Running / riding in the heat

To be fair, Matt looked like he was running in his Grandad’s vest…and I think his right hand is trying to say ‘party’ :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Why the heck is the HR strap down there???
Has his heart sank in the heat :thinking::roll_eyes:

I would never get changed for a 70.3, and I don’t mind running in the Nopinz suit when it is cooler, but for an full distance race, 30-60 seconds to get changed is worth it.

I will admit to never wearing the white top for training as it looks so awful, however, I find that it is the best top I have for keeping the balance between weight and staying cool/damp, so have raced a number of time wearing it

There are some pretty good pictures of Matt at the finish line; I think he’s pleased to be there :rofl:

Yep, certainly over 42k if that’s what you prefer. My main point wasnt to criticise, but just saying that comfort is important - and also personal. As it stands, I’m more than comfortable from a cooling perspective in my compressport top, and would never want to run a marathon in a top that can bounce up and down on my nipples! (without having undertaken standalone marathon precautions!)

The question becomes, does the aero gains of switching to a high end aero trisuit provide more payback on the bike than I’d lose on the run, either in terms of performance degradation through overheating, or by having to change? (it could be neither of those are relevant / necessary, in which case only upside)

They’re the mesh type cooling patterns on the tri top I have. Great for running, but I was assuming is costing something in terms of “aeroness”

Is there a way to pour water over yourself without soaking your trainers and getting trenchfoot?

Does pouring water over yourself actually have a measurable cooling effect anyway or is it just a feel good measure?

No but Vaporfly’s are pretty good wet

I didn’t feel massively hot in Hamburg, maybe better adapted to heat or maybe water was providing cooling effect? Probably an element of both

I try to soak my cap and wear it.

Basically I need to lose 10kg of body fat though :rofl:

I was putting ice in my cap and down the trisuit and couldn’t cool down.

Been in the sauna a couple of times recently in preparation for Nice. Being in the M45 category means we’ll be running right in the main heat of the day, whereas the early starters will have a 2 hour benefit on us.

Jeff

1 Like

Other thing to consider is I’ve seen friend get bad sunburn on back hrough his tri suit as it was more open material to allow cooling.

1 Like

Slight benefit offered by calf guards here. It’s only when I open the valve for a #1 that it generally soaks them through so it reaches my shoes :joy:

1 Like

Think it was on the old forum we had this same discussion. Individually variable but massively trainable. Look up ‘christof schwiening salt’ for the basic biology from a Cambridge academic who runs a 2:45 marathon in his late 40s.

Water-retaining cooling cap (RealX) helps me. Take one sip of water and pour the rest on the cap. It releases slowly enough not to soak your shoes (the only time I ever got a black toenail was from chucking too much water around, with wet feet/socks sliding around in my shoes).

Ice under the cap just made my head hurt, but I don’t have much hair on top. Much better to put ice down back of tri-top, so it sits in the small of the back melting slowly.

When I did that it just went straight to my arse crack!

1 Like

It does require a snug-fitting tri-top! :grinning:

1 Like

On our longer weekend rides in the summer (circa 100k) one of the team captains takes an old sock with him , and at one of the breaks takes ice from the ice chest (kept in the support car which follows us all the time), and fills the sock and sicks that down the back of his neck to keep cool.

Nice bit of cardiac drift this morning

Steadyish 5m30km pace, 33C

Was definitely ready to stop by the end. Maybe try the GrahamO ice sock trick next time

edit, I suspect HR and RPE were rising with core temperature, might even do an experiment and take a thermometer on a a run soon just to see. In which case it’s all about cooling & maybe ice socks are indeed the way forward!

3 Likes

It’s 11°C here and I’m sat here like Prince Andrew :joy::white_check_mark:

4 Likes

think I got his share, clothes were proper soaked today

1 Like

Sort of did an experiment yesterday and today, to see what effect heat has. I’m feeling pretty well acclimatised now after 4 months in the ME.

Yesterday went for a run in the middle of the day, it was 45C. I wore a hat, long thin-sleeved top and thin white gloves for sun protection.

33 minutes at 5m49/km. It was feeling quite hard by the end, RPE 7-8. Took my temperature at the end, it was 38.1C and took nearly 20 minutes to settle to normal 36.5C.

Today I went to the gym. Air conditioned to 21C. Did an over-under set on the treadmill. 31 minutes at 3m53/km. Also felt pretty hard, RPE 8. But checked my temp at the end: 36.6C. So no core temp rise at all, which surprised me because I gave it some Welly. ( ignore the distance, that’s a random number from my watch)

TLDR: running in the heat is a lot slower :hot_face:

8 Likes

Now try doing an Ironman in 40+ degrees :rofl:

We should probably have a Forum Badge for that right :wink: There can’t be many on TT that have done that; I think I was the only one in Frankfurt 2015? Doubtless someone has done Vichy in 40+? Kona rarely gets that hot in Oct iirc.

3 Likes