The Sanitisation of Ironman

Yeah, I saw that :slightly_frowning_face:

To counter my own argument, when I did London Worlds in 2013, I was swam over, had a little panic and it was ā€œraceā€ over for me

1 Like

Hyde park was awful. In the 2011 Olympic Test Event it wasnt too bad but you had 180 degree turn after about 200m which was carnage also. I just sprinted off the start to get there as quick as possible , although it ruined the rest of my swim :roll_eyes:

The other thing of course is people who are good in the swim but less so on the bike and spend most of the race getting overtaken.

A friend from our running club is doing Wales this year, depending on how much effort she puts into the swim sheā€™d be capable of breaking an hour, but I think sheā€™s using a road bike, and although sheā€™s not a bad cyclist she knows sheā€™ll spend a lot of time going backwards.

Having said that, if she saves something for the run sheā€™ll start moving up again.

Jeff

1 Like

I was going to post about this. Everyone is getting rapped up about swim seeding when the swim time has the least outcome on overall time. Iā€™m a mop swimmer but finished 9th in AG at Wales. I was held up quite a lot on the bike through the twisty roads, the bike pace of some of the quicker swimmers was rediculously slow and I think far more dangerous to have such high closing speeds in the braking zones than having to swim past folk in the water.
As a result Iā€™m motivated to start as near to the front as possible in the swim regardless of my swim time.
I would fully support a KQ wave behind the pros that you need to qualify for.
Of course I need to improve my swim, thatā€™s a WIP.

Frankfurt https://youtu.be/IP3jKuXk6cs

2 Likes

That looks ace!
The people at the back, to the left, couldnā€™t give a :poop: - theyā€™re still standing around chatting two minutes after the start :ok_hand:t4:

2 Likes

That looks like a looong swim for some of them at the back!

Amen brother. I know the feeling well.

Yep, and when I did it in 2018, it took bloody ages to get everyone off and racingā€¦ and the self seeding was a jokeā€¦ I was in the 3rd of 4 pens, and was swimming past folk from pen 1 by half way, and I only swam 1:19, so not what youā€™d call speedy.

Saying all of that, it is still a superb raceā€¦ the lake is just fabulousā€¦ crystal clear, perfect temp, aqua blue water for stunning pics, and with mountain peaks to make sighting really easy!

1 Like

IM is a money making business. The idea that the race (or the concern of individual competitors) is in any way important is to miss the point.

3 Likes

The only true answer. The sport is screwed when its run by a PEC and not a governing body, not that governing bodies have exactly been beacons of hope in other sports ā€¦ahem uciā€¦fifaā€¦ioc ahemā€¦

The canal section in Austria is only the last 800m or so; so people are pretty strung out even in a mass start.

Roth has always been wave starts in the canal apart from 1994 when they used the Rothsee lake. Trouble with the Rothsee was mist in the mornings, so they canned that idea.

1 Like

TBH with the ā€œnewā€ Lanza course and your biking ability, I reckon youā€™ll pass most of the slow guys on the climb up the donkey track at the beginning :wink: The Lanza course isnā€™t kind to weaker cyclists.

1 Like

Yes, and with only 2 mins between waves, Matt shouldnā€™t have too many people to ride throughā€¦ as long as he doesnā€™t do 1:18 again :wink:

1 Like

Mass swim starts definitely further benefits better swimmers. Not sure i have any desire to go back to situations like IM-Mallorca where they stuck 2500 odd xAGā€™s into the water at once, where my watch was lost in first 50m and then I spent next 35mins doggy paddling and getting constantly kicked and punched, before eventually finding enough space to actually swim. Small waves and rolling starts, make the overall race fairer as it becomes more of a straight out time trial (stronger swimmers still get a tactical advantage as theyā€™re up the road first).

From a strategic point of view the swim is already hugely important, ie get out of T1 quickly and youā€™re onto an non-congested bike with mostly only strong riders around. Slower out of T1 and youā€™re battling through traffic and slowing/surging past slower riders who donā€™t know how to go round corners (donā€™t get me started on the average IMā€™rs bike handling skills). Being a weaker biker and/or runner doesnā€™t give you this disadvantage. (In case you havenā€™t guessed Iā€™m a shite swimmer with a good bike/run :blush:)

Is the lack of mano e mano, Ironwar-esque AG battles for the line, really a big issue? Even if it was, not one I can see corporate IM giving a toss about. Iā€™ve never won my AG, but my Mrs has and standing at the finish staring at the tracking app to make sure none of the girls behind her would pip her was properly exciting.

One thing I have seen which seemed to improve this ā€™ AG racingā€™ element was when Iā€™ve done IMā€™s in Australia, where they give everyone a tattoo to wear on their calf which signifies your AG, that way you can see if someone ahead is in your AG and decide if you want to ā€˜raceā€™ after them. Gap in this system is that the wearing of these tattoos is not mandatory, but if some kind of AG identifier was I could see the benefits in terms of promoting racing for those fighting for AG position.

My biggest issues with ā€˜sanitisingā€™ is the fact there are so few tough/honest courses out there. All new races are relatively flat, i believe in big part to cater for the IMJ/Bucket listers. Unfortunately I think IM want more Barcaā€™s and Italys, where they know they will get 3000+ entries than Lanzas (though Wales selling out is a good thing). Potentially related to this is the prevalence of drafting (did i mention Barca already?), if the objective really is to promote fair racing then real efforts need to be made to stamp this out ie more spaced out starts, more refs, stricter penalties and less congested, more ā€˜honestā€™ bike courses.

4 Likes

Now youā€™re talking!!!
I donā€™t know how long Iā€™ve been saying this, but for someone else to say it reinforces the theory I have.

Iā€™d not taken into account that the mass start benefits the better swimmers. By that, do you mean sub hour? Or even better/slower?

Really good post. I am similar to you, weaker swimmer and good cyclist. I need whatever advantage I can get on the swim

At Elsinore 70.3 I ended up pulling a drafting pack of around 30-40 riders: as I passed people who swam better than me they latched onto my wheel and the pack just grew.

In the 70.3 world I was surprised by the poor bike handling. I probably got the worst of it as my wave went last, around 2hrs after the first wave, so I was passing the weaker cyclists from the waves ahead.

I guess that the right thing to do is not to complain, and improve my swim (couldnā€™t face swim this morning, cold, wet and windy, so went on turbo instead)

The real probelm is there are too many people of too many differing abilities on small congested courses, especially when you have laps. Itā€™ll never suit everyone, someone will always feel hard done by. As has been mentioned a few times, the owners of IM donā€™t give a sh!t as long as the Ā£Ā£Ā£ keep rolling in!

I personally agree with @Hammerer POV. Iā€™ve only done one, and that was a mass start at Wales, and i loved it. Iā€™m not a fast swimmer (1.10), but iā€™m confident in the sea, and i absolutely loved that feeling of a mass start. If i just rolled into the sea 4 at a time, i donā€™t think i wouldā€™ve had that same adrenaline buzz. It wouldnā€™t have compared to turning after the first buoy, looking back over the famous cliffs and seeing hundreds of heads and arms churning up the sea in the sunrise. I think IM are indeed making it ā€˜easierā€™ as those bucket listers are going to keep on rolling through. The more that finish, the more likely they are to talk to their friends to ā€˜go do oneā€™ at some point. Itā€™s also (maybe being a little stereotypical here) that type of competitor that is much more likely to have to do an IM branded race.

Iā€™ll go back one day and do one/some more. And i would be more than happy for the proper racers to have their own start and for me to follow after. That way it caters for everyone. If youā€™re less confident in the swi, then hang back. Again, itā€™s been noted a number of times but one of the biggest issues is SELF SEEDING!! Itā€™s the same regardless of the sport. I sometimes do a local 5km series where i know the majority of the front runners from local clubs etc. Itā€™s got a really tight start to the race, yet the amount of times (and itā€™s nearly always the persistent offenders) i see >20 min runners lining up at the start with the sub 15, 16, 17 lot ā€¦ itā€™s baffling, dangerous and annoying!

Here ends my semi-legible opinion (i didnā€™t get much sleep last night ā€¦ thanks for that toddler kid)

2 Likes

Ironman New Zealand still has a mass start

1 Like