The over 50's

If you fancy a hill challenge, when you’ve climbed Cheddar Gorge (which is pretty easy bar two corners that ramp up), on your way to Priddy you will see a road on the right that says ‘Glider Club’, head down there and be careful because locally it’s known as ‘Draycott Steep’ (I think it’s called New Road actually).

At the bottom you’ll get to a monument, turn around and go back up DO NOT STOP, you’ll never get going again. I’ve done it about 4 times, never in the wet and only once on the TT bike, which I shall never be stupid enough to do again. :wink:

2 Likes

Arch 2 Arc will be my race that got away. Would still love to do it and if I was single would commit even now. But training for that and family time are not really compatible and I value the family time more.

3 Likes

I look back now and hate to do it but wonder, what if? about many things but sport related could I have been quite good at running if I’d bothered training rather than turning up after a typical Saturday night out with mates, my 10k pb was a lunchtime start the day after an 8 pint night ffs! An 8 pint night these days would leave me in no fit state to run the next day let alone do well.

2 Likes

The desire to ride it is much more closely correlated to reminiscing about my climbing years than any cycling challenge!

Chances of me remembering that are slim to non existent :rofl:

2 Likes

Trust me, if you do not, you’ll never bloody forget it🤣

2 Likes

I asked a few mates if they fancied doing the Itera Scotland race at some point but none of them fancy it. I only asked the guys that do are ultra runners and the like. I think it would be a couple of years to get ready for me with the paddling, etc. Maybe something like that might get your juices going? Itera Scotland
That relay race around Mont Blanc looks fun too.

2 Likes

I’m definitely feeling in my 50’s today :grimacing::joy:

Late 50’s as well :roll_eyes:

16 Likes

Fark….

Puts us all to shame

12 Likes

The M55 winner yesterday did 4:30 and a 26 minute swim! Run was almost the same as mine though.

M60 did 4:50

Obviously still very good, I’m guessing the M50 guy was a competitive swimmer at some point.

4 Likes

Which race did you do Jeff ?

70.3?

1 Like

Yes, it was Texas 70.3, put it on the 2022 races thread.

Good to race after so long though :+1:

Although going to an 80’s night at a club on Friday might not have been the best preparation :joy: I didn’t drink much and left about midnight!

6 Likes

Texas!

Bloody hell, some fast old feckers out there, not being a hater but are they not allowed to have test prescribed from the doctor… that has to help ?!

Well done

2 Likes

Yes, there’s anti-aging clinics and you can mysteriously be diagnosed with low T!

Having said that they guy with the 26 minute swim was probably from a swim background. 2:20 on the bike was motoring though.

1 Like

Should I be concerned that YouTube are pushing adverts to me about house lifts :grimacing:

I’m that bad yet, even today :joy:

10 Likes

You’re getting off lightly, all my ads at the moment are for cheap funerals near Yeovil :neutral_face:

What does Google know

8 Likes

In the past couple of weeks, since joining the club, I’ve had post for…

• over 50 plan
  • funeral plan
  • pension provider telling me that they’re moving me to lower risk funds as I’m nearing retirement age
  • bowel screening test kit - poo sticks as my daughter called it

Just waiting for Saga brochure to hit the doormat and I’ll have the full set :slight_smile:

No wonder people have a mid-life crisis if this is what happens…

10 Likes

Hmm, I’ve not had the poo sticks yet, or the rubber glove :grimacing:

Interestingly, none of that happened to me.
I had a check-up with the GP, slightly high cholesterol but otherwise fine.

I do think about the funeral plan occasionally. I want to be buried under a tree and there’s not too many places that do it so every couple of years I do a quick google to see if there’s anywhere new.

Saga is an interesting one. I’ve never been on a package holiday so suspect I’m not on any of those lists

4 Likes

I think I only got the Saga mailings when I turned 50 - they got a stern call from me to desist!

Don’t ignore the “shit on a stick” tests - they are a valuable screening tool.

2 Likes

I had a check-up in my mid 40’s, they didn’t seem concerned and my total cholesterol was 3.8, and was similar recently, had other blood tests for my blood sugar etc. and the doctor said they were really good and what he’d expect to see off someone a fair bit younger (might have been a verbal placebo!).

I am expecting some over 50’s tests at some point but I’m guessing it is backlogged due to all the restrictions since I turned 50 but I’ll go when called. No obvious symptoms so fingers crossed!

Luckily no saga yet :grin:

4 Likes