Trail & Ultra Running Thread

agree with @tunster . Using the same muscles all the time , really takes it out of you . I did a fair bit of walking the first time I did it and managed a sub 24 hours but that was 10 years ago . I tend to do a 25 min run 5 min walk to take on food/liquids as I know 15+ hours in I tend to lose my appetite.

Can you believe its only 1.5 weeks till I fly to Costa Rica for the coastal challenge . Training has been so so , its so hard getting up and running when it’s so cold . Motivation has been 50/50 . I didn’t really lose any weight (dam you Christmas) . So I am probably at my heaviest ever, no bikini body for me . But on a plus - I am nearly 51 and feel relatively healthy , and can run . As long as I can finish each day in that heat and humidly then I will be happy . Oh and I am being very anti social as I don’t want to catch anything before I fly if I can help it…

5 Likes

I agree @p00key - despite doing plenty of these events I still struggle with taking calls on board during the race and always pay for it towards the end

Good luck in the jungle - look forward to hearing all about it

2 Likes

I came 4th in 2018😎, (the hot one), so at pointy end, I walked a fair bit. I suggest those that I passed during the evening, didn’t…

7 Likes

Hope your final week of training/tapering go well. Good luck in Costa Rica, really looking forward too to hearing all about it. The pictures from this event always look amazing.

2 Likes

Arc of Attrition starts in a couple of hours. Looks like the weather will be on their side this year :crossed_fingers:

Stephen Cousins doing his ‘live from’ stuff again this year I think. I spent way too many hours last time looking at dark village halls :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/c/FilmMyRun/videos

4 Likes

Weather has taken a turn for the worse. I should be in the 50 right now😢

I looked for live updates last night but could only see a long pre amble on Mud Crew TVfilmed by Stephen Cousins. Hope to catch up with it later.

Winner did it in 19 hours! That’s bloody impressive. Must’ve been pretty dry underfoot and decent conditions.

What’s the weather doing there @FatPom? It’s fine up here.

Holy shit, is that record?

Weather was ok for most of yesterday at Hants, got progressively worse towards Somt and was raining consistently last evening.
Today is much windier and drizzle

We’ve been getting battered with another severe storm, the local weather station is reading 80+mph gusts. We still have power but I’m hearing that there’s a few power outages again. I think I’ll run on the treadmill this morning!

4 Likes

You in Scotland? Someone has registered my number with SSEN, so I get the text messages. No power until midday today for some people (from about 10am yesterday!)

Anyway, a former TTer just came 4th in the Lady Anne Way :clap:t3::ok_hand:t4:

156km from Skipton to Penrith. A mere 4,000m of elevation in 20 hours during Storm Malik :exploding_head:

5 Likes

I am, yep. The power is probably out for the same poor f*ckers who lost power a few weeks ago.

That’s a hugely impressive result, especially with the weather. That’s going to be a memorable race.

2 Likes

Power was off for 30 hours in Deeside. Got a free lunch from an SSEN paid for takeaway van.

5 Likes

I wondered if you had been unlucky again. Glad it wasn’t as long as last time to reconnect you. The next one has started blowing in the last hour which I think is heading your way.

1 Like

Yeah I put the chickens away an hour ago and it was still and calm. Now it’s rattling the windows.

I’m hoping all these storms make fire wood cheap to buy come spring. I’m going to stock-up.

2 Likes

One of my training goals in my build to Cape Wrath was do complete the race distance of 400km in a month of training without breaking down. Thought I might get to that point in March or April, but just hit 458km in January !

I ran every day, twice a day on 3 days per week and built up to doing a 3 day block of 32k/20k/23k. Most of my running was very easy, but did throw in some hill reps and fartleks occasionally. Previous biggest run month was 400km back in Jan 2020, I don’t swim or bike much anymore.

Feb starts with an easy few days lead in to the Pilgrim Challenge.

12 Likes

Nice work Doug. Don’t peak too soon! :+1:

2 Likes

My Garmin claims I am “peaking” !

1 Like

100km a week is about my limit (when I am proper fit)

Any more than that and I lose to love for it

1 Like

Yeah somewhere around 80km for me. I have a few 100km plus weeks under my belt but they are exceptional. I remember reading an interview with Nicky Spinks where she said she never goes over 50miles per week.

I imagine 50 of her miles are pretty savage though!

4 Likes

No dots to watch, just checkpoint timings for the Pilgrim this weekend, apparently I’m in 24th place (that won’t last long once we actually start)

9 Likes