Swimming for Hammers and Spoons

Wrong! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl::wink:

Back to swimming from April 12th (then to the beer garden afterwards, via the bookies, isn’t it???)

3 Likes

Velocity Events do a nice flat half iron, currently scheduled for 11 June I think :sunglasses:. So from a standing start in april to decent half iron swim in 2 months for a swim mid-packer. What are the chances of coming out relaxed for the bike??

Optimistic I think :sweat_smile: Depends too, how good the weather is leading up to it, regarding how much OW swimming you can do too, to get that confidence back.

Mid you, I’m not sure how ‘relaxed’ I’ve been after any triathlon swim! I’ve certainly felt pretty battered after a few in the sea off Cornwall.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking

You know what they say… there’s only one way to find out!

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking😎

Bike and run are nice and flat there, so not too taxing

My first IM I jumped out 1 hour 28 mins. 3 months later swam Tenby in 63 mins - just off the back of 3 or 4 open water swims a week in Loch Lomond and a swim run race. Nothing specific just swam and swam and swam.

Unfortunately I didn’t take that philosophy into my cycling.

3 Likes

As soon as Pools open I will swim and swim and swim

2 Likes

And some

Right other than living in a pool… Any other tips for getting up to distance in a compacted time?
I’ve suffered recurring shoulder problems for about 8 years now. If I build up, then transition to open water with a decent base I can just about manage the niggles.
Big bang, with big early miles and in the lakes early worries me.

Rowing helps me TBH

1 Like

Swim cords and press ups for the back/shoulders. Add in the rowing…

Enjoy.

2 Likes

I went ‘swimming’. First one from this group this year?

OK, OK. So swimming may be a bit of a push. I lasted about 2.5 mins max of head out the water front crawl/breaststroke combo. But I was in the sea, in just a pair of boardies.

That’s my swimming quota done for the year! :joy: :joy:

9 Likes

Well I guess I’m not going swimming on Monday then

4 Likes

I think chickenboy nabbed all the slots :joy:

5 Likes

4:45 AM!! - the crazy bastard

2 Likes

Which pool? The hampton one is surely too hot for training anyway? How many are Tooting letting in, should be millions!

Yeah Hampton. I find the temp alright actually.

What I don’t like is 50 other people in the pool doing all sorts. Backstroke/breast stroke - 4/5 people hanging out at the end of the lane. Just ruins your swim.

I’ll be pleased when the gym reopens and I can swim alone!

Cannot be bothered with Tooting. Way too far

My lido said 7 days in advance, but that was members only, 5 days for non members which I understand as I don’t pay £60 a month…but day 1 and 2 sold out already before day 1 even gone on sale. They are also saying no kids, but have now changed that to must be in a swimming club and over 11 years old, which is ok just about for us if we get a spot at all, but laughable as el nino was probably faster than most who will be there doing some form of front crawl when he was 8 :wink:

3 Likes