The motorcycle thread

There’s a V-Due on eBay saying “still fuel injected, how they should be” and I thought no, give that a miss. :joy:

I’ve only ridden a (non-race) outfit a couple of times. I’ve no idea how they get the lap times in them. Amazing skills. I think Mr M would agree with you, sounds like he got bored with the 600s and lack of innovation.

1 Like

Now that’s a lean angle :scream:

6 Likes

There used to be a 250 racer called (I think) Jamie Robinson that could get his elbow and nearly his shoulder down!

Scotty getting his head down :rofl:

1 Like

That’s been pretty standard for years now. Certainly since Marc entered the championship and made it the defacto style.

I’m talking late 80s, it definitely wasn’t the norm then, he was like a bloody spider!

I think Marquez has set a new std for that. Must be over a dozen times now he’s actually as good as crashed but picked it back up on his elbow & saved it.

3 Likes

Incredible to watch but the downside of course is that it’s also the reason why he’s currently laying in a US hospital wondering if he’ll be able to do ride at that level ever again :frowning_face:

1 Like

They broke the bone and rotated it 30° and reset it. Sounded a lot to me, no wonder his arm didn’t work properly.

3 Likes

Not a biker so perhaps the reason why I just don’t get the TT

2 deaths this year

262 since the event started

As a motorcycle and motorcycle racing fan I don’t get it. Even as far back as the death of Phil Mellor (1989) I thought the IoM was a price not worth paying. I understand the thrill of riding flat out on ordinary roads but I personally wouldn’t be part of an event known to be above an acceptable risk level (which is the subjective bit, I assume. My risk level is probably lower than McGuiness or Hickman or do they feel there isn’t significant risk because they’ve done so many laps?).

The same goes for the current specifications in Moto2 and Moto3 where the machines are equal and no one has a technical advantage. That makes the racing really close but dangerous because when someone falls off there is a chance of getting hit by someone because they’re all riding around in a pack.

it’s a different beast and a different mentality for short circuit racers to wrap their heads around. A good friend of mine was an excellent club races and used to kick my ass regularly.

He went to the Island three times, failed to qualify twice, got through one year and his race had a crash on the mountain, did a "Connor Cummins’ and broke both his legs in a crash that saw him launched about 150mtrs.

He went back but just to watch. I’ve never been but really like watching it.
Just watched a series on Netflix called ‘Road Riders’ and it gives an insight into the ‘Road Family’. Definitely a different breed!

1 Like

I love the TT and have really missed it the last 2 years but I think anyone who watches it is a bit conflicted about the thrill and danger that make it what it is but also end people’s lives.
The main thing for me is that these are all adults who make a conscious decision to race in the full knowledge of what might happen. It’s not a cheap sport that young kids get into as a way out of poverty for example, like boxing.
Having said that, where does that logic end, we wouldn’t allow fights to the death as long as both parties agreed to it but ultimately it is an accident when someone dies, not an integral part of the sport.
I’ve never been and am desperate to sort something out soon as there is a part of me that thinks it will be banned sooner or later.

3 Likes

Who’d be Espargaro today!

Loads of 'em have done it. He said it was because his pit board was at the end of the pit wall and too close to his breaking point to look at so he was using a screen for the crowd but he now realises it they count differently to his pit board which ends on 1 and the crowd screen ends on 0.

I thought they were allowed ship to shore counters now? The last one I can remember was either Tony Elias or KRJ.

Wayne Rainey too who couldn’t see his pit board because Schwantz was in the way so he thought there was another lap to do.

My VJ22 engine is being stripped down tonight, a text from the engine builder…

“Some small issues, but age & storage related. It all looks good, blow by on both pistons, water in gear oil, bit of carbon on the underside of pistons”.

Photos to follow. :astonished:

Thoughts and prayers for the engine. :pray:

8 Likes

Davy Morgan dies at the 27th mile marker. Third death this year. How very sad.

1 Like