Are you sure😂
400/1900/3800, right?
What’s this 1500 of which you speak?
Are you sure😂
400/1900/3800, right?
What’s this 1500 of which you speak?
I meant the 750! Which is even rarer than 1500 
The triathlon market generally caters for what the customer wants…which is MAMILs that pay lip service to swimming.
We do 750m & 1500m for our open water race but 400m for our pool based one. It’s all about getting them through quicker due to the staggered starts.
I tried a single 100 with band today. By the end of the final length, I was certain I was going to feel my toes hitting the floor!
4x100 at more of an effort were all in the 1:32-1:34 region (shows how much I’ve fallen off with the time out of the water … I could hold that comfortably before), followed by 4x100 steadier all around 1:36.
The band one was 1:53!
Last night did 8 x 100 @ 1:40 with 20 sec RI, 4 x 200 @ 3:20 with 40s RI , 6 x 100 @ 1:35 with 15s RI, 4 x 50 @ 45s with 15s RI
This was without doubt the fastest set I have done
I find that I can hold 1:38/100 comfortably however, 1:35 is a struggle as I start to lose my form.
SPM was 58 and DPS was 111cm - I was reading a GTN blog about this, my DPS is right for my height, however, my SPM is a little low
Good stuff! But like Poet, you need to test yourself with some of those (shudder) longer hard swims. Like 400m+
Good stuff!
You’re getting there…should click into place shortly into 2020 

Continuing my return to the water, I did 3x400 this lunchtime, all at a cruisey pace. Can definitely tell my arms have done very little for quite a while. That said, to be able to get back in the water off next to no swimming and still knock out a 6:34/6:31/6:29 (40s RI) shows the technique gains over the past few years (still lots more required however!) are at least broadly embedded.
The “fast” 100 at the end was the real eye opener though. That was only 1:27, which isn’t much below what I was repping 100s at fairly comfortably a few months ago. A fast 100 would normally be in the low 20s or high teens
What sort of swims times have you been doing in events in the last couple of seasons? Sub 1:20 sounds very fast; I didn’t realise you were that quick.
Just wait until you hit mid-forties with your swimming; in fact you might have done a White Goodman by then 

Not very good as my OW times seem to suck. But I have a “best” 100 in the pool of a 1:15 if I remember rightly.
The last time I did H’s endurance sprints to failure, I started off in the low 1:20’s and managed to hold quite a few reps off a 1:30 turnaround. That was back at the end of Sept

That’s what I mean; I never remember you being a faster “event swimmer” than me, despite your pool times.
Have you been dodging the longer swims like @Poet
No. I normally do quite a lot. My “standard” in season week includes a 2-2.5k straight through swim on Monday’s. My best time for 2k was set in August with a 30:36. Yet I’ve only ever gone under 30 for a middle distance at both 113 events in 2017 (which were definitely short - you went under 28!). I’ve improved since then massively in the pool, yet my OW times have stayed pretty static.
i.e. just taking IM times (ignore Nice - non-wetsuit, and consensus is it was long)

Yeah, I totally schooled you at the 113; well pointed out 

Those were the days. I seemed to have lost a step since 2017. Although my Hamburg time was roughly equivalent to my Outlaw, given the over-distance bike and huge transitions; plus it was very windy & hot.
Loads of time for them yet.
I’ll be back under the hour come July.
No sweats.
Another swim improvement tonight
Did some short intervals at varying pace, main set was 400, 300, 200, 100 with 30s RI at increasing pace, followed by 6 x 100 at sub 1:35 pace, with 15s RI.
My average pace over 2500m (inc warmup and cool down) was 1:36/100m. Longer sets were at 1:36 pace and 100’s all around 1:32
1:36 feels sustainable, 1:32 feels really hard
I think I need to start to build some longer sets in soon
wetsuit fit? it could even be as simple as not pulling it up high enough
Don’t delay, you’ll be in your 40s in a few years 
In training I’ve had some decent swims. I just get thrown off my stroke in races it seems.
Copenhagen was by far my best (less than double the time of all my 70.3 swims) as it was pretty quiet number of people wise, easy to sight, and a well marked course.
One of the juniors I coach, 4:30 / 400m in the pool and rarely breaks 5mins OW . Apart from the obvious distance issues and the mats not being at the end of the “lane” he wasn’t pulling his wetsuit on properly and without his knowledge was reducing mobility in his arms and slowing him down. Much better since I spent time at the lake going through pulling on a wetsuit. Most people don’t spend nearly enough time getting it right. Something to consider. Your bollocks should feel tight (unless you are a lady
) and you should have full mobility around the arms.
Here we go ![]()