Trail & Ultra Running Thread

Fantastics effort mate and great result. Congrats to yourself and @p00key .
I felt a bit of FOMO reading that but still glad with my decision. Next year :+1:

2 Likes

@tunster was good spending time with you . If we donā€™t get in WS same time, same place :joy: next year . I canā€™t say I enjoyed it that much - more my lack of training ! But also my slowest time ever. But itā€™s an ā€˜easierā€™ one to get out early in the year. Iā€™m currently at an expo for work in Barcelona - lovely and sunny but my feet and legs are so sore from walking around for hours :joy:

8 Likes

Got my online medical certificate off Dr Nick and itā€™s been accepted for the CCC!

Iā€™m running out of excuses now :grimacing:

13 Likes

Absolute animal

7 Likes

Someone you know? The boys were texting me overnight about how quick he was moving. Thatā€™s a cracking time on a tough course!

We taught him all he knows about bike ridingā€¦

2 Likes

He promptly gave up bike riding and took up ultra runningā€¦

He won a race last year, canā€™t remember what itā€™s called but it was around North Devon and Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™s originally from there or his family are.

Heā€™s had a lot of feet issues the last few years but seems to be managing quite well atm!

1 Like

Ah yeah I remember you saying. I thought it might be the same guy. That was my friendā€™s event as well. This was probably his freebie as the prize for winning.

1 Like

OK dot watchers, you can have a whole 8 days of watching dots on the Cape Wrath Ultra starting on Sunday, I am #265

Feel free to drop me jokes, sarcastic comments, and bad puns on the UltraMail (click on the envelope icon when viewing a runnerā€™s details) Iā€™ll get them at the end of the day (phone reception is limited so I will be offline for much of the week).

A guide to following the race:

Training has been up and down a bit, was going great in Jan + Feb and had great races at the Pilgrim Challenge and Amersham 50K, but developed a groin strain at the end of March (thatā€™ll teach me to do intervals). Took two weeks off running and switched to walking and turbo trainer. Slowly edged back into running but was not in any state to start the Rose of the Shires 54miler at the start of April. Since then I have gently been building back some running distance but keeping any intensity to the turbo.

Bags are packed, fly up to Inverness on Friday afternoon then coach to Fort William on Saturday morning for registration.
I think I am as ready as I can be, but this is well beyond anything I have done before, will take the first couple of shorter days very easy, day 3 is the first long day, try to recover on the next 2 shorter days before the last 2 long days and then the ā€œsprintā€ finish. Weather looks 10-15C and showery so about as good as it could be. Wish me luck I may be gone some timeā€¦

14 Likes

That is a serious undertaking Doug but youā€™re no stranger to multi day events. The very best of luck and weā€™ll be watching and cheering :+1:

1 Like

Good luck Doug :+1:

Will check in when I can.

1 Like

So there was a back yard Ultra in Germany which finished last night. I believe that they got up to 90 laps!!! Which I think is a new record :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thatā€™s not a race, thatā€™s a holiday :smile:

2 Likes

One for @tunster and @p00key

3 Likes

I remember seeing him at that aid station - sorted me out with some Tailwind

Thanks for posting

1 Like

Bringing to the top so Doug gets some love whilst we are glued to Lanza as well,

3 Likes

Just off the plane in Inverness having a well deserved pint and burger (the race catering is all vegan, I donā€™t mind Iā€™m flexi). Coach over to Fort William in the morning to register.

11 Likes

Smash it Doug!

1 Like

Go get it buddy :+1:

1 Like

Good luck Doug.

If youā€™re heading through Inverness on the way back, head to the Black Isle bar. The best wood fired pizza in the UK (I researched extensively :wink:) and about 20-30 craft beers on tap. Brilliant atmosphere as well.

3 Likes