The motorcycle thread

What these poor guys’ families are going through :scream:

That’s horrendous. Weirdly, I can understand how that could come about, but still :frowning_face:

2 Likes

It’s been a bad year, this however is inexcusable.

I hope they have their insurance payments up to date, someone will be looking for, and deserve compo here.

2 Likes

Really would need to know the details, the riders have to wear dog tags & I would expect that the mix up is related to what happened to them in the crash. Tragic nevertheless.

3 Likes

That’s absolutely awful.

That’s what I was thinking but couldn’t think of a respectful way of saying it.

As I understand it, dog tags are only checked at scrutineering. I’ve known mates comment that they sometimes forget to wear them on track which obviously wouldn’t help.

I’ve just read that the crash involved a significant fire. No excuses but that would make identification much harder :frowning_face:

2 Likes

So an update on the VFR refurb. I was on half term, last week, so wanted to get a chunk of work done while I could. Finished the carb rebuild as posted above and I’ve done a quick bench carb sync. It took 2 hours to get the carbs back on, even with new connector boots. I was able to get the front 2 on okay but the rear 2 needed some heat from a heat gun, to get them on.

Overhauled all the seals in the cooling system, while I had access to them.

I wanted to check the state of the water pump and put a new seal on the housing. Unfortunately the cover was stuck fast, so the whole water pump came out, pi$$ing oil all over my drive! Managed to catch most of it in my bike cover, which I’ve had to bin. This meant I had to get a replacement oil seal too. All now installed back in the bike.

Tonight I’ve put new fuel lines in, fuel filter and connected all back up to the tank. New tank rubbers and air filter.

Just need to get an oil filter wench to complete the oil change and top up the coolant and hopefully, it’ll be ready to fire up this weekend. :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

Excellent work and patience mate👍

2 Likes

Oh dear…

It is with deep sense of sorrow that the Isle of Man TT Races can announce the loss of Roger and Bradley Stockton following an incident on the final lap of the second Sidecar Race of the 2022 Isle of Man TT Races.

Roger and Bradley were father and son, and driver and passenger respectively.

We extend our deepest sympathy to their families, loved ones and friends.

Aged 56, today marked Roger’s 20th race start in his 11th TT appearance. Bradley, aged 21, was competing in his second race at his first TT. Racing together, they recorded an impressive 8th-place finish in the first Sidecar Race of TT 2022, with a best lap at an average speed of 106.00mph.

Whilst it was Bradley’s first TT as a competitor, it was by no means his first experience of the TT, having grown up in the paddock and made his first visit as a one-year old. Aged 16, he decided that he wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps and asked if he could race alongside him as his passenger. Once he had returned to the Isle of Man to begin studying the course, he said ‘he couldn’t wait to race in the TT‘.

Roger’s first TT was in 2000. He competed regularly until 2008 and returned in 2010, 2017, and for this year’s event. Speaking earlier in the year, he said: ‘I’ve retired a few times before, but always come back for my love of the sport. Going around the course with my own flesh and blood will be incredible.’

The loss of two members of our paddock and two people from the same family is truly heart-breaking, but the bond between a father and son who achieved their dream to compete together at the TT provides us with a glimmer of light at such a dark time.

2 Likes

It was at Ago’s leap again wasn’t it? I wonder what’s upsetting the sidecars through there this year?

Nevertheless, it’s been brutal this year :cry:

1 Like

I was wondering if something’s changed due to the lay off. Surface, road furniture?

1 Like

No idea mate. Let’s hope that’s the last of it for this week.

2 Likes

In happier motorcycle news, I’ve got the engine back fully rebuild. New pistons, crank bearings, clutch and loads of gaskets and clips ‘n’ stuff.

:+1:

10 Likes

Ring a ding ding!

1 Like

Nice!

In other happier motorcycle news!! I’ve got the VFR running.

https://youtube.com/shorts/EzZgR8cpqAA?feature=share

But, got fuel leaking from carb2, which is a bit of an issue.

8 Likes

Good work. :+1:

Is that how they sound? Is that a knock or just how the sound has been captured?

Sounds like the cam chain tensioner.

Gear driven cams. :wink:

Tappets might need adjusting.

1 Like

If it had a cam chain tensioner and it was worn, it would sound exactly like that :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Probably just a loose conrod then :wink:

2 Likes