Trail & Ultra Running Thread

Very mixed bag at the trail race for me today. As I’d entered so late on Friday it looks like I was missed off an email that announced the start changing from 9am to 8am. I got there and only the organisers were at HQ! Luckily I know her a bit as she’s in our running club and she let me go when I was ready, so about 50 minutes after everyone else.

I’d downloaded a GPX onto my watch as I didn’t know some bits of the route and I wasn’t sure of the start, I know bits of that area but there’s a few ways up to the second CP. And I couldn’t follow the people that knew it.

As a result I think I also overcooked the first 10k, I’d also left a T-shirt on over my base layer and the weather turned out a lot better than the forecast.

I was also not eating early enough! I started catching some people as it is also a long distance walkers event and some of the slower runners.

I then went onto a bit of the course I’d never ran before, and the GPX file was very hit & miss, this led to a few places where I was searching for routes through heather and bracken and losing lots of time as well as getting frustrated. A bit further on it took me a completely bizarre way but one a rambler might go.

Yesterday was also catching up with me but I plodded on and picked up some bits where I knew the route well. Managed to refuel a bit at an aid station. After that it was a slowing plod to the end!

I know the lad that won it and he lives and runs more regularly over there, he did nearly 3K less than me and without all the turning back! Another issue was that because my watch was in trail mode it has that annoying setting that scrolls through the pages so the breadcrumb map kept disappearing.

Add to this my toe was rubbing where it never has and I could feel a blister, and the toenail I pretty much lost at the 3 peaks has taken another battering!

But, despite all that it was a nice route and to learn some new paths, I’m going to download his GPX and might look where he went differently in case I do it again one day.

I finished in 4:30, moving time as 4:16, I think I should be capable of sub 3:50 on a better day when I’m fresher.

And it mostly achieved what I wanted, a long trail run and in fairly warm conditions. Ok, UTMB is going to be a lot longer, particularly the climbs but this was a useful run.

12 Likes

Sounds like a tough Jeff I’m sure you learnt a lot. I usually run in trail mode but I have auto scroll switched off and the map stays on for me.

I’m trying Ultra Run mode tomorrow

2 Likes

Good work in difficult circumstances @jeffb

Suspect I might have sacked it off and gone back to bed🤣

A good exercise in problem solving under pressure if nothing else

3 Likes

Sounds like you had a good training run on tired legs there Jeff - well done for that. Goal achieved I would say. :+1:

1 Like

Great effort Jeff - think I would of had a melt down - so well done for sticking it out.

3 Likes

Lee Bay at 2hrs and Ilfracombe at 3hrs. 20 km approx. Mega slow

10 Likes

Oops, should be in Training thread!

Well done for starting. I’m pretty sure that had I arrived an hour late that I’d have sacked it off and gone to a cafe for second breakfast.

2 Likes

I needed the training so decided to start!

Fear of not finishing or surviving UTMB is strong :joy:

5 Likes

What number are you at UTMB Jeff , we will be out there just fangirling over the elites but will keep an eye for you.

2 Likes

Not sure I’ve got my number yet, I’ll update it when I know. I’m also wondering if there’s start groups or if that was just last year and it’s a jostle for position!

Thanks though if you do see me.

5 Likes

You are so lucky. Feeling really jealous that you’re off to Chamonix next week. Please post lots of fangirl photos for me :grin:

@jeffb - you’re going to have an amazing time running the CCC. Numbers are up: 3944

3 Likes

Thanks, I was just going to post that the live trail app has confirmed that number.

It also has a completion time of 17:49 :flushed: no idea how it’s come to that conclusion :man_shrugging:t2: Although I’d accept it!

Just need my toe to sort itself out now!

2 Likes

I’m sure you know all this Jeff but just in case.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think there’s some route videos as well

Start groups were only introduced last year due to Covid

Not sure if they will repeat this year

As I think I have said before always worth getting there early for a good position near the start/start of the group to take some pressure off the early cut offs

2 Likes

I thought they were probably just last year. Planning on getting fairly high up as you’ve said. Supposed to be nearly 2000 starters

1 Like

Watching the Loyd Purvis video at the moment. He’s describing the best places to eat - I’m so hungry, yoghurt is not hittng the spot!!

2 Likes

We are watching one right now about him chasing a sunrise, it looks amazing.

1 Like

Just watching it now - Loyd is producing some really nice Chamonix content. I’m off to the Alps next week, can’t wait :blush:

2 Likes