The Mince Pie thread

Bought the Tesco crumble topped, nice idea, poorly executed, not much mincemeat, a bit shallow, flavour ok but not as good as the Sainsburys ones, 7/10

1 Like

I always like the artisan bakers , fresh made instore. They are usually extortionate but almost as good as my mum bakes

2 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s probably a good job I donā€™t live anywhere near oneā€¦ having said that thereā€™s the fancy cafe round the corner that does its own pasties and things, I wonder if they do them.

1 Like

Just come out of a bakery; I was tempted. Ultimately baulked at the Ā£2.99 price for 4!

1 Like

I paid Ā£3 for one last year, I could have bought a fresh home baked muffin for the same price that was four times the size :wink:

3 Likes

Succumbed to the offer of a first mince pie of the year. Bog standard Sainsburyā€™s crap. Only the one! Some of those luxury ones and Iā€™d be eating the whole pack, lucky my colleague is very cost conscious.
Pinning on a number on Sunday morning (first and last time in 2021) so maybe I will lose the willpower by Sunday elevenses.

4 Likes

:saxophone:

Waitrose. Okay but I preferred the Morrisons deep fill.

4 Likes

Sainsbury iced mince pies - look good on the cover of the box, itā€™s a no from me. Maybe a coincidence but I never have stomach trouble, but was woken up with the acid at the back of my throat in the middle of the night

Assuming that is a coincidence, still only 4/10

2 Likes

Always felt the iced ones were a bit too sweet.

2 Likes

Hestonā€™s night before xmas mince pies. Nothing too poncy about them. Gawjus!

2 Likes

Apart from the fact that itā€™s nowhere near Xmas (so youā€™re ok to watch Die Hard :wink: :+1:t2:) Iā€™ve always felt the idea of a mince pie is better than the reality.
Iā€™ve tried all types and brands and they never seem to live up anything. theyā€™re gone in a few seconds and itā€™s only the cream or custard that makes them nice.

Xmas pudding on the other hand, ooh yeah, load that mother up.

4 Likes

Mince Pies are the warm up to the main eventā€¦ the Christmas Pud. Otherwise I donā€™t feel Iā€™d be prepared for the onslaught of dried fruits.

2 Likes

I only really like the puff pastry ones, not a fan of the Kipling-esque generic crumbly shortcust ones.

Pie warmed up a little, stone cold ambrosia custard on top.

I am aware if the issue here.

4 Likes

I donā€™t know why I keep coming back into this thread. I know I really want a mince pie but I also know I wonā€™t have one until December. Itā€™s a form of self torture I swear :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I know I keep coming back to this thread to see the pictures :pensive: Canā€™t get them in Germany and I donā€™t even know if Iā€™ll get a box this year with British Christmas goodies - not even sure if mince pies can be sent in the post since Brexit. Itā€™s like Easter without creme eggs.
Might see if Delia Smith can help. Think she has a recipe on her website.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve made mincemeat a few times, itā€™s pretty straightforwardā€¦

Is pretty close to the last recipe I made, but now canā€™t find.

3 Likes

1 Like

:pray: thank you so much. Iā€™ll give it a try and post some photos of my own :grin:

Edit - what can i use instead of suet?

2 Likes