Tapering

I saw you’re opposite the leisure centre.
Great pool that - the slides used to be ace!

And, George’s Tradition on the way home :fish::fries:

Slides have been shut for years.

Pools fine, management is dire, clientele mostly inbred.

But it’s local.

Haha yeah Georges is ok. Not sure I’d ever go if it wasn’t walking distance mind.

1 Like

NO!!!

We used to love the floodlit skate park, too, but my son says that’s now frequented by ruffians and scallywags :frowning:

Anyhow…taper…bit different for me, as it’s Father’s Day and daughters birthday weekend on 18th - 20th June, so we have various activities planned, which take priority over exercise.
So my Sunday session is shifted to a Monday, giving me this:

Final week, I intend to do this.
Two TOTAL rest days (well, about 8-10km of dog walking per day, but just sat at home at the desk otherwise)
and keep swimming at the same volume and intensity.

(Hope you can see the compressed images - hover over them, then click the expand thing in the bottom right)

Bit off topic,but there’s normally quite a lot of positive social media stuff about all the older ones down there helping out and teaching younger kids.
They’ve removed all the fencing around it to make it more friendly/accessible.

Back on topic… Will check your taper when on pc. Ta :+1:

1 Like

Change the colour of race day from red to green

PMA

This was the kinda insights I was really after :grin:

Had to google “PMA” yeah - I dont have that. Never have.

2 Likes

@gingerbongo I’ve gone with gold (well as much as Microsoft will allow an off yellow)…

4 Likes

Doing an Ironman bike leg can often feel like you’ve had your grapes crushed :joy:

2 Likes

Geezus - sposed to be rest day, had to take a break from wrestling the GP5000s on :cold_sweat:

Haha, I’ve got that job to do as well :joy:

1 Like

So what’s the food part of taper like? Is carbo-loading still a thing? How far out do you start/stop. Hydration? Is there any point in drinking lots a few days out?

I wouldn’t change anything from what you had done up and to that point. Carb loading, short course a good idea. Long course, why bother. You’ll never store enough to last.

Same with hydration. Just drink normally. I mean if its suddenly really hot and sweaty then drink a bit more and have an electrolyte tablet.

1 Like

Carb loading, as long as your stores are topped up by good fuelling throughout the week there is no need, certainly wouldn’t recommend eating too much the night before either, especially pasta. Big breakfasts are also pointless. You wouldn’t have burnt a lot off and it will just sit in your stomach.

Fluids, again keep yourself hydrated normally, no need to increase or take on extra electrolyte or any of that.

Haven’t done many long races but theoretically my approach would be to do nothing the day before a race, except lie around and sleep a lot.

For a Sunday race ideally Friday would be my kit assembly day where I have a final short road test to the kit for each discipline. Not to train, but to make sure everything is tickety boo.

Mentally I’d stop “training” about a week out and would spend the next week listening closely to my body and going by feel. Sessions now are about getting to the start line fresh, confident and limber.

One thing I would hope to do is get out on the race bike every day for say 30-60 minutes to help the TT position feel less alien on race day, with some short race pace efforts in there.

Running wise, would probably try to chuck in a couple of easy, chatting jogs with someone at some point to keep the legs ticking over.

I’d probably swim once but it would be easy and relaxed.

That’s just me though.

Way back in 2009 I did the Alpe de Huez long course tri and was so terrified of my lack of ability in the mountains, that 2 days before the race I rode the whole course just to see if I could. Don’t do that!

4 Likes

Shows how we’re all different eh? That’s the polar opposite of me.

I’m terrified that if I try to do a race pace/power set in the week before that I won’t hit the numbers I want. Then I’ll get a crash of confidence and start doubting my whole training and undermine my race on the weekend.

1 Like

LOL it was really freaking me out that I might get lost/ eaten by vultures etc.

Wasn’t the smartest move but at least I knew I could ride up and down 2 mountains then up a 3rd, and what it felt like to do so

(Horrible)

1 Like

I don’t even like warming up, because I’m afraid that I’ll feel awful and it’ll ruin my race.

There’s a theme here - super fragile ego! :joy:

3 Likes

For Wales in 2017 and 2018 I tried something I read from either Mark Allen of Dave Scott. (I think the former).

It basically said to eat your largest dinner two days out from race day, and have your dinner at the same time for the two nights preceding the race and to allow over 12 hrs between the meal the before and breakfast.
Not sure it made any difference but my last two dinners before the race were at 5pm.

Every warm up I do I feel dire. I hate it. The only re-assurance I have is that I always feel sh1t and when I get going something magic happens to make me feel better (usually).

1 Like

Yeah no need for a warm-up if going long, there’s all day for that.

3 Likes