The Time Trial Thread

That is defo an arse showing!

About 115 people in for the National 100 this year so better numbers than the 25. The course is reasonably quick on a good day on the A66 from Keswick to Cockermouth.

I’m guessing everyone that entered got a place though.

Maybe I should do some training :thinking: :joy:

2 Likes

Slim pickings at the National 50 today, it was on our local course and I didn’t do it. Was a windy day but probably a reasonable tailwind back. It’s a quick course usually but I wonder if there was a few DNS’ due to the forecast.

Only 49 male finishers & 22 females.

Male winner did 1:37, fastest lady was an impressive 1:44 which got her 9th overall.

Edit: looks like that is the second fastest ladies 50 ever!

Best courses look to be E2/50, L5012 & this one generally.

2 Likes

Got the start list for the 50 on Saturday, only 39 entries! It’s not a fast course but has low traffic. Guessing people are double booked. Hopefully numbers will return next year.

3 Likes

Our last 2 club evening 10s have been cancelled, due to lack of entries. Not sure this Wednesday’s is going ahead either.

Ours have been fairly low numbers but the one on the closed track has had some really decent numbers, they get started every 30 seconds to get them all in.

From my perspective I know I have had to be more restrained in picking races due to working to a plan. Similarly there are more people racing Tri this year who would normally be racing every TT going but are focusing on key events such as national champs and qualifiers

1 Like

I think lock down saw the growth of online riding and racing and TT’s are suffering because of that. If I go to a Sunday morning time trial I will ride and finish mid field sometimes a bit higher. A fair bit of prep, travel, risk etc. I can jump on Zwift pretty much anytime, race in Cat over different courses finish, shower and berate myself immediately on Z power. Biggest risk is falling off my turbo!
It is as easy as racing gets.

5 Likes

Looking a forward to today - tandem trike on the E2/10.

First ride on a DC this year :+1:

Finding myself unmotivated for weekend opens at the moment, preferring Wednesday away days at a quiet TT event.

This must be the least amount of opens I’ve bothered with in 10 years

7 Likes

50 for me on the old A1 at Boroughbridge, they’ve changed the course slightly as the south section into Wetherby has a really poor surface apparently.

Good luck on yours

7 Likes

Well that was a tough day, my previous 2 days and the parkrun didn’t help :joy:

2:15 would generally be disappointing but with conditions, rough tarmac, using the enigma and previous days it was more a question of job done.

233w AP, but really fell away from 50k and the last 15k was a real struggle.

Only 4 people broke 2 hours I think and most were by seconds. Except the Schubert who won by about 13 minutes :flushed:

Tandem with Duggleby on board didn’t even break 1:40 but went past me like I was stopped :joy:

And some old bloke said he had an altitude tent at home!

9 Likes

Another grim day for me at the National 100!

Despite getting there in plenty of time I still ended up rushing to get to the start in time :roll_eyes: but almost wished I hadn’t! At which point my Garmin then announced my Assioma’s were low battery :rage:

Was obvious fairly early it was going to be a long day, first lap was quite chilly but then it warmed up but was alright by me. Felt a bit sick in the first 30 minutes from my breakfast that I probably had too late, so I avoided eating or drinking and it settled.

Always felt like I was peddling through treacle. But as the ladies comp record got 5 minutes smashed off it with a stonking 3:36 it was clearly a decent day. Male winner was 3:23!

So I remembered the main reason was the training and I’d spent a decent amount on the weekend as we’re staying tonight as well. And just plugged away, with nearly an hour to go the PM gave up. And with 20k to go I realised I could dig in for sub 4:30 so did!

That’s nearly 20 minutes slower than 3 years ago on nearly the same kit, and about 7 minutes slower than last year on my propel with tribars.

Hard to say what the power was, looks like approx 210 until it went off.

HR averaged 147 which is low.

But given the HR and power the time wasn’t terrible, I kept going and got the miles in on the TT bike. Although I wasn’t much faster than the 50 last week which was worse conditions, poorer roads and the Ti bike.

I was recommended to put 165 cranks on and raise the saddle but I’m not sure it’s right for me, think my previous was 175 and the slower cadence and bigger gears possibly suits me more so I might swap back.

Onwards and upwards!

14 Likes

First off Jeff, well done, dug one out there and that’s a decent time. :clap::clap:

I just looked at your post in the training thread and that’s your answer right there ! :eyes:

2 Likes

Folks: we have a winner. On a ‘rather warm’ evening I got a season’s best of 34:40 on the Copdock course and have now done enough counting rides for the league. So I am the VW60 league champ! And if a few more women don’t get their fingers out and do some more rides I’m going to be the only woman to have done sufficient counting rides. There are only 5 more events this season.

17 Likes

Tale of woe yesterday or first world problems. Dual Carriageway on the A428 Cambourne course.

Got going, and found after quick first turn that Di2 wouldn’t shift on the poles. Tried to spin my way up to 270 watts and that didn’t work, then after a slow first mile doing that, I found that the shifters on the base bars were working, so not ideal, but thought I’d make a fist of the remainder. Got a mile past the turn on the way back and blew up ! Took the exit then got lost for half an hour trying to get back to HQ, back on DC where I had left.

The to cap off a wonderful day, it seems I’ve lost my visor for my aerohead. Shocker of a day’s TTing, when it’s not your day it’s not your day. To be fair, the aerohead is 4 years old and seen a lot of racing so I should replace it now in any case.

9 Likes

Crikey that is a season’s worth of shit in a day!

I did E2/10 on Saturday.

Quite horrible. I did a 9 mile progressive run (last 3 miles was 20:23 park run) so legs were trashed.

To cap that as I drove there from where I am near the coast the temp was just rising. 35 by the time I reached Newmarket and a nagging little breeze that felt like the blast when you open the oven.

Set off with low expectations, it was like breathing bread sauce! Couple binned it part way, one guy threw up on the turn rdb and trundled home. Everyone was reporting sky high HR’s and 25w missing.

Battled to just under 23 mins which was a minor compensation, only to get back to HQ and find the bastard TK gave me just over 23 mins!

Absolute misery fest!

9 Likes

Not quite the same as your bad day but I got my aerohead out to rub the visor after the 70.3 last weekend and there’s a load of scratches on it! I think it has caught on my cleat or something when I put it in the T2 bag :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I’ve tried it on briefly and it might not be as bad as I thought but I need a new visor. I’ve had it a few years but not used it much.

2 Likes

My first ever go at a 100 mile, nothing official, just a bit of fun with a friend, strictly no drafting. Course was 5 laps, each lap was an out an back with a dead turn at each end, in the middle of the course there was a left turn, where I had to stop twice for traffic.

Started too hard, but after 100km was going well at just under 2h30m, last 50km the wind picked up and my legs were screaming. Almost packed up after 4 laps, speed had dropped to 39.5kph, but decided to carry on. Managed to finish with an average speed of 39.2kph in 4h6m (160.9km).

Was only about 5% faster than IM pace, but the pain was 50% more, absolutely knackered at the end.

I must have a go at an official 100 mile, recon I can crack 4 hours, It’s hard to guage pacing, I think that if I started out at just over 40kph average, I would have been able to maintain the pace for longer

I must say that 100 mile TT’er deserve respect.

7 Likes

They are quite a hard one to pace, often the early laps have the better weather before the wind maybe picks up. I think Chris tends to start a bit slower then picks it up later on.

On a 50 you know if you overdo the first half it is only an hour of grovelling to do, on these it could be 3.

Aerodynamics and course make a lot of difference though, at the national the female winner was flying, probably not putting out massive watts but very aero and faster riders tend to have people passing them drinks etc.

2 Likes

100 TT is tough but suits the diesels amongst us. The right course on the right day and a sub 4 is a lifetime of glory.

5 Likes