Titanium Frame Repairs

I contacted Enigma but they weren’t taking on any 3rd party work, helpful in their comms though, not just go away.
I’ve got 2 other Ti bikes (Van Nik Euros & Dialled Bikes Kobe Ti - be careful Googling that 2nd one) and never had an issue with any of them, even though I’ve been up as high as 19st at one time and am always around the 15/16st mark.
I genuinely think this is just a poor design and it hasn’t put me off Ti generally. That round tube is only about 2" long so all the stresses from the seatpost are directly transferred to those welds with no other support. A foot long tube secured at multiple points inside the aero section would have been hugely stronger and spread any loads through the structure.

the guys at Enigma are very helpful. I’ve met the owner, Jim Walker, a number of times (our offices were in the same town as Enigma’s HQ so we’d occasionally bump into each other in the street and have a chat). One of my Ti frames (MTB) is an Enigma; the roadies are Omega and built by Mark Riley who was involved with Enigma in their early days (he’s now doing his own thing - again)

1 Like

I was searching for a Litespeed Vortex frame in fleabay and saw this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Litespeed-Vortex-Titanium-Roadbike-Frame-/154666331708?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Looks like even titanium weld repairs can fail again in the same spot. Such a pity :cry:

1 Like

Yeah, if mine goes again I think I’ll give the same place one more try and ask them to weld all around the top, not just the cracked bit. If it goes again after that I’ll call it quits and put it on the wall of the shed.

1 Like