Swimming for Hammers and Spoons

I do rotate and then all me sinks. Using glutes and hamstrings doesn’t really help, a little sculling and flutter kick (or sculling with my arms a bit deeper) keeps me up on the water. I have no problem keeping my legs up swimming and the faster I go the easier it is.

I’m pretty much the same.

Although I can’t float, trying the floating drill was a bit of Eureka moment to understand the minimal amount of kick required to stay level. It really wasn’t much. So that became a good exercise to start a session (bit like Thorpe’s float drill as per Hammerer).

I guess the other thing with the float drill is just a mental thing to engage core and glutes and then finally kick to get level - should do more of this as I definately ‘sag’ in the middle when I get tired which probably has all kind of knock on effects!

2 Likes

Unrelated to anything on here, but still swimming related …

Was just shopping for some more anti-fog stuff and was tickled by the first item in the sponsored products panel:

2 Likes

Anti fog = new goggles. Or I just look like an idiot constantly shaking my head to sluice the water around my ageing goggles, which is the norm :roll_eyes:

I have used the soap trick a few times; give them a wipe with it, then give them a very quick rinse. It seemed to work okay last week for about 30 mins/ Luckily the soap at the gym is pretty mild.

I’m trying to be an eco-triathlete and not binning the goggles init

Seriously though, I find this stuff works really well, particularly for OWS. Even in new goggles I found early season races would involve some fogging regardless of what protocol I used to prep the goggles.

Then someone lent me some of this magic stuff and haven’t looked back! Been on the same set of goggles for a couple of years now (although don’t swim that regularly)

What is the product? All I see is the Maldini mask.

So Main Set today of: 10x100 on 10s RI into 5x100 ankle band on 30s RI. Some upping of cadence for the ankle band set!

Averages: Full Stroke 1:35, no legs 1:40.

My kick is useless isn’t it; but body position probably not too bad?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d say those band intervals are solid. My kick adds no propulsion, but my legs would be dragging along the floor without a soft flutter to keep them up. When I’m back swimming regularly, I’ll give the same kind of thing a go

The more momentum you have using the bands, the easier it is! So if you find it really hard, maybe start with big paddles, then fingers ones, then none… @Poet maybe?

With paddles I’d probably be about the same as full stoke!

1 Like

Yes. I’d agree with that.
Just done my swim.

With an 800m straight through :face_vomiting::sleeping::swimming_man:t4:‍♂

my bloody pool won’t let you use paddles (or fins) unless you’re in an organised swim (ie the local swimming club or lessons) :confounded:

Never had that issue. Have you tried wearing bright speedos, walking up to the Lifeguard, licking your finger…placing it on your abs making a zizzling sound? That let’s them know you’re all about the organised swimming.

Try it & let us know how you get on.

3 Likes

haven’t tried it for a couple of weeks… will report back.

Saying that, most of the lifeguards are late teenage girls, so it might not be the wisest strategy unless I want a LOT more gym time… :flushed:

1 Like

They do say women like men who make them laugh :sweat_smile:

but not so keen on the ones that make ‘em cry…

If you do try that approach can you video it

crikey, we’ll need to rename this place TTinder

2 Likes

I will see your 800 and raise you 2x 750. Goal was sub 25 combined. The first one was 12:40, so had my work cut out; went through halfway on second rep in 6:14…that was a hard last 375m! 12:40 & 12:13.

Then came what we all know is the hardest session: 10 mins in the steam room at 40 degrees. That really wiped me out!

That’s just wrong!
The maths :zany_face:

I picked it because it’s a triathlon distance - albeit a rare one these days!