Swimming for Hammers and Spoons

In some respects, I think a, Ironman non-wetsuit swim is a little less frenzied. People are out of their comfort zones at most abilities, their expectations are dislocated and they don’t have a floating neoprene ‘suit of armour’ on. Therefore it’s all a bit more civilised.

In fact (touches wood) I’ve found Ironman swims to be pretty civilised generally, that’s seeding myself a row or two back (aiming for 60) even in a fast AGers wave of 400, I’ve been able to find clear water early on. I’m guessing if you’re firmly MOP you are in more of a mêlée, as there’s less space, and more navigational issues.

Matt, have a listen to Simon Ward’s podcast on heart health in veteran endurance athletes, quite interesting. It sounds like we might be more likely to notice things like afib and even increase the risk of that, but essentially it sounds like athletes are just as likely to have issues as sedentary people.

But, the overall message was to keep exercising and more in most cases, it’s unlikely we’ll reach our genetic ceiling.

Jeff

Actually, in the podcast towards the end they do discuss deaths in both triathlon and marathon’s, it sounds like a trend that if under 40’s die of a heart related issue it is often an undiagnosed condition that would have probably caught up with them in past. Less so for over 40’s where there could be a lot of other factors including general levels of stress, not warming up correctly etc.

Jeff

I’m an Afib sufferer - was undiagnosed when I had a minor stroke back in late 2017. I was cardioverted back into normal sinus rhythm in Mar 2018 but went back into Afib about 4 weeks ago so waiting to see the cardiologist as I write to discuss what next. difference this time is I’m taking an anti-coagulant and a beta blocker so whilst I’m on these I’m pretty safe from another stroke but the AF and beta-blocker combined doesn’t half curb what HR level you can work at! it’s like working in treacle much of the time.

the evidence seems to be that endurance athletes do suffer more AF than expected but the underlying reasons are still pretty unclear. but AF generally is poorly understood as to it’s onset mechanism although there are risk factors associated.

what a crap article! fwiw - Chill Swim (who are quoted) were involved in drawing up the Sh2out guidelines, and this is from the Sh2out consultation document which gives a load of information:

“There is a lot of guidance and rules relating to water temperature and wetsuit use during
competition. It is acceptable to deviate from these outside of competition e.g. during training
sessions”

So the guidelines doesn’t stop venues using lower temp water for swimming, the 11C rule only comes into play for competition purposes.

50m pool swim tonight and did my first ever sub 6:30 400m.

Following this was swimming 10 x 100 at1:30 off 2:00,

Finally swimming 4 x 250m off 5 minutes

This is a good improvement, nowhere near some others on here, but certainly going in right direction

4 Likes

I’m confused? You can do 10x100 at 1:30 pace, yet can only swim 400m straight at 1:37.5/100 pace and that’s your best ever? That’s a major drop off, even if you are getting a pretty generous 30s recovery on each of the 100s.

How hard was the 400? Quite likely it wasn’t a flat out effort, but it just surprises me you say that’s still your best ever. I would have thought you could do close to sub6 if you gave a it blast. For me, 7+ seconds per 100 is the difference between a pretty gentle plod, and feeling like I’m working reasonably hard, but still nowhere near TT effort.

Those are 50m pool times with grab turns too iirc.

Is this full stroke in trunks @Matthew_Spooner ?

Yeah, but I only know how to open turn too. I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’m just questioning where the ceiling is really at. A bit like a 20mins test, it took me a while to learn how to suffer in the pool. And even with 30s rest, if you can 10x100 at 1:30 pace, then I would have thought you could hold similar for a single 400 effort

1 Like

Well yes to that. I can just about manage 10x100 off 2:00 doing them in 1:30/1 and flat-out I would be about 6:00 for 400.

Not so many years ago, I could swim 20x100 off 1:45, coming in around 1:30 :pensive: I don’t know if it’s the Nuffield pool & my bushy beard that’s not helping, or just age finally catching up. Combination of all I’d imagine.

I’ve been on a plateau for many years now.

that off 2 minutes is key. I can swim 50’s off 1min holding 45 all day long. Different entirely to doing it for 400 flat. problem is the stroke deteriorates as you fatigue. You need to basically work at doing 16x100 off 1:40 holding 1:30 to get close to a sub 6 IMO.

Blows my response out :wink: Maybe Matt is going anaerobic to hold those 100’s and just about recovering and you are staying the right side of the lactate turn point so can hold then in a straight 400…just.

The 10x100 I was drafting… I joined the fastest group, who swim off at CSS of better than 1:35, so it was a case of seeing if I could just hang on

The 400 was just after warm up, I was trying to focus on sustaining a pace, so it was not flat out, but I was not drafting. It was only a couple of months ago that I did my first sub 7m 400

Overall I swam 3000m at 1:37/100m which did include some technique work

My technique seems to fall apart when I go quicker than 1:35/100.

@Jorgan, full trunks, and a couple of decent tumble turns, but mainly grab turns. I notice that when drafting, I lose lots of distance on the turns, and have to put in a big push to get back on the feet in front.

1 Like

I think that this is spot on

I will try doing 16x100 off 1:45 holding 1:35

as a generalisation, more fast twitch in the shoulders and thus this is quite feasible…add in to that a push and glide in the pool with the ability to reset the position, plus the challenge of swimming straight will add up to swim performance drop off in OW

1 Like

Sounds a spot on explanation of what I perceive of myself

Well yes, I do tumbleturns and I’m not drafting anyone in training, which would explain why I can swim a straight 400 a fair bit faster (solo).

I tend to rely on a higher stroke rate, than DPS too.

??

It makes more sense now Matt has said he was drafting for the 100s.

Distance Per Stroke