looking at either 25’s but sprinting half a length, say 5-10 strokes max effort, they would be going off at least a minute. This will target the alactic energy system and help with neuromuscular adaptations, as well as building strength. I’d also be looking at something like sets of 4 * 50’s but with 10m sprint into easy , 15m sprint, 20m sprint, 50 easy which will target more the anaerobic system both can be done as part of a “take home” section of any session. With limited pool time using a variety of energy systems in every session is a great way to build fitness.
Another unwritten rule I have is always finish with good quality swimming, no toys, and if you are too tired, do backstroke so as not to reinforce any bad habits. A sloppy cool down is all too common.

1 Like

Breast stroke with paddles?

Front crawl with fins and snorkel?

Forgive me if it was especially in the video and talked about (I did see him doing those things but no commentary) but not sure what either question/point is?

yes and yes I suppose if i understand the question
Br is maybe only 50% about the arms so getting that scull, catch and pull perfect is key so adding paddles helps feel that pathway in the limited time each stroke you have. Also Peaty is a power athlete, so working on brute strength for him helps.

snorkel takes out the need to breath so you can get a great hydrodynamic position, and get continuous oxygen in so you ca potentially push that bit harder. Fins make you faster, also helping neuromuscular adaptations, ie teaching the body what it feels like to go faster. There may be other specific reasons the coaches choose that for each swimmer.

1 Like

I just thought they were odd combinations. :slight_smile:

Paddles and pull, to focus on arms, paddles and snorkel to focus on rotation.

snorkel I use for numerous reasons, but speed work it helps as you dont need to breath so can go faster and hold a better body position, add fins to accentuate that. Its also about mixing things up, sometimes there doesnt need to be a good reason, just keep the body guessing so it doesnt become lazy and settle into a routine

1 Like

There I was swimming along minding my own business, when I was hit by a sudden storm. Went from 1:57/100m to 2:55/100m. HR also went up quite a bit. I was in no danger, as I could have swum to the edge of the lake and walked back.
#riptide

4 Likes

Can anyone give me some idea how much slower 1 arm swim is vs normal crawl.

If i would expect to swim at 1:45 pace, what would i expect to swim one arm

In my case, attempting to swim one armed I would simply sink to the bottom and drown. But appreciate that’s not very helpful to your query, sorry.

2 Likes

Its going to depend on a lot of factors. Youre losing 50% of the primary drivers. But more than that youre losing xx number of years of muscle memory of swimming with both hands. Balance is going to be an issue. Depends how long you have yo get used to swiming like that

What are you going to do with the other arm? Tuck it close to your body and back of your hand on your lower back would be streamlined.

My local pool has been closed for renovation since before lockdown - total fucking travesty. It’s great/ handy and tbh it was fine. Opening keeps getting pushed back. It’s a farce :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Surely you’d have to have the injured arm out front in a glide position?

You’d sink otherwise no?

I have to say it’s not something I’ve ever thought about

1 Like

Thats a good point. As you say not soemthing ive ever thought about, until about half an hour ago

1 Like

You can do single arm drill out front or by your side. By the side is harder but still possible. Breathing to your unused arm side is the UNCO drill.

1 Like

Well I wouldn’t fancy that for an Ironman. Be lucky to scrape the cutoff

ETA - he’s wearing flippers too!

I’d be cramming some bouyancy into my suit if I had to do it with one arm.

We used to have to do unco drill without fins. 100% I wouldn’t finish an IM swim doing it.

I’ll also add, without being used to swimming like this, I wonder how much stress that will put on the neck and shoulders trying to maintain body position? Will that then compromise holding an aero bike position?

2 Likes

Hey Matt, I’ve done front crawl one arm drills before and you’ll be a lot slower. I’m going to add 45 seconds to a minute to your 1:45 time. I did them during one of Slowtwitch’s Guppy Challenges a few years ago and I remember all the none swimmers finding this drill particularly hard. When doing the drill I remember thinking my moving arm was doing more a butterfly motion rather than crawl. So maybe this is something to visualise: butterfly arm, crawl legs.
If you can do one normal crawl stroke followed by one small movement with the injured arm, I presume it might be quicker and smoother, but by how much idk.
Butterfly arm and legs will probably be the most efficient method, but also the most tiring. I don’t know for how long you can sustain this for.
I think I would use all three methods, to break it up a bit. The working side of your body is going to get very tired, this will influence your comfort on the bike. The aim for the swim will be not only to complete it, but to finish it in a manner that will have as little influence as possible on the bike and run.

Just some thoughts during my morning coffee, hope I didn’t babble on too much!!

3 Likes

And don’t forget that you’re going to have to deal with a LOT of congestion on the bike. The swimmers taking that sort of time are likely to be riding well over 10kph slower than you!

Thanks, this is what i thought, although slower than i expected.

I seem to be getting more and more flexibility in my left shoulder. I think (hope) that i can get a hand entry around my ear, but wont get any extension, so very poor first phase of pull. Also stroke rate will probably be low, so more glide on right.

If it works (not at all certain), i will probably do a combination. Also setting my expectation for swim closer to 2 hours.

1 Like