Swimming for Hammers and Spoons

The sleep books I’ve read seem to say the same, would be boring if we were all the same wouldn’t it :slight_smile:

Bit of Swim speed coming back, I think my CSS is down to 1:45 (from 1:48), so halfway to my March high point

last night did 8 * 100 off 2mins and I was around 1:38 - 1:42 for each
Then Did 4 * 200 off 4 mins and I was 3:25 +/- a second on each

That was on top of 2h of cycling and running I did earlier

3 Likes

I swim with the club in the evening as I lack motivation to go to the pool in the morning (It’s open from 0615 to 0730). Trouble is that before the club swim, I would normally have done at least an hour on the bike or running or both, so not exactly fresh

Ive got until the end if the month until my club membership expires. I prefer swimming 3+/week, otherwise I tend not to swim at all. Even if its not ideal, how much can you expect to maintain on one swim per week if you’re consistent through winter?

I will be swimming because I want to swim, not for performance - Im just curious.

I’ve roughly been swimming once a week since June. My endurance is shocking!

1 Like

Can I ask for some feedback from anyone who swims with a club on how they are managing lanes/bubbles please.
There’s a piece in the BTF guidance that says swimmers should be divided into lanes by ability and those groups should be kept the same for subsequent sessions “As far as is possible”
We implemented this quite rigidly and created bubbles for each lane and no-one was allowed to swim in a different one. We’ve found that we’re turning people away from one lane when other lanes are half empty which doesn’t feel right or fair to those not able to swim.
I’ve seen some posts from other clubs who seem to be pretty much ignoring this and just sticking to the 6 per lane rule so we were thinking of allowing people to move lane if theirs was full but keeping bubbles together “As far as is possible” per the guidance.

Not surprising :slight_smile:

I started 3pw mid August, and slowly got my endurance back. A 69min IM swim was a decent result for me, though I suspect it cost more.

Im hoping its different for maintainance, but not the end of the world if it isnt. Not sure when Ill be 3pw again in 2021, but preferably May at the latest.

I thought you were faster over IM than that!

My one swim a week netted me a very average swim at Helvellyn and a 31:24 at the 113. A shame really as I’d never spent so much time in the pool over the last winter

:cry:

:wink:. 66 is my fastest and felt a bit easier than the 69 two weeks ago, but hardly surprising given pool availability this year.

1 Like

Yesterday had my best swim since March. OK I was drafting most of the time, however, this is the first time in a long while that I have actually been able to keep up with the fast group. Swimming 100’s at 1:35 I even felt that I had a little left in reserve.

Overall pace was 1:41 including warmup and cool down and some slow 100’s.

Since returning to the pool mid September we have focused a lot on technique. Today was the first time that we focused on pace for the whole hour.

Hoping that pool remains open as I feel that I will make real progress this winter

2 Likes

Despite a rubbish October, I managed to drag myself to the pool on Sunday for a 7.30am club swim.

Especially, as Lockdown II means the pool/club will be closed again from Thursday. :frowning:

Apparently the pool switched off the heating as soon as Boris spoke on Saturday night. :roll_eyes:

As it was unexpectedly cold as I dived in! :astonished:

2 Likes

Lockdown 2 timing really is rather annoying. I’ve finally just seen some decent progress in my swimming again in the last 10 days. It’s taken a good few months.

Hopefully 4 weeks will be a lot less of an impact than lockdown 1, and now I have swim cords I need to try and use them in a structured and regular way from the start of lockdown 2 to try and retain whatever muscular adaptation I’ve finally been able to recover more recently.

Still, it’s all rather frustrating when swimming definitely needs regularity and consistency for me.

1 Like

Got back in the pool last week for the 1st time since OW really. Can’t believe how slow I am, like a minute off my 400m time & it put a rocket under my ass to get some work done. Was planning on every other day so pretty gutted about that.

1 Like

Sunday was my first time back in the pool since Lockdown 2 started in November.

Dived in around 7.34am.
Good streamline position, into fly kick and broke out nicely before breathing.
At this point, I felt in complete harmony with the water.
In addition, all the stresses of working from home simply fell away. :sunglasses:

Unfortunately, before the 4 x 100m warm up was finished…
I was pushing off the wall, straight to the surface, gasping for air.
Like the beached whale that my complete lack of fitness has made me. :roll_eyes:

One small crumb of comfort…
Eventually, I settled into a slow, but steady, 1h 13m session.
Mainly kick, pull & drills, rather than straight swimming.
It was only when I got home that I realised I’d clocked up 2,933m.
Which is actually my longest swim of 2020! :astonished:
(Due to shortened Covid sessions.)

Hard to believe I once did a 4,500m club session in 1h 29m.

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

PS
I’d written the above before London’s Tier 3 announcement.
Which means that my swimming club has now cancelled Masters sessions. :frowning:
Although, I think I can still go swimming in a ‘normal’ public session.
So, I’ll look into that.

7 Likes

Thankfully, my swimming warm up doesn’t involve swinging a sledge hammer! :astonished:

Brrrrrrrr!

:penguin:

7 Likes

Any indication yet as to when pool’s might reopen…April? May?

I’m looking ahead and wondering it’s even worth starting dry land exercises this early if the pool is months away.

I guess we will have to wait until Monday to find out the plan to normality or near normality.

Lockdown is really starting to affect my 12 yr old so hoping school and her activities will be back soon.

2 Likes

Pools and gyms didn’t re-open until late July last time round, did they?

I guess they’ve got their covid-safe protocols bedded in now and their data to show that they are low risk for infections, but I think the reopening of everything will be very staggered this time and gyms and pools are probably behind hospitality.

1 Like

I think you are probalby right but would have thought disease transmission is less likely in a gym or pool than pub. Hopefully amateur outdoor sports get going quickly too, I mean mostly kids team sports not necessarily mass participation events.

1 Like

I think the economic balance kicks in and the cost of keeping hospitality closed is much greater than keeping gyms and pools shut, even if the latter are more beneficial to the health of the nation than pubs and restaurants.

2 Likes