The motorcycle thread

Saw this beauty yesterday. 11,000 miles from new.

5 Likes

Am I old fashioned or would you expect a company you’re about to spend £400 with to answer an email or the phone? I was going to send the brake calipers off for a service (including re-coating) but I want to know it’s a functioning company before I do. The two companies I’d short listed also have an eBay shop so I checked their reviews - not good.

Telling the above story to the engine builder the other day he said to try Muc-Off and a scrubbing brush or Rock Oil do something that’s basically Muc-Off++ so I’ve ordered both which should arrive today. The calipers don’t leak, they just need a really good clean so hopefully this will work.

I think I said above that the exhausts I ordered didn’t fit, the engine builder said they’ve sent you RGV (mine is an RS) and they can be made to fit with a Demel so I ran this past the seller and he said to send them back but it’s almost certainly something I’m doing wrong which is a bit worrying as the bike is in bits, if I can’t line up one bolt with one hole it’s not a good sign.

Yesterday afternoon he emailed and apologised saying he had another customer with an RGV saying their exhausts don’t fit. So it seems we both have bits of each others kit. Just as well as the hole was about 20mm out so would have needed a lot of Demel work.

5 Likes

Do you live close to each other? Could be a faff free swap?

I don’t know, data protection and all that. I’ve already sent them back. Good job I’m not in a rush because it all takes ages.

Edit…

It lives! First time it’s been switched on since 2001.

9 Likes

The cleaning stuff arrived today, Muc-Off and Rock Oil Dirt Buster so I started cleaning up the rear caliper. By chance new brake lines also arrived so the rear caliper and master cylinder has been dry mounted and it’s all looking good.

I’m pleased with today, things went well and it was a bit cooler. Tomorrow the replacement exhaust arrives so things might be different.

6 Likes

looking slick :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve very jealous, Andy. I had a torrid time today. I finished refurbing the radiator, as best as I could. I’ll buy a new one in the future, but for now, I cleaned up the fan unit and got as much crud out of the fins as possible. So got it all back on the bike and fired it up. All fine and the bike was running more smoothly after doing the valve clearances. Then put in the new fuel pump only for it to blow the ignition fuse. Put a spare in, thinking it might just have been a temporary fault only to blow again. :frowning: Had a look at the new fuel pump I bought and it’s wired up with its polarity inverted compared to the old one. FFS. I can easily cut and solder it, but I really shouldn’t have too. What I thought would be an easy fix is proving to be anything but.

6 Likes

You are a very patient person mate. I don’t mind cleaning, re-fitting etc but fault finding does my head in.

1 Like

Cheers @FatPom I wanted to use this as a project where I was going to learn new stuff, so that’s definitely happening. I’ve got to the point where I have already spent more money than the bike is worth, so I’ve just got to keep going. I just keep telling myself I’m going to be the owner of a modern classic! :grinning:

4 Likes

Got an email saying “your parcel has been delivered” but it hasn’t. The photo taken of the delivery was a black square so I called them, “enter the 16 digit parcel number - your parcel has been delivered” and it hangs up. Found another number and it had been delivered about 20 houses away - FFS.

Unpacked it and one exhaust is dented in two places:

I fitted them anyway and while they do fit the dents are clear to see. Seller offered a discount but they’re going back. It’s so disappointing. Third time lucky.

8 Likes

Are these the ones that the other person had? I wonder if they tried to fit them with a bit of force? Although if they were returned to the vendor, then that should have been picked up and never sent to you.

That’s what I said, are these the other guys returned units. He obviously didn’t unpack them before sending them on. He’s being OK about it, offered a discount to keep them or to pay for return postage. Of course it all takes time but I’m waiting on the wheels and fuel tank anyway so it makes no difference. Just annoying.

1 Like

A pleasant Friday lunch and couple of pints at the bike shed. I can confirm I did no skids and didn’t run…

9 Likes

Wouldn’t knowing you’re being filmed encourage it?:wink:

Definitely :grinning:

That little husky you can see was making me hanker after a small capacity motard again for local hooning. She had Leo’s on it and it sounded lovely.

2 Likes

Not annotate but the new Triumph being built in India looks interesting

1 Like

The third set and they fit, hurrah.

9 Likes

Blingtastic!

2 Likes

Brrring-a-ding-dingtastic! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have my Mum here for a couple of days, she’s never seen the bike. Proudly took the cover off to show her and noticed a a couple of drops of oil on the floor!

Also some streaking on the bread bin, which indicates it happened on the last ride. I’m hoping it’s something like a sump gasket. Will investigate after lunch.

bugger :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes