The Beatles - yes or no

Hard to say really. Their music leaves me profoundly unmoved, and I can’t really say whether they changed the face of music as I’m not sure what it was like before.

Were they innovative, or just the Take That of their day.

They’ll always have their die hard fans, as Elvis did before and hell tw&ts like me for bands like Joy Division after.

Deitisation of McCartney gets on my wick for sure….

3 Likes

This deserves a thread of its own. Love Take That!

4 Likes

I remember as a lad going on holiday to Ilfracombe (we always went there). Rained for the whole holiday, my memory is of 2 weeks in the car driving around places with parents playing The Beatles constantly.
Strawberry Fields is the backing track to my nightmares.
Sorry Mum and Dad!

2 Likes

You say, “Yes”, I say, “No”
You say, “Stop” and I say, “Go, go, go”
Oh no

4 Likes

I’m with GB on this, the wotsits would have to be used.

1 Like

‘Toe jam football’ is a bit of a winner.

:rofl:

Yeah - I have a few albums - an anthology one from ages ago and more recently The White album… and Imagine. Downloaded Let it Be, Abbey Road, Revolver…

I just can’t get on board, so not for want of trying. A lot of musicians swear by them so I’m presuming it’s a nuanced music thing that I’m simply missing. I know one rock guy who has the same issues tho

Back in the USSR, blackbird, let it be, I’ve got a feeling etc - I like, but I’m not super bowled over by them. I guess tomorrow never knows is pretty epic/ revolutionary … could whack that in amongst the chemical brothers and all sorts of cool acid breakbeat sounds. But same album - taxman… ? … muh

To hear them live may have been a different prospect. Seeing the start of the new documentary - It’s exciting hearing them jamming, as opposed to the finished article, and by all accounts they really rocked out in their Hamburg days.

As a body of work it’s still mighty impressive. I’m still on the fence lol

2 Likes

That’s like comparing Bach to the Soggy Bottom Boys.

2 Likes

Definite yes from me. I’m not a super fan but listen regularly.

I’m more of a George Harrison fan, think he was the cooler one. Love While my guitar gently weeps.

Random fact, Eric Clapton was mates with Harrison and added the lead guitar track to that song. Couple of years latter he wrote Layla which was in part inspired by his unrequited love for Harrison’s wife, Paty Boyd, whom he later married. Massive dick move.

6 Likes

It wasn’t a comparison - I’m saying that it could sit happily in amongst a mix of other modern electronic stuff - speaking as a competent bedroom DJ - which isn’t saying much tbh :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah didn’t he have an affair or something- I have/ watched the Scorsese documentary- living in the material world

Him and Ringo were/are cool. Pal drummer of mine says Ringo’s drumming has been unfairly maligned

There’s a recent documentary on Netflix about drummers & they rated Ringo. I watched it the other night & followed it up with a bass players doc on the iPlayer.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81450094?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp&vlang=en&clip=81477383

BBC Four - Guitar, Drum and Bass, Series 1, On Bass... Tina Weymouth!

Enjoying the Beatles doc just now. I’m not a major fanboy, but love the way the songs are growing as they jam away.

2 Likes

I watched a series about drumming with Stewart Copeland where he charted the history of drumming which included many of the most famous drummers and they were very complimentary about Ringo too. Basically saying he did whatever made the song better rather than making himself look good, kind of less is more sort of thing.
I suspect a lot of his stick dates back to Lennon’s comment about him not even being the best drummer in the Beatles.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s what my pal said. He’s economic - he does what’s required. A bit like a Matisse painting … I can get on board with that. And metronomic… Not a ginger baker bash them till they fall over type ( and then tell everybody to f@ck off :rofl: )

2 Likes

One of my all time fave put downs:

A fan asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world…to which the reply came:

“He’s not even the best drummer in the band!”

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

One of my favourites was Mark Waugh sledging Mark Robinson (I think) during the ashes and saying you aren’t the greatest player are you.

Robinson replied with something like,

“Maybe not, but at least I’m the best in my family” :joy:

3 Likes

OK, my wife didn’t enjoy it quite as much. I had to turn over after she had “listened to 2 hours of that noise” :joy:

5 Likes

:rofl:

Apparently Love Me Do was their first single, in the charts 17/10/1962. I can’t find a list of what was released the same week but I think it stacks up well against the other crap that got to no.1 in 1962

Also, cant believe how much of that shit is still on radios today. It’s familiar, not good, music. And that’s no excuse.

https://youtu.be/ajEkzwf7WNY

Hayzus Christ

1 Like