The Time Trial Thread

Crikey F11/10 is the new V718. I remember V closing on 20:41, I had a 20:38 (long expired now) and was seeded 2nd slowest in a field of 120.

Then it was a bloody slow day…

Do they have middle marker or ‘slower than’ races there?

3 Likes

Sometimes. I need to find one and get a decent time for a 10

Northampton & District 15TT today 4th of 25 and £9 winnings to offset the cost of the day.

2 seconds of 2nd as well - 2nd to 5th was tight.

Course was the non sexy old A1 near Peterbororough and therefore the rock stars stayed away :hugs:

7 Likes

Some of you may remember my less than Olympic standard of TTing.
I gave everything a wide berth over the last 2 years and decided to make 2022 my VW60 debut.
The years have not been kind to my TT times.
I am still riding my Scott Speedster bought in about 2005, with aero clip ons.
I did the Ipswich Bicycle Club Open 10 on 28th May and was pleased to be 2nd woman overall, 1st woman V60+. Whilst I was reasonably pleased with my time of 38:02 on the rather sporting Crowfield course, you can guess how many women actually entered :wink: No prize dosh!

I was really pleased at this week’s IDCA league race on the Battisford course with 35:05, nearly 2 minutes season best. Still a long way to get back to my PB of 30:13 back in 2008 - but I was 14 years younger then!

At least I am still leading the VW60 category in the league, having won the category at every event I have entered. If another woman my age entered I expect I’d drop to 2nd place. But I can only race against whoever turns up, and if all the other older women are staying home watching the telly I can’t do much about that.

12 Likes

Rather breezy last night. Slower than last week at 35:41. Happy to still be in the 35’s given earlier performances. Still 1st VW60 :wink: :rofl:

11 Likes

Having a look at the Mallory Park weekly 10, think I’ll wait until a few slower people join in, don’t fancy the lantern rouge which could happen if the two slowest from last week don’t show up!

Just noticed there isn’t another one for a fortnight, we shall see

1 Like

@Symes Just do it! Doesn’t matter if you’re last - I am every week. Assuming you’re not at the pointy end of the event, you’re racing against yourself. And you’re unlikely to improve if you don’t keep practising. Give it a shot.

1 Like

I went last year (Sept time I think) for my first visit. Was pretty friendly despite the mix of full on TTers to those on roadies. Organisers chatting to everyone on the start line. I’d certainly rather have a range of people on the track than it being empty.

I had pretty much no idea what lap people were on… nor did I care. Can’t really get in anyones way. Other than the cost - there’s really no negatives.
Flip side of the cost - actually felt a bit more like an event rather than a local TT on sh1tty roads.

3 Likes

We’ll after what felt like a solid 25 last week, back down to earth.
Was hot, ditched the skinsuit for less aero Tri suit.
Legs felt awful from the off. Ready to quit end of Lap 3… Then end of Lap 4. No idea why I carried on.
Over a minute slower.
All the fast guys went faster, slower people all went slower. What’s that about??

5 Likes

Interesting club 10 tonight, legs shot after 70.3 Staffs so decided to ride at sweetspot but really focus on smoothness, aero, using effort wisely.

Surprisingly small loss of speed, which does show that grunting and grinding and fighting the bike to get every last watt out while it seems logical at the time may not be optimal.

Tempted to continue the experiment over next few weeks, raising the effort each week but only if that form can be maintained.

The bonus is that it’s a lot less brutal and I trotted off for a 2 mile run after, rather than heave a lung up.

9 Likes

@mw22 high atmospheric pressure and humidity is slow even when warmth and low winds suggests it is quick.

1 Like

high humidity is faster for the same density, but the actual density harms you more than humidity benefits.

Did a 23:34 last night, best time of the season, but 20s off a PB.

Got one pretty decent photo of my position and some others which don’t reveal too much other than:

my elbows don’t look that close together (but are as close as my current setup allows).
I thought my hands were higher than they are.
I hope it’s just the light, but it looks like I’m doing a Poet (see through suit over my backside)?!?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to improve?

These are clickable:
https://www.flammerougephotography.com/gallery/160622LTTS/160622_Gallery%20One./index.html#img=Rider%2034_LTTSA._191.JPG
https://www.flammerougephotography.com/gallery/160622LTTS/160622_Gallery%20One./index.html#img=Rider%2034_LTTSA._268.JPG
https://www.flammerougephotography.com/gallery/160622LTTS/160622_Gallery%20Two./index.html#img=Rider%2034_LTTSA._112.JPG

6 Likes

Is that the unvented Ultimate helmet?
My head totally cooked in that, so I sold it and bought the vented version :hot_face:

Other than that, no input from me!!!

Yep, the it’s ultimate which I picked up for a bit of a bargain. It’s absolutely dripping in sweat at the end. I’m generally a very hot/sweaty person with exercise, so can’t say I’ve really noticed it on a 10 miler, I guess I’m used to it. The longest I’ve ever used it for is 22km… so the 113 could be interesting :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Didn’t get it from eBay July last year did you???
That’s when I sold mine - about £120 IIRC?

Other than elbows in a bit more if your setup allows and turtle head it looks decent.

You guys all look like TDF riders

I’m feeling the fear of actually racing against anyone IRL

2 Likes

Miguel Indurain and I share the same height and weight, but the similarity ends there :sob:

1 Like

Haven’t we got enough sandbagging threads already :roll_eyes:

4 Likes