The over 50's

Managed to sneak under 20 mins at my local parkrun today for the first time since getting injured.
Will carry on with the easy runs during the week and two strength sessions and see if i can get my time down to what it was last year.

It is the same with the top marathon runners. Most of there training is a lot slower than race pace.

High end run pace has been in constant decline for a few years, yet it’s been an “ ok “ season still.
Sub 20 parkrun is a good standard for a decent 70.3 or Ironman.
If you we’re concentrating on sprint and Olympic maybe a touch faster…

Hi TriCurious

At 55 competed first ever ironman (tri X) this year - attempted Tri Extreme but due to cramp issues (now sorted) I was timed out on the bike - will be completing that one next year!

Anyway I digress. For me I noticed that I have become far more chilled and less obsessed, especially with times. Looking at my training log from Jan - June Tri X I see that I trained between 4-18 hours cardio per week, building up from start of year. I probably took off about half of that time as cardio rest days. Either complete rest or lots of core and strength on those days.

Sometimes this was as I was just getting wind of a small niggle (shouder, achillees, knee to name a few), and sometimes as I just lost the will/became too chilled/found my MBA dissertation too time consuming.

Most of my training was probably long sloggy apart from running hill reps as I just wanted to complete my first ironman. 18 hours (28/50 finishers) was never going to win me a v50 prize, especially as the winning time was 14 hours. 15 I think for the first v50, but it’s given me a base now, a base of belief to train on and improve on. Tri X this year was 2.4/116.5/27.1

I do stretch loads, in fact my hammys are the dogs b, managing to still do the yoga plough and also when stretching put a few fingers on the floor!I always do short stretches after any training, and generally have a smoothie within the first 10 mins for recovery.

I have noticed that my recovery from longer events does take a while, but have also noticed that I seem to be able to burn far more fat as a fuel than I used to.

I notice that there are stregthening exercises that I really want to do, for example calves, but always have to ease back as I have always had sensitive sessamoids (oooh matron, sounds painful etc etc).

Dare I say it, perhaps I have become wiser over the years, and mentally tougher which sometimes makes up for lack of training?

I sometimes manage walking, or keeping up some of my old martial art moves, or some bouldering for interest. Soon to start kayaking now that I’m moving to Scotland.

1 Like

As if the “Age Vs Injury” point needed making and more, following strength training at the gym yesterday, I got on the bike this morning for my usual 10 mile commute, and after about 5 minutes pulled a muscle in my Glute/top of hamstring. :-1:
Another week missed…

@Clive sounds like you have it pretty much sorted and are doing the sensible things.
I don’t stretch and never have and can’t touch my toes!!! Maybe something I should start :thinking:

I was 54 last in April and with a very sorry back history. I’ve noticed that I can’t do the intensity across riding and running, I can do one or the other these days but intensity is relative. Last year my FTP at 81kgs was 267 and this year it’s fallen off a cliff.

This is mostly because I’ve been concentrating on ultra running and did the sum total of zero time trials this and no road racing (bike). It gets really hard to access that top 10% layer each year. You can access it but the number is lower.

I’ve had some run highlights earlier in the year with 1:38 at Reading HM, a 43.30 at Winchester 10km and a 2:55 at the Bramley 20 miler but it took its toll on the bike.

Also made a conscious decision to mix things up and am entering the world of XC mtb racing. I try and get one speed session run in per week, usually a 10 min warm up with 5-7 1km/4.05 efforts on 2min rest. That’s not easy these days and hurts like f**k.

I’ve surfed more and worried less this year but also paying for it on the scales. Need to drop at least 6kgs, have really taken my eye off the ball there.

Over 50, just get out and do something consistently, that’s my MO these days.

1 Like

I think sometimes we compare ourselves to our peers on sites like this…

Some are faster/ slower/ course dependent etc.

When comparing to the general population, even regular gym users we are all shifting on in our old age.

There are people dying of inactivity and obesity, we need to focus on what we can do as opposed to what we can’t.

For someone who thinks he’s fat, your run times are excellent, your not going to be a very fast cyclist as you don’t seem to bike that much …

Good luck with the mud pluggers, not for me, but I’m sure you ll have fun, which is what really matters

4 Likes

Cheers Mungo. It certainly gets harder!

Re the bike, this is my worst year on the bike in 30 years of riding/racing. Last year I did 5/20/5 duathlon at Eton Dorney and ,managed a 28.55 bike split, this year I would be way off that. Point is, a few years ago, I could do both with intensity, it’s just not the case now and TBH, I think some of the ‘want’ is gone.

Smiles and miles are the name of the game now. :+1:

2 Likes

I had to drag myself to the pool/ lake for 18 months …
Obviously got slower…

One day I wanted to swim again, I’m slow but steady In the water!

Did a 33 in a 70.3 this year which is great for me…

One of the few constants in life is change…
This time next year you could be a watt monster !

If your happy doing what your doing … so what…

1 Like

47 and getting faster. I do most of my intensity on the bike, Typically my bike rides are 60-70% zone 2, the rest is z3/z4

bike is where I am strongest, but also seems to help with the run. I am running about 30-40km per week, mostly around 5min/km. 80% of running is z2.

I am aware that I will start to get slower, but doing my best to put it off

1 Like

I hear you on this.

I ran a sub 20 and was 4th out of over 250 at my local parkrun last Saturday but was disapointed that I wasn’t faster instead of thinking that I am probably doing well for my age.

1 Like

I can relate to what you say.
We always want more, faster more efficient racing.
If your 50 and you can run a 19 min 5 k and you go 20 I can see why you wouldn’t be happy.

However if you told joe or joe Anne Random that your 50 and only came 4th in a race of 250 with an average age of… well not 50 … they would think you were a bit Nuts.

I had good races at Deva and Bolton … more so Deva but a 60 year old beat me both times…

Good on him!!

We’re maturing slowly!

3 Likes

I did a triathlon back in August, Bewl Olympic. Delighted to finish 5th overall and assumed this would land the AG win.

But full results showed that ahead were 1 M50-54 (my AG), and 1 M55-59.

The 3 of us had beaten every M40-44 and 45-49! There’s some good athletes around.

3 Likes

A guy at Oulton …I’m sure he was 60?
Beat everyone in 60-65
55-60
50-55
45-50.

It wasn’t a stellar field, I won 50-55 and had a huge PW but he still beat me by 10 mins IIRC…

It’s only a number…

Haha the slower the better :smile:

By never being particulary fast I am hoping i can get faster in the years to come and a short term goal for next year is to try and do a sub 19 5K next year.

1 Like

Every New year I make 10 targets for the year.
Next years will include a 19:30 5k.

The main difference in sprint tri splits would be my run, swim and bike haven’t moved much in 15 years but my 18:30 run split days are gone forever.

With 70.3 and full distance the main objective next year I guess top end run speed is not the most important thing anymore.

Hopefully with the run volume for a full distance you will hit your 5K target especially if you have had that speed in your legs before.

1 Like

Being honest I never tried … this year
20 mins was always enough.
I’ll certainly tri!

2 Likes

So I’ve been doing Pilates for the last month and it’s been a bit of a game changer. For years, my legs have been made of glass. I’d train for a bit, then something would break, usually a lower leg injury somewhere. I’ve been doing a 45 minute Pilates class and another 30 min strength session at home and I’ve felt a noticeable difference. I can’t really explain it, but I just don’t feel like I’m going to break down and I’m able to run with a bit more confidence. Even after a weekly speedwork session, which would normally leave me broken, I’m feeling pretty good afterwards. Not saying I’m never getting injured again, but if feels bloody good to be running freely again.

2 Likes

This works for me too @wheezy. When I am outside of Ironman build I do yoga and Pilates, and I have found that it helps with my injury prevention on the run training. Next year I am run focused and will be incorporating lots of functional strength work (CrossFit gym) and then Pilates and yoga at home, to allow my body to take the beating. I am only 44 though, so not sure if it gives even more improvement when you are in your 50s.

1 Like